• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UT Austin Smash Club 1/30/10 Meeting Results

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Melee Crew Battle

Kal's Crew:
Noc
MT
Nike
Tuco
Kal
Juan
SG
blackfox51
JC

...defeats...

Tirno's Crew:
Xest
RedShadow
Spike
Tirno
Kyle/King Mosquito
Reqy
Rawr
Nubz
OMG Kage!?

Vids:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Melee Singles

Results:
1: Kal (fox/shiek/marth/jiggs O.o)
2: Tirno (falcon/falco)
3: Nike (marth)
4: Kyle (peach)
5: Reqy (marth)
5: Noc (falcon all the way)
7: MT (fox/marth)
7: YUM (falco)
9: JC (peach?)
9: SG (link)
9: Rawr (shiek)
9: Tuco (falco)
13: Nubz (fox)
13: Xest (falco)

Bracket:

Vids:
1. Kal vs Nike
2. Kyle vs Nike - Pt1 Pt2
3. Winners finals - Tirno vs Kal - Pt1 Pt2
4. Losers finals - Nike vs Tirno - Pt1 Pt2
5. Grand finals - Tirno vs Kal - Pt1 Pt2

Brawl Singles

Results:
*1: Noc (ROB/DK)
*2: Nike
*3: Reqy (peach)
4: HMV (toon link)
5: Ace (marth)
5: Xest
7: JC
7: Rohan (snake)
9: Edge

*After my losers semi set with Hector, I was supposed to play Reqy but he had already left. Then, I was supposed to play Nike in grand finals but he forfeited since he wanted to keep playing melee (can't blame him lol). So, these results aren't that meaningful heh.

Bracket:

Vids:
None. To those hoping to see non-melee matches on our YouTube account, I'll record some Brawl matches next time. In the meantime, might I suggest watching some of our awesome melee vids? :)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
That's the second straight Brawl tournament that's failed...
We either need to get some hardcore Brawlers or just accept its not a competitive game.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Noc the recording and the smashclub are just amazing. I'll be trying to make as many of these as I can. Can't wait to watch crews :3

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Wow, the bracket looked pretty crazy, I missed out =/
And I had a chance to close out crews but my Falco got *****...

Kal

Smash Champion
Shoutouts <3

Kyle - Thanks for coming and thanks for bringing a setup. It was a lot of fun!

Nike - Woot, that was a fun tourney. Grats on 3rd place. I think you should pick a new Marth vs. Falcon stage. >_>

Tirno - Good job vs. Nike. Your Falcon is getting pretty good. I would've liked to see more Falco use out of you, especially against Nike's Marth!

MT - I hated those teams matches. I cut my wrists hard that night. :(

Nubz - Good to see you again man. Hope to see you again next time.

RedShadow - Your commentary sort of blows. Mine wasn't great either, but it was probably funny enough for people to not care. "Kal's going to try and space aerials. Also, he will try and not lose stocks while trying to make his opponent lose stocks." Also, Clay owned you. GET *****!

Noc - Thanks for getting all this together. Way to kick ****ing *** in Crews. Seriously, you broke RedShadow's soul, it was epic. You've gotten so much better over the Christmas break. Good **** man.

Rohan - We don't interact much at these things. Start playing Melee!

Rawr - You were there too!

What did you guys think of my commentary? I think I was a bit too loud and funny and should've taken it more seriously. If I provide commentary next time I'll try and make it less ridiculous.

Also, my commentary during crews was just awful. Just mute the video. >_>

G-Man512

Smash Rookie
after watching the crew battle I never realized how horrible my Falco is.

I was also not aware of Kage being at the club! I actually thought he was gonna beat team Kal for a second until FD was picked.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Rohan - We don't interact much at these things. Start playing Melee!
lol, I can do Melee teams, I was actually doing okay with Marth when I wasn't killing my team mate. Otherwise you should do some B+, try Fox, he's pretty fun, despite the fact you can't waveshine. Actually you may be interested to know some hackers are making Brawl Project M, which is basically Melee 2.0.
Marth gets kinda boring after a while, just fairs and dancing blade.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Some shoutouts:

Kal, great job with getting the events going as usual. Where would the club be without you? Your commentary definitely makes the matches more fun to watch, and it can be quite insightful.

