• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB Wifi Connecter (Lag Reduction)?

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
I've been trying for days now to play a solid game of Brawl on wifi, and all I've gotten to do so far, are have a few lagged out games with two friends, attempt to join a with anyone match and not find anyone, and spectate plenty of matches.

Anyone with a WIFI USB connector able to connect fine and brawl with anyone normally, without lag?

And I realize the best option might be to buy a wireless router, but I don't have cash, so does anyone have some tips to reduce lag with a usb connector?

aaron123

Smash Cadet
Very very seldom do I get a perfect lagless match on the USB. I'm attributing it to luck of the draw.

Just keep trying, I guess. Or wait for Nintendo to fix it.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
I use the USB Wifi connecter because I live on a college campus that disallows any gaming system on the campus wireless network, and doesn't allow students to use a personal wireless router. And for me, the lag is hit or miss. Many times, the wifi games I play are clear as day, with people all over the country. But there are also the occasional games where I'll play people only a couple of miles away and the lag will be so bad that its almost unplayable.

aaron123

Smash Cadet
No, I might be able to get a with anyone match maybe once or twice a day. It's so unstable that I don't bother and just play with friends I find. *Everyone* has this problem. Nintendo hasn't fixed their with anyone servers yet.

For the with friends option, I had a match against a guy which had an okay connection, but rematching him with nothing different made the 2nd and 3rd matches completely unplayable. It's sporadic--just keep trying against different people.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Prepare to be jealous then, because I hardly ever get lag in my "with anyone" matches. The first few days were horrible, but now, its clear as a whistle for me most of the time. But it is indeed sporadic, and the only thing I've been able to do about the lag is hope and pray that it clears up

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I haven't even gotten to join a with anyone match yet..

I can tell its something to do with my connection.. but it sucks terribly that I have to deal with a bad connection.

All the lag-clearing up I've seen is just for wireless routers.. thanks for the help attempts though.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
I have yet to play a single, solitary match of brawl online without any sort of lag or significant input delay.

That's entirely unacceptable in a game like this if you ask me...if Virtua Fighter 5 can play just as smooth online, I don't understand why Brawl can't.

Chronopolian

Smash Rookie
Prepare to be jealous then, because I hardly ever get lag in my "with anyone" matches. The first few days were horrible, but now, its clear as a whistle for me most of the time. But it is indeed sporadic, and the only thing I've been able to do about the lag is hope and pray that it clears up
What´s your connection speed?

I have the same issue as the TC. I have the USB adapter and I´m unable to play any single match lagless... :( The only ones I can play barely decent are 1 vs 1, but if I want to play casuals "with anyone" it´s just a lagfest.

I would really appreciate if the people who play lagless could post also their connection speed.

Darth Vivi

Smash Rookie
I use the usb connector, and it input lags every time I play. I don't think there's any solution except to play with people close to you. Also, I keep hearing people say how Nintendo will eventually "fix" it, but I don't see how that's possible. The game's already been released, the matches are peer to peer, and I simply don't know what they could do to reduce lag. However, I hope that I'm wrong.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The Lan Adapter (sold for the Wii) works wonders for me. I can have some nice clean matches with this thing. I need a ethernet Cord (which comes with it) in order for it to work. It cuts lags while still being reliable for online games

I reccommand anyone to use it

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
I don't think there's any solution except to play with people close to you. .
Yeah.. too bad I played my RL friend who is.. like 6 blocks from me, and a couple times its been okay.. but its been un-playable many times as well.

Is there a way to check how strong your connection to Wifi is?

Top Bottom