• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useless Facts I found while screwing around

7VEN_

Smash Rookie
thx to fadedlamp42 for probably most of the information i will have here
General:
Buffer dthrow by holding down on cstick during grab animation or before grab(only dthrow)
  • Shai drop: it shocks me how some people don't know about this. You can look it up for more detailed explanation but the gist is dash on a platform -> shield while still holding direction -> roll stick down one notch to shield drop. Ideally you don't see the shield at all and you just fall throw the platform with no momentum (this looks really cool if you pivot first (pivot shai drop knee is beautiful) thx to fadedlamp42 ( i dont know how to quote lol)
Luigi:
True Combo U-Tilt to Sweetspot UpB on falco from 32-105%
Roy:
Back Throw chaingrab on puff bots(dash dance to make an ariel miss then regrab)
Puff:Uthrow Upair Rest on 8% fox true combo
Samus:Down B bomb wont lauch her up if in middle of animation
Fox
Dair is a low knockback spike(might be set knockback i probabl y will check later)
Taunt can grab ledge
Captain falcon:
"
  • Boostrun pc-drop: this is something I do on falcon, not sure who else it's relevant for. The concept is that you start maybe half a yoshi's away from ledge then dash towards ledge -> moonwalk by pressing away from ledge and circling back towards -> start run animation by tapping down/away from ledge -> hold towards ledge to boostrun -> hold away from ledge (about the distance of a tilt) to turn around and fall onto ledge. It takes some practice but holy **** is it cool." thx to fadedlamp42 for this

Will Update

Last edited:

fadedlamp42

Smash Rookie
If you're looking for useless tech I know some:

Young Link: throw boomerang > taunt. The boomerang catch animation cancels taunt.
Fox:
Luigi: if you uair on a certain frame while jumping through a platform you'll stay on the platform (interrupts full hop)

If you want actual cool tech:

• Hold down on c-stick to buffer a dthrow (haven't tested with other throws). This is good because pummel -> buffered throw is inescapable at 0%
  • Boostrun pc-drop: this is something I do on falcon, not sure who else it's relevant for. The concept is that you start maybe half a yoshi's away from ledge then dash towards ledge -> moonwalk by pressing away from ledge and circling back towards -> start run animation by tapping down/away from ledge -> hold towards ledge to boostrun -> hold away from ledge (about the distance of a tilt) to turn around and fall onto ledge. It takes some practice but holy **** is it cool.
  • Shai drop: it shocks me how some people don't know about this. You can look it up for more detailed explanation but the gist is dash on a platform -> shield while still holding direction -> roll stick down one notch to shield drop. Ideally you don't see the shield at all and you just fall throw the platform with no momentum (this looks really cool if you pivot first (pivot shai drop knee is beautiful))
  • Z-Power shielding: this is niche as all hell but it's really cool. Once again, look it up for more info, but what the technique does is make your powershield window 1 frame longer and lets you powershield with a max lightshield (falco lasers can't touch your feet or head anymore). I also find z-shielding under utilized for getting out of pressure, especially with low traction characters like marth or luigi
  • Marth killer: once again, this should be common knowledge but just in case: The idea is you roll to ledge > hold z and the direction you pressed during roll to buffer a max light shield tilting off the ledge > wait for marth to up-b and kill himself. What happens is marth's up-b hitbox hits your shield before he can get to ledge and because you're tilting off the ledge AND light shield has increased knockback, you slide off ledge and grab it before he can. This should only be used when his only options are to barely land on stage or sweetspot because it covers both. Again, look it up if you want more than my ****ty explanation
  • Quarter circle SDI: start from a diagonal notch and quarter circle to another diagonal notch during hit-stun to get two SDI inputs. Simple. Stack on ASDI and you'll teleport when you get hit
  • Aerial from ledgedash off: Ok last one. This one is barely a tech but its a cool mixup. All it is: start on ledge -> drop (pressing back is probably better) -> jump towards stage -> waveland off -> jump straight up and do an aerial. Because you're starting at the beginning of your jump you can do much longer aerials and still land on ledge (if you do it perfectly with falcon you can nair from ledgehop and land back on ledge). You can mix this in with haxdashing, ledge refreshes (both instant ff and instant double jump for additional mindgames), and ledgedash -> shield/spotdodge/dash to become a terror on ledge.

Ok I ranted a bit, but yeah: tech n stuff.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
When you wavedash and continue holding down on the analog stick you are able to crouch cancel stuff while sliding.

Top Bottom