• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the mortar slide correctly

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
The mortar slide is a very good technique if used properly, but it is also highly overrated I think...

Many people act like its the best approach/attack ever, and after you master it, you feel pretty good, but still, a skill isn't good if you don't use it correctly.

After playing a few Snake players who know this technique, I come to find that many of them just spam it, hoping that it will just make them win, now that I have made Snake my secondary and have gotten a much better understanding of him, there a few things to keep in mind when using this attack.

I'm pretty sure that mostly everyone agrees that the easiest way to do it is by using the c stick to dash, then hitting up on the joy stick and hitting z, if you want a play by play then its run...this is where everyone gets confused, you don't dash then hit down the c stick, you hit down (or any other direction you see fit except up) then immeditaly hit up on your joy stick and hold z to charge it (let go of z to let the mortar fly of course) This is the easiest way, there are other ways to do it of course, another easy method I find is changing the left shoulder button to attack. Use the shoulder button to commence your dash attack then immediately hit the c stick up...remember, with both ways, you aren't hitting anything at the same time...don't get that mixed up, the steps go in order, not the same time, you gotta be fast, but they are never pushed at the same time...

Snake also gets a quick frame of invincibility. I been messing around with it and it seems to be when he pulls out the mortar, cause during that animation, I been able to fly over my mines with no problem, keep that mind when using it to approach.

Now, don't be a blind man and just mortar slide all day, you have to be smart about it...good players are smart and think, dumb players just mash buttons and attack blindly...

1. Don't mess up your stage control...
If you chucking c4's mines, and grenades, don't just mortar slide like a fool...you will end up sliding head first into a mine, grenade, or a c4 that has run out of time, and you can destroy your mines if they are on platforms, you planted them, don't get rid of them.

2. It is a move that can be used to get some great range
The slide gives Snake a giant speed boost, so use it to get around the stage. If your opponent is all the way on th side of the stage, a mortar slide will catch them offguard at times, especially if they are sent flying to the other side, its good for chasing, so use it to catch your opponent, but don't use it to much, you need to keep a balance between your slide chasing and your ranged explosives.

3. Know what you are doing
Yea, don't do it just for the sake of doing it, there is reason in madness, so always know what you are doing when you are going mad with the mortar slide, it is still a attack that can be dodged and punished, especially with characters who use projectiles, don't get yourself punished and killed, and know the distance, you feel pretty stupid when you flop right in front of a opponent's forward smash...

I dunno, everyone probably knows this already, but I'm just saying, its a good technique, but its not the best move ever and highly overrated, know how to use it and be tactical, like Snake ^.^

But please, discuss, how do you use the mortar slide, and what are some setups you perform with it?

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
I think there are a lot of generalities in this post.

Like how you say we should balance mortar sliding with distancing with nades, I don't think that's always a good idea. What about balancing mortar slides, distancing yourself properly, explosives, and tilt spamming?

I don't think this move is overrated at all. I think it's very hard to use poorly, actually. Unless you're literally ONLY doing this move, and you're reasonably fast with pulling it off (I mean, not running for 2-3 seconds before using it, so they will consistently predict it) then it's very difficult to punish.

As for how I use the mortar slide, it's not a lot of variation.

I use it to reach the edge quickly if my opponent is off of it. I use it to close distance between my opponent and myself. I use it when I am out of tilt range, but I am still close enough to quickly pull off a dash attack in which I don't think they will be able to react quickly enough to block. I also sometimes throw nades (No cooking) and if they go to pick it up, I will mortar slide them right when they are about to pick it up. Hell, sometimes I get lucky and hit them after they've picked it up, making it go off after I knock them into the air.

Dragmire

Smash Lord
DLX canceling and mortar sliding are two different things. he already mentioned how to do the mortar slide but to do the DLX cancel you physically hit them then Usmash with Z UP, A UP, or Cstick UP usually linking into a combo

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I think there are a lot of generalities in this post.

Like how you say we should balance mortar sliding with distancing with nades, I don't think that's always a good idea. What about balancing mortar slides, distancing yourself properly, explosives, and tilt spamming?

I don't think this move is overrated at all. I think it's very hard to use poorly, actually. Unless you're literally ONLY doing this move, and you're reasonably fast with pulling it off (I mean, not running for 2-3 seconds before using it, so they will consistently predict it) then it's very difficult to punish.

As for how I use the mortar slide, it's not a lot of variation.

I use it to reach the edge quickly if my opponent is off of it. I use it to close distance between my opponent and myself. I use it when I am out of tilt range, but I am still close enough to quickly pull off a dash attack in which I don't think they will be able to react quickly enough to block. I also sometimes throw nades (No cooking) and if they go to pick it up, I will mortar slide them right when they are about to pick it up. Hell, sometimes I get lucky and hit them after they've picked it up, making it go off after I knock them into the air.
What I mean by balance is to know what move to do at what time. Sometimes, it is better to throw nades, distance yourself, tilt and plan. I agree, it is hard to actually misuse the mortar slide, but its not hard to forget about your other options. Even though you can do a effective move, doesn't mean you always should, its important to mix it up once in awhile. And it can be badly punished sometimes, a good snake player won't fall for stupid tricks, but still, its never good to mortar slide into a strong, forward smash or something like that. I'm just afraid that some Snake players will overuse this move and forget the big importance of spacing, distance, and predicting with Snake.

Top Bottom