G-Man/Tuco, you did quite well against Edgar, seeing as he's Edgar. Your falco should not be underestimated.

Thanks for the compliments, Nike. I never played you! I hope you do make it to more of these cuz we gotta play.

Jamal, I think we're pretty even, maybe it just wasn't your day. And your commentary isn't horrible, just could use some more enthusiasm and analysis of the players, characters, matchup, stage, etc.

Reqy, still too good. Just like the last tourney, I had the misfortune of facing you in the first round lol. At least I didn't let you 2-0 me this time.

Jose, maybe I only beat you because I was well warmed-up against falco after playing Xest and Tuco lol. Too bad you SD'd a couple times.

Kyle, I need to practice against Peach more so come to more meetings! I expect we will start doing pot tournaments at the next meeting.

Edgar, don't listen to Kal, keep using Falcon. Come to the Darkrain side haha.

Hector, you'll beat me in Brawl one of these days...you'll beat me in TvC any day you feel like heh.

Rohan, thanks for transporting setups and sorry I wasn't there to help. At the next meeting, we can see if enough people are interested in a Brawl+ singles tourney.

Rawr, you were there? haha jk

Xest, I got my revenge mwahaha! I gotta say though, are matches weren't pretty, not exactly SS vs DP.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
Some shoutouts:

Kal, great job with getting the events going as usual. Where would the club be without you? Your commentary definitely makes the matches more fun to watch, and it can be quite insightful.

G-Man/Tuco, you did quite well against Edgar, seeing as he's Edgar. Your falco should not be underestimated.

Thanks for the compliments, Nike. I never played you! I hope you do make it to more of these cuz we gotta play.

Jamal, I think we're pretty even, maybe it just wasn't your day. And your commentary isn't horrible, just could use some more enthusiasm and analysis of the players, characters, matchup, stage, etc.

Reqy, still too good. Just like the last tourney, I had the misfortune of facing you in the first round lol. At least I didn't let you 2-0 me this time.

Jose, maybe I only beat you because I was well warmed-up against falco after playing Xest and Tuco lol. Too bad you SD'd a couple times.

Kyle, I need to practice against Peach more so come to more meetings! I expect we will start doing pot tournaments at the next meeting.

Edgar, don't listen to Kal, keep using Falcon. Come to the Darkrain side haha.

Hector, you'll beat me in Brawl one of these days...you'll beat me in TvC any day you feel like heh.

Rohan, thanks for transporting setups and sorry I wasn't there to help. At the next meeting, we can see if enough people are interested in a Brawl+ singles tourney.

Rawr, you were there? haha jk

Xest, I got my revenge mwahaha! I gotta say though, are matches weren't pretty, not exactly SS vs DP.
and me and juan dont get shotouts??? well im hurt. think ill go /anhero now :(
lmfao j/k ya. and rohan i thought u knew brawl was not that competitive, at least now anyways

Kal

Smash Champion
You guys didn't play any matches with me. :(

I usually just go off of the bracket and start listing people I know. Sorry guys!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Jaamalllin'...and I hope ya like jamalling too..

Noc

Smash Journeyman
and me and juan dont get shotouts??? well im hurt. think ill go /anhero now :(
lmfao j/k ya. and rohan i thought u knew brawl was not that competitive, at least now anyways
Did you want to get shotout??? lol

But seriously, thanks to Juan and Andrew for getting there on time and getting things set up, you definitely helped make the meeting a success!

MT_

Smash Ace
Clay and I are both knocked out by both Kyle and Reqy and he places higher than me.

Good ****. Kal, I know you loved those team matches.

