• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using that amazing Neutral Special

PlinyTheElder

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys. I was wondering if y'all had any tips for using the neutral special, but more specifically when the KO meter is full. I rarely ever use the regular neutral special so I was wondering how others use it. When the KO meter is full, I usually find myself losing it before I can get a good chance to use it. I was wondering how you guys set up a KO punch.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
The most basic guaranteed set-up is dtilt into KO punch. This will work on anyone pretty much at low percent, which is usually around/at their lowest possible KO percent. Lighter characters like Jigglypuff you will have trouble landing this on past 20% or so.

An other less easy method is to perfect shield a move (and they're close enough obv), which lets you act immediately afterwards.
You can bait a shield also, catch roll abuse if you know where they're going, or my personal favorite, predict where they're going on ledge get-up. From the ledge, they have 4 options:
-get up normally. full invincibility frames until they, usually, shield. and of course, KO beats shield.
-roll. if you are paying attention, you will know if they are inclined to roll onto the stage in which case you just face towards where they'll roll and KO them.
-get-up attack. Shield (perfectly in an ideal world) and KO.
-jump. this is what you don't want and is probably the safest for them. if they air dodge though, abuse their landing lag and KO.

and also waiting for laggy moves on their end and punishing with KO punch.

Also in general you having KO punch makes the person play very differently. They will try to run away and knock you away to hopefully make you lose your punch. Be aware that this is going to be their strategy. Some common ways to do this to a Mac are dash attacks, throws, and projectiles. adjust as necessary.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Honestly when that bell rings I just think of it as "FEAR MODE ACTIVATED" and abuse the fact that their going to be freaking out over an OHKO move and I rush in and pelt with little safe things. Both parties are aware we're fishing for the punch. Same deal when Peach pulls a stitchface or bomb. Be 100% ready to throw it when you see a clear opportunity, like in the situations @ ndayday ndayday mentioned above, but otherwise... be cool about it, lol. Unfortunately, unlike with Peach's death items, there's MAJOR lag if you miss. So I would not abuse it at higher percents - especially considering how dangerous being offstage is.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
The most basic guaranteed set-up is dtilt into KO punch. This will work on anyone pretty much at low percent, which is usually around/at their lowest possible KO percent. Lighter characters like Jigglypuff you will have trouble landing this on past 20% or so.

An other less easy method is to perfect shield a move (and they're close enough obv), which lets you act immediately afterwards.
You can bait a shield also, catch roll abuse if you know where they're going, or my personal favorite, predict where they're going on ledge get-up. From the ledge, they have 4 options:
-get up normally. full invincibility frames until they, usually, shield. and of course, KO beats shield.
-roll. if you are paying attention, you will know if they are inclined to roll onto the stage in which case you just face towards where they'll roll and KO them.
-jump. this is what you don't want and is probably the safest for them. if they air dodge though, abuse their landing lag and KO.
you forgot dropping down from the ledge and attacking with an aerial or up special

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
also remember it can't be taken from you the first 6 seconds

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I was terrified that you were talking about the non-KO-punch neutral special, at first.

Any time someone's moving predictably, though, there's a nice chance to use it-- only started Mac today, but I was pretty pleased with myself when I managed to hit a Falco in the middle of his side B... even if it was most certainly a lucky punch. ^^

Though, now I'm actually a bit curious as to what the non-KO-punch neutral B might be used for, though nothing really comes to mind outside of... punishing a shield break? Is breaking shields even viable without a Shield Breaker, Ground Slam, Pound, or Bowser Bomb?

Ganreizu

Smash Ace

Also in general you having KO punch makes the person play very differently. They will try to run away and knock you away to hopefully make you lose your punch. Be aware that this is going to be their strategy. Some common ways to do this to a Mac are dash attacks, throws, and projectiles. adjust as necessary.
Is perfect shielding really even necessary? Shield drops so fast in this game and i think you can do any B move oos anyway so normal shielding a laggy move should be all you need.

1FC0

Smash Lord
You can also jump and immediately use the KO Punch to use a grounded KO Punch out of a dash I think .

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
The proper placement for the K.O. punch is into the wind far away from the opponent as a taunt+1

the lesser neutral B state can be used to bait things sometimes, like at the edge to see how they react on return. but generally it's very risky and puts you in a vulnerable state like the many other super punches (Falcon b,Ganon b,Wario's smash?etc.)

Best of luck in your testing though, Nday covered many solid answers.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
The proper placement for the K.O. punch is into the wind far away from the opponent as a taunt+1

the lesser neutral B state can be used to bait things sometimes, like at the edge to see how they react on return. but generally it's very risky and puts you in a vulnerable state like the many other super punches (Falcon b,Ganon b,Wario's smash?etc.)

Best of luck in your testing though, Nday covered many solid answers.
...I so have to do this next time I run across a Mac vs. Mac where they taunt. That's just too hilarious an idea.

Heropon Riki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
atlantis24
3DS FC
4725-8178-7452
I was terrified that you were talking about the non-KO-punch neutral special, at first.

Any time someone's moving predictably, though, there's a nice chance to use it-- only started Mac today, but I was pretty pleased with myself when I managed to hit a Falco in the middle of his side B... even if it was most certainly a lucky punch. ^^

Though, now I'm actually a bit curious as to what the non-KO-punch neutral B might be used for, though nothing really comes to mind outside of... punishing a shield break? Is breaking shields even viable without a Shield Breaker, Ground Slam, Pound, or Bowser Bomb?
I've made use of the super armor Little Mac has with the neutral b. Its situational, but has potential.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl

you forgot a 5th option: drop down and rise with an aerial; if they outrange mac especially with disjoints this can be a problem.

Top Bottom