• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful up-b trick on battlefield

PonderousSealion

Smash Rookie
If you go to the top platform of battlefield and use your up-b in the diagonal down direction you land on either of the platforms with 0 landing lag. Seems like it could be a good option when you've got someone below you or could even be a good OOS option. Literally just discovered this and I haven't really seen Axe or anyone use it in matches, so I'm not sure if this is an unknown thing or if it just isn't that great. I honestly see no disadvantages to using it since it doesn't come with any landing lag. If some other more skilled Pikas (I'm terrible) could let me know what they think it would be appreciated.

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
This is actually pretty neat, I didn't know about this. It seems to be a lot easier to do to the right for some reason. I think it's not particularly useful though because even though there's almost no landing lag, quick-attack still has a ton of startup lag, and you're probably better off just running to the platform most of the time. It could be really useful if there were situations where you needed to techchase someone on the platform below you, but that never happens. Might be alright for getting off the top platform if you don't wanna shielddrop though.

PonderousSealion

Smash Rookie
It wouldn't be good to use more than a couple times a set, but still a neat trick to have in your bag of tricks nonetheless. Even if there are the 4 frames of lag, which I'm not going to check or debate because whatever, i still think it's at least good for the "what the hell was that?" factor.

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
They have more than enough time to react to you is the problem, so it's not a mixup, it's just a movement option. A couple of times a set is a very generous for tech like this - you have to be grounded on the top platform and need to get to a side platform on a single stage. I'm definitely putting it in my bag of tricks but I don't see what situation it would be useful in.

More importantly, doing tests in debug mode, running off and fastfalling to the platform takes 33 frames (give or take) and this method takes 43. It's just really slow, and 43 frames is an awful lot of time to react so the surprise factor is negligible.

It's a neat technique, but not every neat technique is useful. I've discovered a million neat techniques that have no practical application at all and I'm quite sad about it.

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
I'm actually exteremely curious why it behaves differently when angled to the right versus to the left though. I've never seen a comprehensive description of what situation exactly causes QA to generate poofies when you hit the ground, I just have an intuitive sense that it's something about being close to the ground when it ends.

Top Bottom