• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the C-Stick for aerials. . .

mazt1234

Smash Rookie
So when playing puff I tend to use a mix of C-Stick and A button for aerials, However recently its starting to feel like when using the C-Stick I cannot put out aerials as fast as I need to which then leads to dropped combos. My main issue is the C-Stick is the my most comfortable option and I seem to default to it more often then not. I was wondering in all the infinite wisdom of the SmashBoard's community if I should work on trying a different control methods for aerials, or if there is some way to better use the C-Stick for aerials.

Edit: This is Melee Btw

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Make sure it's set to Attack and not Smash. If it's on Smash you'll lose your aerial momentum (for some reason).

Ostrichsauce

Smash Rookie
So when playing puff I tend to use a mix of C-Stick and A button for aerials, However recently its starting to feel like when using the C-Stick I cannot put out aerials as fast as I need to which then leads to dropped combos. My main issue is the C-Stick is the my most comfortable option and I seem to default to it more often then not. I was wondering in all the infinite wisdom of the SmashBoard's community if I should work on trying a different control methods for aerials, or if there is some way to better use the C-Stick for aerials.

Edit: This is Melee Btw
use A or Z for aerials, it's way faster. It feels awkward making the switch, but you'll notice a huge improvement once your use to it.

Sarej

Smash Cadet
I only use A if I have to get something out fast but overall I feel more comfortable spacing with c stick, it's all preference. I tend to switch my control scheme up depending on the situation.

flique

Smash Rookie
If you're in the situation that you need to camp, I'd suggest using the A button to throw out a series of Back Airs.

If you're in the situation you need to space out forward air, use the c stick.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
use A or Z for aerials, it's way faster. It feels awkward making the switch, but you'll notice a huge improvement once your use to it.
If you use a/z you lose potential aerial control, which is often more important than speed. For example, you can't do fully retreating bair without losing distance if you don't use c-stick. Also it's super hard to dj forward and then immediately bair without c-stick.

I use both methods depending on situation. The optimal way is to claw so you can always do fast aerials with c-stick without ever sacrificing either speed or control.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
You should definitely try to claw. I've been playing for long enough that I don't have the willpower to switch my grip and relearn the game, but if you've only been playing for a week (as your join date implies), you should switch ASAP.

I tap jump + C-stick for retreating bairs and edge guarding, but for all other situations I'll use Y jump + A.

Top Bottom