Kal

Smash Champion
Clay and I are both knocked out by both Kyle and Reqy and he places higher than me.
'Tis the problem with double elimination. Unless it's seeded, all that really matters is top two. When it's seeded, you can get more accurate results. Ideally, you would run a round robin, but round robin is time consuming and most people don't enjoy it. There is also no final set in round robin, which robs the entrants of a lot of the excitement you would expect to have in a tournament.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Let's try to seed the next one. We can base it off the club melee rankings. I think they look more like this now though:

1. Mitchell (marth/fox/falco)
2. Kal (fox/marth)
3. Reqy (fox/falco)
4. Anupam (marth)
5. Tirno (falco/falcon)
6. Spike (fox/marth)
7. RedShadow (sheik)
8. Noc (falcon)
8. Jose (falco)
8. MT (fox/marth)
8/11. blackfox51 (falco/falcon/peach/ganon/LOL)
12. Rawr (shiek)
12. Tuco (falco)
14. Xest (falco)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Brawl + rankings:

1. Brown Link (Kirby/Snake)
1. Noc (ROB/Captain Falcon)
3. Tirno (Marth)
4. Kal (Marth)
5. VIN (Captain Falcon)
6. HMV (Captain Falcon)
7. Dune (Ivysaur/Zero Suit Samus)
8. NKIL (Mario/Ness)
9. ASH (Zelda/Pit)

Noc

Smash Journeyman
We should do Brawl rankings way before we do Brawl+ rankings; most of these ppl haven't played each other in this game ever lol. So, totally not possible to say who's better than who. Plus, I don't think anybody really cares about B+ rankings.

But since you brought it up...are you sure you and I are tied? Especially if I use ROB, I really don't think you can win a set against me. Also, Vincent is pretty good at B+.

MT_

Smash Ace
I need to play Mitchell... better than Kal? GG maybe Kal has a reason to practice tech skill now or something haha.

And Reqy sandbags too much. Put Edgar higher!! haha

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, Edgar is better than Anupam and probably better than Reqy. I don't know if Mitch is better than I am based on one tournament, but he did very well in Dallas so it's probable. Generally speaking, you don't make ranking changes (especially to those ranked highest) based on a single event. This is to keep things consistent.

ALSO SO I CAN HOLD ONTO FIRST PLACE FOR A LITTLE LONGER! :mad:

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we do need more tourney results to make definitive changes. But, it's safe to say Mitchell should be 1st or 2nd, Edgar 3rd or 4th, and me just below Jamal.

Kal

Smash Champion
You don't have to be a UT student to show up. Also, there's a tournament at Tirno's apartment tomorrow.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Those B+ rankings were for the lulz, and to "convince" more people to play it.
And I think if I just use ROB against your ROB, I would give you a fair challenge cuz I wouldn't be getting punished by those gay off-stage tactics that basically gimp 90% of the cast at a low percentage. There's literally almost no risk in attempting fairs off the stage thanks to his ridiculous recovery, and its so easy to combo with him. The only learning curve is getting used to his weird hit-boxes, especially his bair. But I'm definitely capable of winning a set against your falcon, as long as I stay calm and focus. Like, if you really wanna judge how good I am, you have to look at my performance at the beginning of our smash sessions, when there's no fatigue and I'm genuinely focused on my spacing and timing.
And I forgot that Vincent has gotten pretty good fairly quickly.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
And I think if I just use ROB against your ROB, I would give you a fair challenge...
Prove it. (Words mean nothing.)
...gay off-stage tactics that basically gimp 90% of the cast at a low percentage. There's literally almost no risk in attempting fairs off the stage thanks to his ridiculous recovery, and its so easy to combo with him. The only learning curve is getting used to his weird hit-boxes, especially his bair.
There you go again complaining about how broken a character is. You want to ban ROB in B+ the same way you want MK to be banned in Brawl? Has it ever occured to you that I don't win with ROB because of how good he is as a character but how skillfully I use him? You make it sound like any bozo can pick up ROB and quickly start ****** with him but that is simply not the case.
But I'm definitely capable of winning a set against your falcon, as long as I stay calm and focus.
Ok, just because you do beat me sometimes when you're in the right mood does NOT mean you deserve to be tied with me in the rankings. That's like me saying that, because I have taken some games off Reqy in melee, I am even with him. Pretty basic concept.

So, to quote Wolf: "You're good...but I'm better!" haha

Btw, the reason I am arguing about this is not because I really care about B+ rankings but because you are being unreasonable and proud again and somebody has to call you out on it.

