• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useless But Interesting (To Me At Least)

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Two weeks ago, my friends and I decided to play a 4-player free for all tiny melee on DL64 with just Pichu. We turned off everything except for poison mushrooms. My friend touches a poison mushroom and shrinks. I throw a barrel at him, which rolls over him without touching him. We were able to repeat this again only when somebody was affected by the poison mushroom. No shielding was needed, the person just had to stand there and not jump into the barrel.

This makes me think that when the barrel's rolling on the ground, it's not actually touching the ground. Half of a capsule also goes into the ground when a Pichu who is holding one is affected by a poison mushroom.

I know this is useless, but is it because the barrel's hitbox is smaller than what can be visually seen? If so, then what causes a barrel to "float" while rolling over a solid, flat surface?

This of course has no benefit whatsoever, but I'm just really curious.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
This is similar to a Kirby holding down over Ganon's wizard's foot. The hitbox missed! Whatever you said was very, very useless (such as free for alls, tiny melee, and item usage).

Still a cool idea and worth trying out.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I think it's because the barrel hitbox is actually smaller than the barrel itself. I don't know much about this game's physics so I can't answer the second part of that question. I think it's because every object in the game can have three different properties of 'boxes'. Either hitbox, grabbox, or the box that determines their overall shape. Maybe in the case of the barrel the shapebox is as big as the picture of it, and the hitbox is smaller. Then with items like the capsule, the shapebox basically disappears while it's being held, thereby letting it enter the same space as other objects.

I'm not sure but I think that sounds about right.

I have to compliment you though. I can never convince anyone to play Pichu. :angry:

^_^

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
I have to compliment you though. I can never convince anyone to play Pichu. :angry:

^_^
Anyone who posts in the Pichu section all encourage me to improve on my Pichu more! Infact, I can wipe out most of my opponents with both eyes closed and playing with my toes.
(first part wasn't sarcasm)

This is all about the physics like Delphiki said. If the hit box approaches the grab box but do not contact, no reaction has been occured.

Top Bottom