• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using R instead of A for aerials

Quote720

Smash Cadet
I know that R is mapped to A+Z. I saw that some people use R for aerials, and I was just wondering whether this affects Z canceling. If you perform an aerial with R right before hitting the ground and try to Z cancel, could it register accidentally as never having let go of Z?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Yes it could register as still holding Z but I don't see why you would continue holding R. You can also Z cancel with R after using R as an aerial just as long as you tap it again when you land.

So as long as you let go of R, no input of Z will remain.

Quote720

Smash Cadet
I don't mean still holding R, but I guess if I hit Z before letting go of R. Would that register as not letting go?

Regarding R as Z cancel, is there any disadvantage?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I don't mean still holding R, but I guess if I hit Z before letting go of R. Would that register as not letting go?
Correct. If you hit Z while still holding R, nothing will happen. The Z input doesn't count as a new input.
Well, it causes you to have to press the same button twice so it could be annoying to perform. Also, if the attack animation expires before you land, you could accidentally attack with R and land without a Z cancel.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I always do aerials with R and Z-cancel with Z. I've never run into problems about the game not registering things correctly. This includes doing fast fall neutral airs with Falcon off the LOW platforms on DL. I feel like that's probably about the smallest window you'll face so the fact that those are okay indicates to me that aerials with R is okay too.

I know some people who Z-cancel with R (and upsmash with R as well) and even aerial with R. I guess this could be nice if you can quickly double tap the button but that seems like a lot of work to me.

I think the bottom line is that you should do whatever you're comfortable with. That being said, I think there's a strong argument for using R for aerials because you now only have to move your right thumb for the B button. The downside being that if you jump and try to immediately do an aerial, you might grab by accident. This can be a real issue if you play link/samus/yoshi. If you had made the same mistake but used A for aerials, you would have just grabbed which is far less punishable.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

yes if u hit z before letting go it will not register as a z cancel. for this reason you should either get in the habit of quickly tapping r for aerials or using the A button for aerials near the ground. This used to be a problem for me (z cancels wouldnt register because i held r too long) so i learned to use the A button when doing an aerial near the ground. i still use the r button for rising aerials because it is much faster than pressing the A button for me.

Hentenaar

Smash Cadet
Is it true that using A for aerials comes out faster than using r?
Depends on where your thumb is.
For example, this is the way I hold my controller. It allows me to access the a button, c buttons, and r all with the same finger

http://i.imgur.com/bnPEOnq.jpg

Since nerve impulses only travel around 250mph (at their fastest), it makes sense to utilize body parts that are closer to the brain, cutting down on the delay from brain to muscle. (However, I've been experimenting with holding the controller right in front of my face, decreasing the distance from my brain to hands, thus shortening the path for nerve impulses to travel, leading to decreased delay). In this case, my aerial attacks would come out faster with A than R, because I'm pressing it with the bottom of my thumb and not the tip.

Edit: picture won't imbed, so I linked it instead

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Depends on where your thumb is.
For example, this is the way I hold my controller. It allows me to access the a button, c buttons, and r all with the same finger

http://i.imgur.com/bnPEOnq.jpg

Since nerve impulses only travel around 250mph (at their fastest), it makes sense to utilize body parts that are closer to the brain, cutting down on the delay from brain to muscle. (However, I've been experimenting with holding the controller right in front of my face, decreasing the distance from my brain to hands, thus shortening the path for nerve impulses to travel, leading to decreased delay). In this case, my aerial attacks would come out faster with A than R, because I'm pressing it with the bottom of my thumb and not the tip.

Edit: picture won't imbed, so I linked it instead
haha that's hilarious. I think the difference in impulse time between the base of your thumb and your index finger should be negligible. better to just hold the controller in a way that feels comfortable so you can play at your best. as far as holding it closer to your face... pretty sure that's just a troll yes? anyways i think he is referring to the in game mechanics of which is faster, in which case they come out at the exact same speed whether you use r or a

Annex

Smash Ace
I think the whole post was a troll
That hand position is x-treme
Also: R is just a macro of Z+A in SSB
R is probably faster than moving your thumb from a C to A for quick shorthop aerials, and that's the only time I use it (and I gotta conserve nerve impulses mang that fingertip is 5long)

Top Bottom