• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the flame choke to trump the ledge

HandsomeDuval

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems like it could be useful. I'm sure we've all SD'd using the flame choke off the ledge at some point. But if you hold back right after going into the free fall animation Ganon will snap the ledge. This can be used trump your opponents ledge grab, and can be used extremely close to the ledge without the risk of an SD. It doesn't snap to the ledge as snug as walking off would, but I find it to be an easier alternative to pull off on the 3ds given that it's a bit wonky for pivoting.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Way too telegraphed. Will never work against an opponent that isn't asleep.

What's much better is Wizkick ledge trump, because this can bait/scare your opponent into buffering a getup, and you can jump onstage instead to punish their getup. If they for instance ledgeroll, and you choose not to grab the ledge, you have enough time to land a Smash. Meanwhile you can cover their ledge jump or ledgestand/attack with aerials if you space right.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It's come to my attention that there are very few instances in which it is useful and the fact you can't do anything but grab the ledge vs the benefit of WizKick bothers me.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I don't see why regular ledge trump wouldn't outclass Flame Choke trump in every way, since there is no situation in which Flame Choke can be done while regular can't, and regular isn't telegraphed and you have the freedom to mix things up and punish buffered getup attacks/rolls if you see them overcommitting to them. Wizkick trump does work in situations regular trump doesn't and doesn't take away your options, so use that when applicable.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems like it could be useful. I'm sure we've all SD'd using the flame choke off the ledge at some point. But if you hold back right after going into the free fall animation Ganon will snap the ledge. This can be used trump your opponents ledge grab, and can be used extremely close to the ledge without the risk of an SD. It doesn't snap to the ledge as snug as walking off would, but I find it to be an easier alternative to pull off on the 3ds given that it's a bit wonky for pivoting.
Tried it. Long story short, it caused me to SD more often than it caused me to actually trump the ledge. Really bad idea on stages with uneven ledges like Lylat, too.

Besides, I found out that once you get the practice in, trumping the ledge with a fastfall is much easier.

Top Bottom