• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the bomb as an edgeguard?

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Something I discovered completely by accident, but I'm wondering what the possibilities can be.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=th_BjYU5KZ0

Explanation of video: I pull out a bomb, then grab the ledge, and Peach comes towards me and jumps off the stage to try and edgeguard. I grab the ledge and during my ledge invincibility, the bomb explodes and Peach gets stagespiked. Hilarity ensues.

Now, what I'm wondering is, can we use this as an edgeguard technique, or was I just lucky and it's too hard to set up/too easy to get around? Zair edgehog is probably easier, but this would also stop them from trying to get past you and get on the stage as well.

Disclaimer: I don't main Link, I just mess around with him from time to time.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be majorly hard to time and setup. But it is another edgeguard technique. It might also be a "don't edge guard me or else type" of tech.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be majorly hard to time and setup. But it is another edgeguard technique. It might also be a "don't edge guard me or else type" of tech.
Yeah, I really don't think it would be the easiest thing to set up. Maybe if it were combined with the Zair edgegrab (right before it explodes, regrab the ledge), but other than that, it looks really hard to do.

Also, I was trying to look at the video a little more closely (just watching the video frame by frame, I'm too lazy to watch the real replay), and it looks like Peach was to the left of the bomb when it exploded. Meaning, there's a good chance that if the opponent is to the right of the bomb, they won't hit the stage and just fly upwards, destroying the purposes of the edgeguard. So, I'm going to (for now) dismiss it as a lucky KO, but if someone wants to prove me otherwise, be my guest.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I must agree with the majority in that it's highly situational and too much effort. But, this is a fine example of why Link should always have a bomb in hand.

Top Bottom