• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Shield to Tech Chase

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
I discovered a nifty trick earlier today that I want to share.

After I dashed into shield, I was still holding forward then SH'd OoS to bair and noticed that my momentum stuck (due to the fact that you slide a short distance when dashing into shield).

Now you may be thinking, "yeah, so what?" but after playing around with this for a few minutes it occurred to me that I can use shield to very slightly stall aerial approaches. This is particularly useful when tech chasing your opponent.

Ex: I'm playing as Doc, and I F-throw falco. He misses the tech but waits for my approach to decide how to get up. I dash towards falco, and as I do he begins his get-up atk. Instead of WDing back or turning around, all I do is shield then SH nair, and if the distance was properly calculated, I would come into range after falco's get-up atk finishes and get the hit because of the time it took to shield

Its the same as the spacies shine stalling in air, except on the ground.

This has many more uses than just tech chasing, but that seems to be what its best for. Play around with it and see if you think its a good or bad technique.

Tell me what you think.

p.s. I post an example video at some point if necessary.

SAUS

Smash Ace
It's similar to how if you shield and then grab while running, you still get the dashing grab.

I think, most of the time, you can dash back (quickly dash dance in place to take up time) to delay the timing of your attack. Maybe from running this will be easier than doing the slow run (diagonal down + forward on the stick), but you could probably just run cancel (hold down) and then move in after.

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
I've noticed, though, that when shielding to stall, you're most likely to prevent a read-based counter. Basically, its much more safe than a dash dance, especially because people don't expect an attack immediately after a shield. On top of that, people are more likely to continue an approach when they see you shield, baiting them into attacks effortlessly.

Also, it is like a shield stop, but the key is jumping out before losing all momentum.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Not just reading what an opponent will do, but covering that option as well. Forcing a tech, realizing their options, and covering either the most likely option given the circumstances, or covering multiple likely options at once.

Top Bottom