• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Mewtwo's Side Special Effectively

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo, when you first played him in melee, he sucked. But lets be honest, you still played him because he was that cool. in super smash bros Wii U and 3DS, he has a major buffs! One of his worst moves in melee are one of his greatest now! confusion (side special) is one of his most useful attacks, you can use it to get a little extra air, or just to avoid an enemy in mid-air, or you can reflect annoying projectile characters like Ness, Falco, Lucario, or even Mewtwo him self. Here are great tips for using confusion effectively!

Using confusion is fast and easy, but using it right is what really makes Mewtwo a threat in one on one battles.

When you're a very close distance from the stage while trying to recover, try using confusion instead of recover, if you do it at the right time, you just saved a few second by not having to grab on the ledge or use Mewtwo's recovery that often has very bad landing lag.

A very good combo to use is to use confusion on your enemy, then right as you confuse them, use your down smash while facing them, it will do quite some knock-back and damage, there you can dash at them or create distance to charge your shadow ball.

when playing against a character who is likely to use projectiles, always use your confusion when they come close enough to get in reach of their max projectile distance, If you do this you may find them using their projectile, depending on the projectile, it may do much knock-back and tons of damage.

when your opponent is a Mewtwo, you usually start off with both Mewtwo's charging their shadow ball, charge yours, but try and bait the other Mewtwo to throw his, keep your distance though, you need enough time to reflect the ball back at him, it will be nearly a one hit K.O. if he is over 50%.

Sometimes, very rarely a Mewtwo will try to disable you, you can counter this but quickly using confusion, if it worked, he will be disabled, depending on the percents you can do the following attacks:

0% - Grab and immediately throw him, as he will break away from you the second you grab him.

10% - Grab him and hit him once or twice, then throw him.

30% - If he is near the edge of the stage, use your side smash immediately, if he is anywhere else, use your
down smash while facing him.

50% - if he is near the edge of the stage, use your side smash after charging for for half a second, if he is anywhere else use your down smash while facing him.

70% - if he is near the end of the stage, get behind him and grab him, hit him 3 times and throw him back-wards. if he was close enough to the end of the stage, it should kill him.

100%+ - if he is near the end of the stage, get behind him and grab him, throw him backward immediately, if he is anywhere else, use your down smash while facing him or if grab him and throw him up after hitting him 5 times.

I will update this form as i continue my research online.

Last edited:

Papi Henstro

Smash Rookie
Awesome..FOW was also using his side b to capture opponents after a jab as part of a combo. I think it was down tilt, jab, side b, jab, and finish with Fair. Don't quote me as I don't remember that was exactly that but it was something to that degree. It was pretty cool to see. Haven't tested it myself yet

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Just so you know, Side B does not combo into anything and they are left free to do anything as soon as you are. It is a 50/50 mix up, you can go for a move or just block and try to shield grab and punish their counter.

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
Just so you know, Side B does not combo into anything and they are left free to do anything as soon as you are. It is a 50/50 mix up, you can go for a move or just block and try to shield grab and punish their counter.
You have a valid point, But usually slower characters don't have enough time to escape, so it's pretty easy to hit them, while very light characters can some times jump out before they hit the ground, but I have never been attacked after I confused them and didn't land my Down smash.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
You have a valid point, But usually slower characters don't have enough time to escape, so it's pretty easy to hit them, while very light characters can some times jump out before they hit the ground, but I have never been attacked after I confused them and didn't land my Down smash.
Just because you haven't been attacked yet, doesn't mean it isn't possible. Pretty much everyone can punish you (with a FAir) or just double jump away. It is not a reliable combo option when playing experienced players and a bad habit to build. It definitely has its uses and follow ups, but comboing isn't one of them.

Top Bottom