@BloodBowler: Glad you liked the vids. The meetings will continue to run pretty much every other Saturday throughout this semester. We have a calendar up on the OP of our thread. And non-UT students are definitely allowed to come to meetings.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Semester? Does this mean when the university year is over the meetings stop? I ask because my third Texas trip will be all summer long and I have yet to play American smash (Opportunities I have sorely squandered).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
There you go again complaining about how broken a character is. You want to ban ROB in B+ the same way you want MK to be banned in Brawl? Has it ever occured to you that I don't win with ROB because of how good he is as a character but how skillfully I use him? You make it sound like any bozo can pick up ROB and quickly start ****** with him but that is simply not the case.
There YOU go again putting words in my mouth, did I SAY broken??? I even said before in the main thread that I don't think he's broken.
But it is a fact that ROBs off stage game takes little true skill, any person with an idea of how to gimp someone can just jump off the stage and fair, and then easily recover with that ridiculous up B. Watch the set of Chu's falcon vs JCaesar's ROB. Look at how hard Chu had to work for his KOs, while how simple it was for JCaesar to just get Chu off the stage and kill him at 30%, particularly on Lylat Cruise.
True, it does take practice and skill to get an opponent off the stage, which you have and done, but otherwise its like Melee Jiggs all over again, only worse cuz at least Jiggs is easy to KO and doesn't have projectiles.

Ok, just because you do beat me sometimes when you're in the right mood does NOT mean you deserve to be tied with me in the rankings. That's like me saying that, because I have taken some games off Reqy in melee, I am even with him. Pretty basic concept.
No, my point in saying that was when I do beat you, its mostly within 15 to 20 minutes after we start playing. Whenever you play someone in a tournament, you've typically had some sort of a break before the set, which really helps to calm me down and focus as opposed to playing matches over and over again. Like, if when we played we took breaks after every few matches, I'm sure my emotions wouldn't get the best of me so that I stop concentrating, but then you wouldn't like that...

and proud again and somebody has to call you out on it.
That's just how I am, nothing I can do about it. I need to be better than somebody in SOMETHING for own sense of moral support. You do realize that you being better than me in B+ makes you virtually better than me in everything we both like? What do you think that does for my sense of confidence? And its not so much being the best as not being the worst. No one else in that ranking takes the game seriously so by you saying you're better than me is essentially like saying you're the best and I'm the worst.
And out of the two of the us, I'm the one that actually practices the game and researches strategies and techniques on smashboards, which you only do for Melee, and hard work SHOULD result in positive outcomes.

MT_

Smash Ace
That's just how I am, nothing I can do about it. I need to be better than somebody in SOMETHING for own sense of moral support. You do realize that you being better than me in B+ makes you virtually better than me in everything we both like? What do you think that does for my sense of confidence? And its not so much being the best as not being the worst. No one else in that ranking takes the game seriously so by you saying you're better than me is essentially like saying you're the best and I'm the worst.
And out of the two of the us, I'm the one that actually practices the game and researches strategies and techniques on smashboards, which you only do for Melee, and hard work SHOULD result in positive outcomes.
Character flaw johns.

Seriously, someone being better than you is the natural course of life, not just in Melee and B+. Regardless of whether or not you or Clay are better at B+, tricking yourself into believing that you are better than him just because you need to be better than him at something is something you need to stop doing. Don't blame others for being better. (Of course, this is just hypothetically assuming that Clay is better than you.)

Also, for the whole ROB and broken thing, even though you didn't say specifically that he was broken, it's clear you were complaining about the character's superior abilities. Notice how no one else does that, in a serious tone at least (except maybe a few people with Jiggs in Melee, but no one else in Austin does that).

Kal

Smash Champion
You kids are so argumentative.

BloodBowler, if you're interested in playing smash, there will be a lot of people wanting play during the summer. There's a separate Austin thread for both Melee and Barlw, so you'll definitely be able to find people to play.

Rohan, Clay beating you is likely a result of his Melee skills.

Anyway, what's with me being 4th on the rankings anyway? I've never participated in a Barlw+ event.

Top Bottom