• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for FLUDD?

MT Williams

Smash Cadet
NNID
MTW829
3DS FC
2423-4493-5543
I've been using Mario in the demo and I'm getting damn good with him (that combo game tho), but I can't seem to find much use for fludd. Anyone have suggestions?

mega5657

Smash Rookie
Don't hold down after you press down b, the angle of fludd is controllable just in case you were unaware of it like me o_o

dbzeenx

Smash Cadet
There are multiple uses:

• When your opponent is around 50% in damage, use the down-b or up-b, then jump and use FLUDD, this will push your opponent out of the stage. Very important: Make sure to move the joystick to the opposite direction your opponent is while you're shooting the water. This will make you move slightly backwards and boost your FLUDD's pushing capabilities, pushing the opponents even further off the screen.
  • While somebody is trying to juggle you (constantly make you stay up in the air by hitting you) charge FLUDD while you're falling, then release it and try to aim at them. This will prevent them from spamming attacks.
  • When somebody just barely can grab the edge of the stage after using their up special, use FLUDD to prevent them from grabbing the edge and make them fall instead.
  • When somebody is just going to land on the stage after being pushed, use FLUDD and aim at them, but make sure that it's not fully charged. This will lag them without pushing them too much, so you have the opportunity to use forward smash. Also, if they manage to escape the stream of water by jumping over it or just avoiding it, use your up special to knock them back again.
  • In sudden deaths, use FLUDD and aim it directly at them while they're running towards you. This will obviously lag them, giving you the opportunity to do the kick Mario does when he runs and you use the attack button.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
This is probably going to get merged with the other FLUDD thread, but:

It doesn't need to do damage to be a threat.

Unless a lot changed from Brawl, FLUDD going to play a significant part when fighting:

Falcon: shooting him mid up B makes him shoot straight up, leading to an easy cape. Shooting him mid Side B basically cancels the move. With cape's nerfed range, I wouldn't be surprised if he can grab Mario from a cape attempt with up B. We'll have to wait and see on this, but, regardless, FLUDD destroys Falcon Dive and Raptor Boost.

Bowser: Up B OOS has always been a great tactic for Bowser. Bait it, land with FLUDD instead and shoot him into the air for a free punish, or off of the stage for a free gimp. Like most moves, shooting him in the middle of it to push him up and set up a free cape.

Bowser jr.: his up B will get destroyed, probably his side B too.

Charizard: it destroys his up B too, and with no gliding, he's even more limited.

Lucario: eh, we'll see. I don't remember FLUDD being that effective vs. him, but there weren't many Lucarios around me either.

Doc/Mario: Up B OOS is very risky around a charged FLUDD. If you whiff, you die.

Duck Hunt Dog: I think his up B is a Duck carrying him? You can FLUDD him to force him to miss the ledge sweetspot. Free cape and/or punish. If he tries to fly over and past you, FLUDD him off the stage. If he resists that, you still get a free punish.

Fox/Falco: Their up Bs get pushed a lot mid startup. I'm not positive on how side B will be affected, and it may be less useful since Fox and Falco don't go helpless from it, but this will also depend on the lag after the move.

Ganon: same as Falcon

Greninja: not sure, but probably similar to what happens to Pikachu when you shoot him mid quick attack.

Ike: lol. Ike has to base his recovery around FLUDD. It stops quickdraw and it can push Aether very easily.

Link: if you ever catch link without a double jump, he should die to FLUDD. If you FLUDD link while he doesn't have his jump, he has 3 options.

1: do nothing, and get caped because mario can move before him after using FLUDD.
2: Up B mid FLUDD, go Straight up, then proceed to get caped.
2.5: Up B right before Mario capes him, and die because his up B needs momentum to go any horizontal distance.
3: Airdodge through the water and die from being unable to make it back. FLUDD's water will also eat any projectiles he throws trying to cover himself.
4: Up B OOS and in general is risky for him with FLUDD around. If you shoot him, he goes helpless and most likely offstage.

