• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USEFUL Extremely Advanced Arrow Combat

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
This thread is dedicated to showing pits how to properly use arrow loop to set up for kills, combos, gimps, and other stage specific uses. However at no point will i ever say looping is better than just spamming arrows. keep in mind that if the opponent is away from you and you can spam arrows, don't be dumb. spam arrows

Ways to Hide Your Loop

one of the things you have gotta learn is how to not move (or at least significantly enough to mess up spacing) while looping arrows.

strafe shooting is done by holding shield while looping causes you roll or sidestep based on which angle you are going for. a full circle on the stick brings back to where you were with another roll.

pocket sniping- shoot an arrow up. now start charging another arrow. now loop the first arrow while charging the second. fire the second whereever you want.

plank looping is drop off the edge and shoot an arrow up. jump and grab ledge. then loop it as you are grabbing the edge again. (suggested by Luckay)

loop 'n' smash is when you shoot an arrow. then start charging a smash with the cstick and the attack button. then loop your arrow whereever you want.

loop stalling is the act of hiding your arrow off the screen while continuously looping it until you need it. this usually makes opponents think that you have lost your arrow as opposed to it still being a threat. the only thing that is hard about this is managing to hide it for a long period of time.

Delayed Looping
now with ways to not move while shooting/cover up the more advanced ATs out of the way, let me tell you guys about an AT i call delayed looping. delayed looping is the easiest way for you to get your loops to start setting up for you if you know where they are going to be. let me tell you the ways i do this as i consider these particular set ups as part of the root of my pit style.

a) really get the feel for how fast your arrows are first otherwise you will fail at this miserably. when you really start to feel the arrow (im being serious and idc if it sounds lame) then you can start to do Vertical delayed looping (VDL). all you are doing with this is firing the arrow up while being sure not to move. watch your opponent until they start to move. then shoot a distraction arrow and loop the other while you're in the shooting animation. they never see u move during the loop so thus they can't predict where or from what angle its coming from. you can also use any of the above hiding methods combined with loop stalling and that is also VDL.

b) once you have down the speed of the arrow, you must practice and master all of the results of pit's different loop curves and angles. which is why this AT this is a little more difficult to perform because you are firing this arrow hoping to miss the first time. let me explain how Horizantal delayed looping works. what you are doing is baiting a dodge, sidestep, airdodge, any thing that makes you miss with a straight arrow. then once your arrow is out of the focus of the camera but still active loop it up above the screen and bring it back down on them. now this doesn't sound difficult but here are a couple things to add to your current thought process about it. this AT is 100% dependent on your stage posistion. if you are facing the edge of map and you're firing that way the arrow will disapear. however you can't let your opponent see what you are doing so that means you can't see it either. you have to feel the loop while making sure your arrow stays in the horizantal boundaries without seeing it or looping it right off the bat like normal. hell i still am working on this one yet i still think the next one is harder.

c) when you truly are at one with your arrow, this AT becomes possible. this is by far the hardest of the delayed loops because this you must learn to do on reaction or it probably won't work. this is the Power Shield Deflect delayed loop (lets call it PSDDL). wat you are doing on this one is recognizing that one of you power shielded arrows was deflected in a direction and then looping that deflected arrow to come back and hit the opponent. when you power shield a projectile it does not become yours it just deflecting as opposed to reflecting. thus you can bring those arrows back around after they get deflected to come back and try again almost 100% guarenteed to take anyone by suprise.

Other Arrow Techniques (contributors listed)

Katana's Fade- Spam a bit. Then about then time they get mid range, shoot one in the opposite direction looped perfectly. After you shoot, you can just press "A". You will usually end up doing a F-tilt, and they will run into it. I some times do a d-smash. If not, the arrow comes from behind as insurance and safety, which will lead to your kill or combo set up. (katana koden)

Under Looping- this is really important as this works at 2/3 of pits best stages (imo) Halberd and Delphino Plaza. on these stages you can shoot an upward arrow and loop it away and down and then continue to bring it up from the under side of the stage and then continues through under sides of platform. when the arrow comes up through the it pops up right in front of you allowing for some interesting set ups. plus you can just keep looping it as it keeps coming up in front of you acting as a semi wall.

i am going to add more to this as i work on other aspects of arrow combat as well. suggestions are always welcome also. And for other Advanced Stuff here is my Pit Advanced Play tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6zz4Wda-M

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I'd rather spam than mindgame myself with all these looped arrows while my opponent is charging at me, lol.

