• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usefullness of the nair?

Quil

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I play as Jiggs, I often find myself using fair and bair over nair almost always. are there any advantages to the nair? What strategies are there?

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
If your enemy breaks through your wall of pain, nair can lead into bairs and fairs. You might want to use this against Foxes.

A viable sex kick with so-so priority but awesome speed and a good hitbox. If anything you should be throwing nairs along with all your other aerials just to keep them guessing.

EDIT: but Fair is still better.

Sliq

Smash Master
It is good to jump out of shield and nair, because the hitbox comes out faster than bair or fair, and you can DI through your opponent to get behind them with an attack out the whole time, or you can use it to retreat.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Jumping out of shield with the nair is definitely one of its most practical uses. I like to fall on recovering space animals with it too.

Let's not forget its best use though. King Combo, nair to rest. Money every time. >: 3

Quil

Smash Apprentice
extending this further, what about the utilt? How often should that be used, and what are good ways to get someone caught in it?

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
- Utilt -> rest on fastfallers.
- Utilt can also be a nice combo starter. I.E. utilt -> WoP.

CC -> utilt is very nice. You could also WD -> utilt, or utilt from shield. And sidestep -> utilt. Many oppertunities!

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Nair = sexiness
Up tilt= less sexy

I think that the nair can be a little more useful but over using it means you ain/t WoPing and if you aren't you are either in trouble or comboing them to death with Uair and REst.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Nair isn't part of your wall of pain generally, but it has many uses.

Often as Jigglypuff you'll find yourself above an opponent while you're trying to get down onto the ground. I find that sudden fastfall nairs are a good way to get down safely. Jiggly doesn't fall very fast, but if you fastfall from the peak of a jump, it looks a lot faster (since you accelerate to fastfall immediately instead of gradually floating down).

Now, you could just as well dair, it's true, however it has more lag when you land, and also doesn't autocancel after the last frame of hitbox like nair does. There is a time and a place for each.

The nair has 2 hitboxes. One is right under Jiggly, and the other is kind of centered around her little flipper. The flipper hitbox has a LOT more priority. Use this knowledge to your advantage. One way this helps is with ledgehop nairs as a safe way to get back on the stage. If you do it right, you can move quite far in with it.

I notice that few people can tech the weak nair hits reliably, this sets them up for fsmash or dash attack (Jiggly's dash attack is very underused IMO).

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
What is so special about auto-canceling for the nair? I don't understand how it is any different than an l-cancel. Sorry if thats a stupid question, but I am confused, and i couldn't find nething with a search.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Auto-cancel means you only have landing lag (aka 4 frames). This is less than the normal L-cancel lag of 10 frames for nair.

Even though nair actually lasts 49 frames, it auto-cancels on the 29th, which is the frame right after the hitbox disappears. So, if you land on the 29th or later frame you have the least amount of lag possible, less than if you Lcancel (which you don't need to do if you auto cancel). Most aerials have some window where they can be autocancelled (generally it is after the hitbox goes away but before the end of the actual duration of the move).

Try this: Do a short hop nair, but nair RIGHT as soon as you jump. You'll still be in the nair animation as you land, but when you land there won't be any lag because it will have autocancelled. This is what makes the Nair-rest combo possible.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Jigglypuff_frames_11.6.05.txt

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Um the nair is definitely useful when u want to hit them while DI\'ing behind them. I agree with kind combo which works rly well and is unexpected. The u-tilt is prolly better though because it works against almost every1 at low damages to combo. My favorite combo involving u-tilt is definitely bair u-tilt then either rest or WoP. Bair >> u-tilt is definitely an easy way to rest the majority of characters from 0%. BTW just so every knows samus can be rest combo\'ed at above 50% with insane follow up.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
watch king vids hes the best puff in the world hes good at DI ing downsmashes at 140 percent on yoshi story to not lose tournament sets vs me.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
If people still don't understand autocancel then shff dair with Ness. This is also known as foot cancelling.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
- Utilt -> rest on fastfallers.
At lower percentages, I've found that Utilt can lead to rest on pretty much any character. I don't recall how I did it, but when my friend tried to go Marth on me in a tournament match I got three Utilt > Rests on him so fast, he forfeited his last stock.

Top Bottom