Little Mac: his recovery is already terrible, but to add insult to injury, you can shoot him mid up B and expect him to go flying because his up B only goes straight up.

DeDeDe: FLUDDing super dedede jump makes it go mostly vertical, setting you up for an easy cape. If he tries to go over you, shoot him off the other side. If he tries to mix you up and retreats back towards the ledge, FLUDD him off.

Lucina and Marth: FLUDD them to stop their aerial momentum and go in for a cape. If they up B early to hit you, they won't have enough momentum to make it back. If they wait, they get caped. If they miss an up B OOS, they die.

MK: He misses an up B OOS, he dies. With no glide, FLUDD will probably wreck his new up B too. I've heard tornado has increased ending lag? Shoot him at the end and force him to go helpless, or just shoot him off the stage.

Luigi: FLUDD's water halts green missile, and if he goes for an up B and misses, he either dies or takes a free punish.

Ness: Shoot him so his PK Thunder misses.

Zelda/Sheik: If you FLUDD the startup of their up Bs, they will never sweetspot the ledge. If you FLUDD their landing with their up Bs, they get pushed up into the air in helpless. Death or punish either way.

Villager: Jump at him with your back towards him. If he tries to go really low with balloon trip, Dair and pop his balloons. If he tries to fly over you, FLUDD him off of the other edge, or he takes a punish and is put back into the same situation. If he tries to go straight towards the ledge with balloon trip, shoot him and force him to miss. What's he going to do?

Olimar: same as villager, except even more limited.

Pikachu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP2TOzPBRIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93m2PzwaEjg

Pit/Dark Pit: I already feel bad for these two. Shoot them mid up B and drastically alter their flight plans.

Rosalina: shoot her mid up B. Laugh.

Plus, with the lag airdodges induce now, people will be obligated to throw out moves when you're appoaching them while they're in the air. You could bait a move and FLUDD them, which will give the move extra lag, and push them off the stage, potentially putting them in a bad spot if their recovery requires momentum to be effective.

What potential does tornado have outside of slightly extending recovery? What damage/knock back does it do that no other move can? Outside of the stall, what is regular mario losing by not having the special tornado?

That's my theory on how FLUDD will mess with characters' recoveries.

As far the demo goes, someone already mentioned Pikachu and Link, but it's also effective against Mario and Villager and somewhat effective against MM.

Villager: Jump at him with your back towards him. If he tries to go really low with balloon trip, pop his balloons, meteor, or cape him (which will send him up and away from the ledge, which leads to the next part). If he tries to fly over you, FLUDD him off of the other edge, and if he tries to avoid that, he takes a punish and is put back into the same situation. If he tries to go straight towards the ledge with balloon trip, shoot him and force him to miss.

If he uses Loid Rocket and rides it above you, it's a basically a free punish or death.

When my friend played Villager, he basically couldn't recover against me without either dying or getting pushed off again.

Mario: Punish a whiffed up B with FLUDD. Halt his momentum in the air to set up an easy cape, or shoot him mid Up B to make him go up, also setting you up for a cape.

MM: While it's not much, shooting him when he uses Rush coil low can be the difference between him making it back or not. If he uses it high, bait him into retreating towards the ledge and fludd him off.

In general, if people expend their double jump and are fleeing to a ledge, that's a great time to shoot them off. They'll most likely panic and up B.

All of that said, don't always stand on the ledge and shoot FLUDD for an edgeguard. You've still got nair, bair, cape, and reverse Uair (though it's not as good as brawl's). FLUDD kills people for trying to mix you up when you go out there to edgeguard.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
FLUDD could be something to use for a dirty ko on a grounded stage, personally I prefer grounded stages, say somebody is standing at the edge of the stage, use FLUDD and hose them off the stage.

I should test this out on the grounded stages in Brawl, if my theory is correct, then I found a good use for FLUDD which would be the best thing since Dedede spitting somebody off the stage or Ganondorf repetitively stomping away until the opponent is koed.

Top Bottom