• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Rosalina For Glory

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For Glory is a very different beast from standard competitive play for a variety of reasons. It stands to reason that otherwise good Rosalina tactics will falter in such a different environment. So let's talk a bit about how to effectively use Rosalina For Glory.

To get us started, here are a few of my own observations:

• It's a tossup if your opponent knows you can airdodge out of dthrow > fair. Still a bad habit to get into since experienced players can airdodge it every time, but you can get away with it.
  • Not many people respect Luma Shot until it sends them flying at least once. Be careful against anyone with a reflector, but otherwise it can make for a good long range landing trap.
  • Using Launch Star horizontally to land on the stage is risky but workable against slow characters or anyone who preemptively jumped offstage for an edgeguard.
  • If someone prefers to just work around Luma instead of attacking it directly, odds are they'll jump over it.

People are dumb and will usually let you get two UAirs off from an UThrow. I rarely land FAir after DThrow though, most players airdodge it. FFFAir so the autolink drags them down has set up grabs and tilts for me. I don't even know why, it's definitely not guaranteed but there you go.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't have much to say about For Glory, but what I do know is that if online lag gets in the way, you'll have it quite rough trying to use Rosalina and her Luma properly.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
  • Airdodge is the response after dthrow 99% of the time, I generally don't try to combo fair but prefer to punish the predictable airdodge with bair/dair/usmash/whatever
  • A lot of people don't seem to know that Luma is invincible during full charge Luma Shot and will try to get close and hit Luma before it launches. It's a funny way to close out stocks, especially if they've been hitting Luma out of the uncharged shot earlier in the set.
  • Being able to control Luma while shieldbroken, asleep, or in helpless is a secret to everyone, and probably makes me play riskier with my shield or go for onstage recoveries more than I should.
  • Luma's jab catches a lot of opponents by surprise; they usually expect more end lag after jab3, and will assume you won't extend the rapid jab past its minimum time. Luma spaced over the ledge (jab1>jab2>jab1>jab2>rapidjab) also destroys players that don't have a good understanding of their ledge options, and is a fun method for testing your opponents.
  • Utilt/uair beat all divekicks, except for Sonic's (and Toon Link's? I forget). It's For Glory, you're going to see these.
FFFAir so the autolink drags them down has set up grabs and tilts for me. I don't even know why, it's definitely not guaranteed but there you go.
ff fair>usmash actually does combo at kill percent if they don't tech. I never looked into lower percent uses for it though.

Oh yeah, Rosalina's UTilt and UAir beats a LOT of stuff. It's entertaining knocking yoshis and bowsers out of their bombs. It's saddening that they don't learn. Didn't know it doesn't beat Sonic's though!

Luma can act while Rosalina is
-in shield daze
-buried
-asleep
-egged
-in helpless
-inhaled
-chomped

and all of those are really nifty in for glorious. The other day I won match with Luma's BAir after Launch Starring onstage because they ran up hoping they were gonna get in a free smash. I almost felt bad. ALMOST

Also star bits stuff overeager Little Macs and Falcons, while jab beats Sonic's spindash

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Didn't know it doesn't beat Sonic's though!
It's the most irritating thing. I don't even know why it doesn't, the frame data says his dair should cancel after clanking, but it keeps going afterward anyway.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I just realized I have a lot of patterns in how I play competitively based on my experiences on For Glory.
I should probably stop playing For Glory.

It's the most irritating thing. I don't even know why it doesn't, the frame data says his dair should cancel after clanking, but it keeps going afterward anyway.
Just saw this. That probably isn't right (at least I hope so, I can't see why it would be), I'm guessing it's clanking with Luma's uair, not Rosalina's uair. Luma has some unique properties to it's priority.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
People are dumb and will usually let you get two UAirs off from an UThrow. I rarely land FAir after DThrow though, most players airdodge it. FFFAir so the autolink drags them down has set up grabs and tilts for me. I don't even know why, it's definitely not guaranteed but there you go.
For that matter, I got a FSmash out of a landed Fair. Also:
  • some people tend to spam airdodges if they are above you, making the UThrow a set-up for Luma's shoryuken kill at any percentage
  • Most people forget what star bits are and get hit by them at least twice consecutively
  • If you send Luma out, they are probably going to either jump over him or to spam rolls until they go to your back
  • More in general, people in For Glory never learn from their errors, you can FSmash them out of 10 Stall-then-Falls, you can charge an USmash everytime they spam air-dodges, you can punish rolls all the day or you can Gravitational Pull the world and half, the smartest thing you will have is them leaving the game.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Gravitational Pull -> N-Air whenever people rush in after throwing out a projectile.

Yesterday I was able to get the vertically-launching hitbox of FAir to setup UAir KOs twice. Idk if my partner just wasn't reacting quickly enough or what but there's that. At higher percents you can definitely read the airdodge though and UAir later to punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom