• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using PK Thunder on opponents off stage.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I'm a little curious as to how valid this tactic is, above jumping off the stage yourself and using Ness' aerial moves, which are good by themselves already. The way I see it, PK Thunder is safer and can even build up a good amount of hit stun for you to follow through and finish them off, but I don't know if it's more viable than something like PK Flash, Bair or Uair. It can even leave you open pretty badly if you end up missing and they get back on the stage. I want to know what you all think.

Last edited:

RicoStealth

Smash Rookie
I am not a pro or anything, but I find myself using it when I know they can back on stage and I want to land some damage and the knockback would send them towards the stage so I can try to follow up with some aerials. When I have higher percentage I use it less because it does leave you vulnerable. I have used his Pk flash only when they are recovering to the edge of the stage because sometimes you can catch them.when you do this make sure you have enough space in between you and the person if they recover you want enough time to be able to react after using that move. I think PKT is more viable than PKFlash because you can set up with it to do any airs. I would suggest leaving PKFlash as like a surprise move/like for edge kills.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I actually must say that I agree with you on that. PK Thunder is good for racking up some extra damage if they're likely going to make it back anyways, but PK Flash can be good if you reach for the kill, best to have it near the ledge too since it's most likely the point they're trying to reach.

BakaFlocka

Smash Rookie
NNID
BakaFlocka
When using PK Thunder, I find that it is a good tactic to use when you know your opponent is going to make it back, like previously stated.

I find that with PK Thunder, however, you should definitely use it more than just for off stage horizontally. When the opponent is above the stage or directly above your Ness, PK Thunder can sometimes be a risky, yet viable option. If the opponent catches on to my PK Thunder attacks, sometimes I like to send it straight back down on to Ness right when they try to fast fall and punish me. If you time it right, you can hit your opponent with your Ness from the "tackle" of the PK Thunder.

It's risky, but it has worked for me many times.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Same for me, actually! I've been able to hit people with PK Thunder 2 much more often now that I'm actually starting to use it, which is great because the kill potential on that move is ridiculous. I've even managed to hit someone with PK Thunder when they're in the upwards blast zone and finish them off. It isn't reliable, but its happened a few times. I actually never thought PK Thunder would be this helpful!

RicoStealth

Smash Rookie
When using PK Thunder, I find that it is a good tactic to use when you know your opponent is going to make it back, like previously stated.

I find that with PK Thunder, however, you should definitely use it more than just for off stage horizontally. When the opponent is above the stage or directly above your Ness, PK Thunder can sometimes be a risky, yet viable option. If the opponent catches on to my PK Thunder attacks, sometimes I like to send it straight back down on to Ness right when they try to fast fall and punish me. If you time it right, you can hit your opponent with your Ness from the "tackle" of the PK Thunder.

It's risky, but it has worked for me many times.
I must say I use this tactic too, and it definitely has its rewards.

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
I tend to use it when people are trying to get back I just move it around a lot when they try and recover. I stand away from the edge so I don't get hit by a get up attack or a f air anything like that. Just mix it up with other moves and you'll be fine :D

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
I like to use it as a mind game, leading up to a pkt2 later on in the match. When you use a lot of pk thunders, your opponent gets annoyed of them, and they'll start to do funky things avoiding that thunder. Like air dodging poorly and getting nailed with a pkt2! But yeah, by using pk thunder off stage frequently, your opponent will start hating that pk thunder!

I know it's been mentioned before, but it's a great move to use because they get a little stunned after the hit. If they DI towards you (to get back on stage), sometimes they will end up a bit above you stunned. It's practically a free nair/bair/fair.

I mean, it's free damage without risking your body. win/win situation. Perfect when they are almost in bthrow %, but not quite yet.

But yeah, personally, I prefer to edge guard using aerials or pk fire, but its always good to mix it up and pk thunder is a legit option.

Top Bottom