• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using every AT in battle

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Do any of you do this? I try to incorporate all of the AT's in one battle, but I get occupied with them and forget about the enemy. If you do do this, how? And if you don't, which AT's do you do?

Legan

Smash Lord
Zair(ALOT),
zair-bomb (ALOT)

jab cancel(ALOT)

hand-bomb-smash(occasionaly)

DAC (few times per match)

Jab Lock, learn this (whenever opportunity arises)

zair ledge hop(ALOT)

arrow cancel(ALOT)

The key is learning the situations that these techniques are applicable. Your going to have to learn for yourself when to apply them yourself or watch videos of other links and how they use them.

D

Deleted member

i'm attempting to add all of the AT's into my link game but i only use the ones that arent spam related. if you want to see the master of Link AT look at legan @_@

he's too good

Smash-Master9009

Smash Journeyman
so legan, do you think you can explain how to do some of those? such as jab cancel....hand bomb smash....DAC.....and arrow cancel

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Hey smash master you should watch The Art of Link. It's stickied on these forums. It explains Arrow cancelling and DAC and more. Although im not sure if it explains Forward C-Smashing Bombing or Jab Canceling but it does explain alot.

Legan

Smash Lord
Heres a video teaching alot of the advanced techniques. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShc

These are old matches of me. I have a completely different play style now but I show alot of the techniques i use. It doesnt show me jab locking, zair ledgehopping or some other tricks ive picked up but this should be enough for now.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fYTIpVjpmxg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TXmTxVK1ptg&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_W8qODjX2E&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=joOagw4XTjk&feature=related

Legan

Smash Lord
It seems I fight like a normal Link. I thought I was behind the curve because I don't do certain things well like Z-Drop-Aerial.
Z-drop aerial is completely situational and is more practical for mindgames. Theres basic AT that are essential for you to learn to go anywhere with link. Once you get those down, then you move on to harder ones like jab lock, z drop aerial, DAC, full jump double arrow,. The rate at which the metagame is advancing is going to force link mains to learn these techniques. IMO link is going to be one of the most technical characters in the roster in the next few months.

Deva

Smash Lord
The jab canceling in the art of Link is wrong. but the correct way to do it is to press down and away after starting a jab and you can cancel the ending animation of the jab into another jab, grab, or d-smash. Pretty much anything you want.

And Legan, I'd reccomend ledgehop airdodge to roll. It's the safest recovery because you're invincible the whole time. Everything else can be punished by good players.

D

Deleted member

i see no difference in the time with pressing down or down away, can u explain why down away is faster lol?

EDIT:

Ok i found the difference, if you do down away you can hold it and repeatedly press A and it auto jab cancels for you

if you hold down you do a down tilt

this is actually very usefull

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
good links are really ... well good lol. use the dash canceled upsmash and its pretty beast surprise

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
The jab cancel and arrow cancel are really good for building damage

The jab cancel and zair can also be used to set up finishers

I think the DAC is useful only to finish up a good combo and approach sometimes,

The bomb smash is good for mind games and that's pretty much it

im still learning the zair bomb and jab lock and that ledgehop stuff, so i dont know how to incorporate them yet
This stuff is another reason to love Link even more

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
arrow cancelling
help me with this one
that's when you time your arrows so landing cuts the animation short, right?

do you use it to advance, set up bomb throws, avoid getting reflectored? or is it just a cheap plink damage move?

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
OP, you are both doing something right and something wrong at the same time. It's common sense you can't use all ATs in every battle; all moves, techs, etc. are situational. Some are useful more times than others. Some ATs can only be used for 1 specific time only. These statements don't tell you when or what to use, but it should begin to guide your understanding of using ATs.

Here's what you are doing right: You are getting a lot better at executing the ATs. Some of Link's ATs are incredibly technical, and require serious finger practice and skill. The ATs are becoming second nature to you. Soon, with practice, you will know which are useful in which matchups.

For example, your execution of Zairs is probably really good now. And now you're slowly realizing that it's hard to pull off versus shorter characters, and easy to Zair->Bomb->Boost-smash a taller character like DK/DDD/Snake.

Now, instead of thinking about how to perform the ATs randomly, really analyze what is useful when. It has helped me advance my AT game significantly. I've given up doing too many ATs online now because I've learned it is less useful there, but in person, ATs are a lot harder to telegraph, easier to execute, and a lot more useful.

Best of luck.

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Thanks. You guys are right, they are completely situational. Like I personally only Z-air when they are on platforms. And, I only Z-Drop Aerial after I have Z-Dropped at least three times in the battle. I seriously thought I had to use all of the AT's because if Link wasn't technical at all times he would PHAIL!!!!!!! I'm getting better at executing them.

Also: I <3 Gale Guarding

onomatopoiea

Smash Rookie
I use the Zair against characters with larger hitboxes (like Bowser) but it's too much trouble hitting shorter ones like Olimar.

Quick Dash is essential.

DAC is fun to use on stages with platforms, like Battlefield. It's a sneaky approach... but hard to aim the glide, so I don't use it on platformless stages like FD.

Jab-cancel followed by a grab.

Top Bottom