• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usmash Juggling

peeup

Smash Lord
I haven't seen this in any videos I've watched, so I just wanted to know if I was the only person smart enough to use such a beast strategy, or the only person retarted enough to think such a strategy is actually effective...

Olimar's up smash comes out pretty quick, has great range and great priority, so I use it to juggle my opponents. Basically, I send them up in the air and dash around to get underneath them, then upsmash them when they come down to keep them in the air. This works all the time of CPUs, and it has worked to some extent on some of the humans I've played (I haven't played that many) so I just wanted to know if this can be used in proffessional level play.

tpyo

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing not, since your opponent can usually DI out of the way, or possibly even airdodge it?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Well the thing is it doesn't really work against smart opponent. You yourself says it works against CPU's, that's obvious. But really this can't be used, they can move around enough or use a move that moves them to get away from you easily.

Pinoy

Smash Rookie
well, as opposed to juggling, why don't u try to up B while they come down.
I realize that this won't do much knockback, but its quick and can be unpredictable. The downside is if u miss there is a bit of lagtime, but still a very effective move.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
well, as opposed to juggling, why don't u try to up B while they come down.
I realize that this won't do much knockback, but its quick and can be unpredictable. The downside is if u miss there is a bit of lagtime, but still a very effective move.
Another thing I noticed is after you use it the pikmin are wandering. So they can be killed. Be careful when using this as an attack.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
The hyphen smash is very effective - I have been able to get 2 upsmashes to upair at low damages many times before - so what you are saying is actually very effective if used correctly.

Pinoy

Smash Rookie
Up b is not an effective move for this situation, a utilt nair or uair is much more applicable.
Yes, i understand that those moves are a lot more effective, but after using them time after time a smart opponent would react to it with air dodge or try to perform a dair (especially if their range is longer than your nair and utilt). If you wanted to mix things up, attack with an up B, but like i said, be cautious with it.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I think this tactic works really well if you up-smash, then follow up with a dashing up-smash (I refuse to call it 'hyphen smash'. You don't smash out of a "hyphen". You smash out of a dash. Since when do people replace verbs and nouns with English punctuation marks? It's like saying "My Olimar is going to semi-colon you in your pathetic apostrophe. Get a comma, you bloody asterisk!" Ridiculous.). However, if you up-smash your opponent high into the air, and then you stand directly below your opponent and wait for them to conveniently float down on top of you, this tactic doesn't work out so smoothly.

I usually like to up-smash my opponent into the air, then stand quite a bit of a distance away from my opponent, but close enough to be able to run in and perform a dashing up-smash. I never try to stand directly below my opponent and then up-smash, because usually the opponent justs DI's away.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Boost Smash.

The people over in the Snake forums, not that I frequent them or anything, call it a Mortar Slide.

I call it the crazy dash-attack-canceled upsmash thing, where you dash attack with C-Stick down and hit Up+Z to cancel the dash attack animation and Upsmash with the canceled dash attack's momentum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k

It's not exactly a hyphen smash, not in the most traditional sense, but I find that after one UpSmash with Olimar it's alot easier to catch someone with the Boost Smash than a regular old hyphen smash, since the Pikmin don't necessarily follow the same distance as Olimar does.

peeup

Smash Lord
Boost Smash.
wait-- can olimar do something like a mortar slide? I thought it was only falco, snake, and wario...

However, if you up-smash your opponent high into the air, and then you stand directly below your opponent and wait for them to conveniently float down on top of you, this tactic doesn't work out so smoothly.
Yeah, I figured. But if they did DI away from you, would it work to dash underneath them then "dash smash"?

The hyphen smash is very effective - I have been able to get 2 upsmashes to upair at low damages many times before - so what you are saying is actually very effective if used correctly.
Definately at low percentages--I can grab, dthrow, usmash, usmash easily. But, is it possible to juggle or do something like that at higher percentages? Assuming Olimar can dash fast enough, I don't see why not (unless, of course, they airdodge).

Sage2050

Smash Cadet
i used to do this, but i stopped once i realized i was gimping a low %age kill move from stale moves.

i tend to rack up damage with fair/dair and wait for high 90%s and low 100%s to get a usmash kill.

Top Bottom