Another way to loop while being still is loop planking. Drop from the ledge, jump shoot, and regrab the ledge while you loop the arrow to hit them. If you loop it away from the stage, the arrow rains down on them.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
delayed looping is the easiest way for you to get your loops to start setting up for you if you know where they are going to be
luckay im not saying do this when they are far away from you instead of arrow spamming. this entire thread is arrow SET UPS for things like kills, combos, and arrow hit> into high damagers like bair or fsmash. sry if wasn't clear on that. also i will add plank loop to the loop hiding part

oh and yes Katana Koden, double arrow one vertical and one horizantal.

btw ima add this to OP but a good tactic for throwing your opponents timing off is by looping it a couple times while its off the screen and then bringing it down when you need it.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Well then I have a few tricks. A simple one of my favorites. 90% of the time someone who blocks and charges between arrow shots, usually will fall for this. So simple.

Spam a bit. Then about then time they get mid range, shoot one in the opposite direction looped perfectly. After you shoot, you can just press "A". You will usually end up doing a F-tilt, and they will run into it. I some times do a d-smash. If not, the arrow comes from behind as insurance and safety, which will lead to your kill or combo set up.

I've used it in tournaments and others. G, Walker or tko is probably the only ones known on this forum that might be able to experience it.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
This sounds like a good thread. Finally, Arrow Looping is being explored. I'll try to contribute to this thread as much as I can, but I probably won't be able to contribute much since I've been busy lately ^^;. Still, hope to see this advance even further ^__^.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
adding this to the OP.
i 4got to mention how to utilize under looping. this is really important as this works at 2/3 of pits best stages (imo) Halberd and Delphino Plaza. on these stages you can shoot an upward arrow and loop it away and down and then continue to bring it up from the under side of the stage and then continues through under sides of platform. when the arrow comes up through the it pops up right in front of you allowing for some interesting set ups. plus you can just keep looping it as it keeps coming up in front of you acting as a semi wall.

pulse131

Smash Ace
dont be dumb. spam arrows.
so much freaking win.
you forgot to add how this guide is 100% pointless and ineffective against those with pulse in their name o.o

pulse131

Smash Ace
this first line was a quote
the 2nd line was a compliment
the last part was a joke
-.-

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
**** off my looping thread ryan you *******. did you even read the top of the thread dip****? yes ladies and gentlemen the legendary Pit slayer Pulse the ****in A flack-oh is practically immune to arrow loop due to the fact that i taught myself every single loop trick that i have ever tried or developed on my own by practicing on pretty much him and then a little bit on blaze. however seeing as how my tricks have gotten me victories against ranked players and since THEY don't have pulse in their name im pretty sure you need to F**K OFF MY THREAD!

ignore pulse everyone. hes being stupid

dude, chill.
you're overreacting.
and pulse, if you don't have anything to contribute, please don't post.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
What CYVE basically just said. Don't post something in this thread unless it's something worth contributing.

Also, no hating on Arrow Looping >__>. It's actually a legit AT, it's just that a lot of people use it the wrong way. And besides, the whole "Arrow looping Sucks" argument is so old now. Just drop it and let Pit improve his meta-game.

pulse131

Smash Ace
yall uh bunch o crazies.
i was trolling maharba cuz i play him so much and seeing as how he's PROBABLY the best looper around, i know everything there is to know about getting around it.
srsly i power shield/dodge/reflect those arrows all day.
so yes i know exactly how good it is and to what extent it isnt. if anything im the one who should be worthy of trolling it just for fun.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
yall uh bunch o crazies.
i was trolling maharba cuz i play him so much and seeing as how he's PROBABLY the best looper around, i know everything there is to know about getting around it.

bold text speaks for itself.
you are used to HIM and HIS style, i bet you will have difficulties with other loopers (yass, me, etc.)
one thing i know is, that almost all pits loop their arrows differently. :)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!!!!! late me lay all this out right now.

ryan(pulse) im sorry i did not originally get your joke because i was so drunk i fell head first into my tool box in my room and got pissed read that and ranted drunkly.

Next: wow you really think my looping is that good? thank you :):):):):):):):)

Next: guys dont hate on pulse because i was **** faced. as i read it now it is funny. plus he is not just good against my pit. i watched him slay a couple other good norcal pits at tag because he know this MU so well. he even got a spike combo by kicking his reflector where he knew their arrow loop was coming from and then jumped again and spiked him. also he plays the best specifically anti kirby pit that i know (he specifically uses pit only to counter pick kirby because pit beats kirby if played right) so he is no nub with pit as a character either. im sorry i started this aguement. every one chill?

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
bold text speaks for itself.
you are used to HIM and HIS style, i bet you will have difficulties with other loopers (yass, me, etc.)
one thing i know is, that almost all pits loop their arrows differently
I agree with this. Pit's arrows are so cool that we can loop in so many different ways to make it our own.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I feel like we already get unlimited arrows. Mine are nearly heat seeking, but I guess that only applies to those of us who are accurate. Sorry abel :(

Top Bottom