• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful D-AIR?

Da Illlest

Smash Cadet
I dont get this move at all. I try spking and miss sometime and FALL dramatically to my death. Sometimes it comes out slow and i get frustrated and keep clicking it and again tragically fall to my death. Some1 got N E USE 4 this move?

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Situational. I found it usefull at times when droping from a platform like battlefield when an enemy is below, right timing of course, or sometimes for recoverying from up high but rather mindgame at that since i rarely use it and it would be somewhat unexpected

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
I found this useful as it is so situational that when you can use it people will not expect it. I've found it best as a spike for when I'm coming back on stage from off stage and am above my opponent. Since it is quick you are generally able to hit them with it if you have good timing. Basically you only want to do it when you two would hit with no stage below you and when you'd land on stage from the slight angel it makes. This if nothing else will surprise your opponent and make them a little less likely to juggle you off stage. Also looks really cool when you get that kill in ... it's like haha pwned silly non ZS main.

Da Illlest

Smash Cadet
Ok some of this is intresting except my shield happy opponent i play often, but is there a reason it goes slow sometimes? is this random? When it slows down i get punished by his U-air. I think theres more to this move thats not discovered or it is and someone holding out to hog all the glory.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you - dair will one day be used properly but right now this is the best that it it - in a game with diminishing returns it is best to not throw out any moves

the slow dair comes from ZS having upward momentum and if u initiate the dair before the apex of your upward motion from the best I can gather you should slow dair ... not 100% sure though other things cause this like G&W up air - it is not random

Garde

Smash Ace
It's never random for the slow moving one and it's just like Ares said. If you have upward momentum from an opponent's effect, whether it's an attack or some weird property (not from your own jump), you will fall slow during the move. You can also stay still in the air while using it if you midair jump while you have upward momentum from the first method (basically the opponent did something made you move upward, or a stage makes you fall slow, etc.).

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Uses

So far I've found four useful ways to use the Dair

First and most important would be as a counter against people who roll or is in general stand right behind you. Most people like to use the forward smash to counter rollers but backward hit I've found to be weak and noneffective against low percentage characters, however if you hit someone with the Dair on the ground they will be shot away, thus making it that much easier to remain safe

Second is the fact that Zamus can spike people who hang on the ledge without killing herself. This use isn't very practical and in most cases if not all more dangerous then using the down smash. To do this you must perfect position yourself the correct distant from the ledge and without going over to hit your hanging opponent. Nothing complex here just simple logic.

Third, this one is by far my favorite use of the down aerial. When characters like Marth are just about to recover SH and use a down aerial off of the ledge into them. Your goal here is to trade hits, which will cancel your downward trajectory while giving your opponent a sweet spike to the face.

The fourth and final use is just another way to get onto the stage.

Note: I’ve yet to do this one offline so I don’t really know how easily block this is.

Anyways what I always do after I kill someone in brawl is quickly run of the side of the stage and tether hang off as this puts me in a fairly hard position to hit so generally I’m completely safe while my opponent invincibility frames run out. From here I got many options but to use the Dair effectively against my edge guarding opponent is when I use special properties of the special stick and quickly pull myself up to the ledge then while still holding the stick I quickly do a ledge jump into a Dair. This is very quick and I’ve hit over a half a dozen people with this online even with barely any lag.

I would love it if someone could add something I’ve miss as far as Dair uses besides just Dair after going though a platform.

Edit: The special C stick I think uses buffing so by holding the stick like I said above will make you do a jump from ledge as soon as possible. You don't need have to hold the stick down to also do the Dair

Top Bottom