• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Chess to solve games including Smash Melee

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
I know I haven't contributed much to the competitive side of Melee. I like to consider myself more of an advisor or administrator about this game. Despite all the games I play this quaint one found a place in my heart. I hope in some way this helps you improve at the game or at least read for fun.

Like Chess, fighting games test things in at least four categories-Position, material, time, and space. You want to gain an advantage by being ahead in any of them at any given time. The easiest way to describe it is to compare the characters to Chess pieces. I found it easy with my level of strategic understanding.

The fab four: Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth. Then the super six: Jigglypuff, C. Falcon, Samus, Peach, Pikachu, and Ice Climbers

That isn't a tier list but the top ten characters you want to master in Melee. Why not start at the top?

Fox: The good bishop. You can google the term or ask a Chess player about it. Essentially, Fox is a long range fighter unrestricted by it's own men. In Chess when pawns don't occupy the same squares as a bishop they work in tandem. Fox, considered the best character at this time, covers the most options. You have probably noticed he has no trouble getting in and out of situations.

Falco: The centralized knight. Falco has no problem jumping into action. He can leap over an enemy in doubles landing down on his opponent further away. He can cover everything though not as well as a bishop. It depends on how open the map is at the time. Falco is probably best on smaller stages.

Sheik: The bad bishop. While she has some range, her speed and needles impede her falling short of encounters unlike Fox. Her air game as well as her recovery prevent her from outshining Fox and in some cases Falco. She has slightly more working against her than Fox and Falco.

Marth: The decentralized knight. Lacking a projectile and more predictable movement keep him from being number one. His sword range and disjointed attacks are amazing though it feels like he loses the war of attrition. The other three simply outplay him slightly punishing him overall. When he's aggressive any imperfection is likely curtains for him.

-----

The super six I grant them the Rook status. You might wonder why do they lose more often to weaker pieces in Chess like the bishop and knight if they are stronger. All things being equal they are not stronger. It is possible in Chess for a bishop to capture a rook and vice versa. Towards the end of the game the rook does well since initially all the pawns restrict their movement.

The least valuable pieces of bishop and knight can jump around achieving more early on to set up eventual victory. A rook in Chess isn't overwhelming more powerful than a bishop or a knight. A knight versus a rook is a draw in some cases. Add a pawn with a bishop or the knight and even more of a draw. Surviving with a slower, yet stronger character in this category requires more perfection over one quick and easy.

-----

Gameplay:

When Jason Zimmerman, M2K, [fairs(forward air)] he is doing what a Chess player is doing with characters including his Marth. Fairing from the edge is developing with an attack. When you develop with an attack you put your opponent into check with a forced sequence of moves.

When he carries you with his sword it is known as a combination across the stage over an edge. Then your destruction occurs when he reverse dolphin slashes you as a finish. Unless you can avoid it at times.

Mango is tactical. He is going to spike you, gimp you, and do whatever it takes to win a piece or a stock. Mango is a KP player or an aggressor. He wants material. M2K is like a QP player wanting position leading into some kind of advantage.

Knowing your style of tactical or positional play determines what time you need for it and how much space. It depends on character picks, who, what, where, when, why, and the ability to play a gg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom