• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Pro Controller vs Game Cube

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
The main thing I have notices since playing some games with LarryLurr at LevelUpExpo is that my Up-Air follow ups were off and how broken upair was. Seeing this made me realize I was losing momentum from performing my short-hop upairs using the control stick and Y+A or accidentally JC UpSmash then get punished for it. I tried to use the claw method where I would use my index finger to jump and thumb to upair, but could not get used to it. Also tried R or Z as jump but felt reallyawkward.

Fast forward to last night: I decided to give Bidou a shot but couldn't stand see much benefit for my Fox since I can already PP and still had same issue with my upair follow ups. Then I decided to give the Pro Controller a shot and set R to jump. I was amazed at how far I could follow up with my upairs and how easy it was to do and felt more natural in my hands, and only getting an uptilt on accident rarely (less punishable than smash atk). Messed around the entire night with friends and was keeping up and was able to upair after upair when normally I would fall short or mess up the input.

Main thing I wanted to know was if anyone else had similar experience or other reasons why I should continue to use the GC controller. I did notice that teching is a bit different as my timing is off using the shoulder button on the Pro Controller.

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Always use the game cube controller over pro controller. It is setup better. Also Why not change jump to :GCLT:. My friend does this as a Kirby main. I changed Special to :GCLT:, which kinda sucks , but I thought it may help a yoshi main. I would try switching jump to :GCLT:

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
Is double sticking sswitching C-stick to jab, so you can bffer ariels
Double sticking is setting tap jump on and c stick to tilts, and hitting both sticks at the same time to do a short hop aerial. That way, as you said, you can buffer air attacks easily. You can also buffer aerials in a short hop with tap jump off, but the timing is a little more strict.

Last edited:

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Double sticking is setting tap jump on and c stick to tilts, and hitting both sticks at the same time to do a short hop aerial. That way, as you said, you can buffer air attacks easily. You can also buffer aerials in a short hop with tap jump off, but the timing is a little more strict.
How do you jump and hit both sticks at the same time? Do you have to claw?

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Could you have L set to jump instead?
That's what I use, L to Jump with Tap Jump off. It takes some time to get used to though, and technically it's not optimal since the input for short hopping via L or R can be inconsistent compared to an Analog button like Z, X, or Y. You also lose out on Special set to L, which is an easy way to access C-bouncing. (It's also an optimal setup for Sheik, since it gives access to her most advanced techniques)

But it's quite simple to perform auto-cancelled Uairs with a trigger button set to Jump and can really help your game. As a Robin main (Fox secondary) double-sticking is essential for his/her aerials and Checkmate. (D-throw Uair kill confirm)

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
It took a while to get used to, as sometimes I would accidentally hit jump when I didn't want to, however those moments don't happen anymore.

Made me more strict with control of the D stick, and now tap jump off just feels wrong!

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Regarding Tap Jump on or Off.

Does anyone know how to reliably avoid using your 2nd Jump when performing an Up B in the air?

I've asked this in the Q&A forum but unfortunately no replies :(

Since I'm on the Fox Boards and talking to other Fox players I'm hoping maybe someone can shine some light on this?

Losing my 2nd Jump is the one biggest issue I have with Tap Jump on. I can't save my 2nd Jump when I want to perform an Up B in the air.

It is the one thing that holds me back from using Tap Jump On.

I love the benefits of Tap Jump on when Double Sticking but the Activation point on the Analog stick to perform an Up B is way too close to the point where Jump gets activated.

I don't understand why they couldn't just set it to the same point where Up Tilt is activated instead of putting it in between Up Tilt and Jump.

Currently I have the L Trigger as Jump to perform double sticking but the damn Analog triggers are so mushy its annoying inconsistent.

I've used both the GC controller and the Wii U Pro controller switching back and forth a number of times when I was learning Smash. Both controllers have their pros and cons.

To keep it short I ultimately chose the GC controller only because it is wired. I've experienced interference with the Wii U Pro controller a few times at local get together. Not sure what the cause was but I knew for sure it had to be the wireless. If the Wii U Pro did not have this issue I would have stuck to using it over the GC controller

Top Bottom