• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usmash to Deal with Falco Dair from top platform?

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a good option on BF and DL. I've used it successfully. This could shift the matchup in Samus favor. Also, you can do it out of shield. Thoughts?

sheggy

Smash Rookie
The only problem i see with that is that it requires a read. Samus's usmash is a pretty slow move to cover the span of the upsmash. If falco baits it, its an easy punish. It doesn really have any fast startup or ending animations so it can be baited and punished rather easily. Now if you do get it, it can be a good mixup but the problem lies within the hitboxes and the percentage the opponent is at. You can get the weak hitboxes at the beggining and you still need to complete the animation and falco just falls our for another punish if they're good at reacting. And if you you manage to finish the animation, there isnt really any good Knockback on the move so you're still within Falco's close range that he can react to what you do.
I think you would have to rely on getting the back good hitbox of it and landing that is somewhat unreliable.

I may be recalling the knockback and the speed of upsmash wrong but this is me theorycrafting based on my recollection of the move. It may work as a mixup just to stop dairs every once in a while but I wouldn't rely in it heavily to turn the tides in Falco's favor.
Maybe someone else has some insight on this?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's better to just not challenge Falco dair.

Ebb&FLo

Smash Rookie
Too punishable and predictable. Just avoid Falco's dair, it beats out almost everything you have. If you feel safe you might be able to trade for an Up-B like rye_un says. Over all I would say just don't challenge it at all.

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Mmh, I could never make it work, dair seemed to beat my upsmash most of the time. I'll definitely try it out more. Maybe my timing was just bad. I found that Up-Air has a really good hitbox that hides her hurtbox. That's my strat if he's Dairing a lot from the top platform. It doesn't exactly let you get follow ups, but much like repeat Up-B's it'll force him to change is approach.

http://i.imgur.com/Ni8q2.gif

Top Bottom