• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB HDDs and Flash Drives that work for you with DIOSMIOS

Quillion

Smash Hero
So it looks like not all USB drives will work with DIOS MIOS. There isn't much I can do about this, but I don't want to keep spending money on drives that won't work.

So what drives do you use that work for you?

(EDIT) PERSONAL NOTE: I'll just put that I'll prefer a flash drive over a HDD because they're much more manageable.

(EDIT 2) I'll also put that my current drive, Lexar 16GB Twist-turn drive (LJDTT16G), DOES NOT WORK.

(EDIT 3) Go ahead and post SD Cards as well, even though they're not in the title.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guess I'll give it a go.

Though let's still continue this thread in case other potential Melee hackers will want something that will work.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Samsung/Seagate 1TB internal SATA drive in an enclosure (model no. ST1000LM024). Works fine with everything I've tried doing with it.
I also had one of these - an 8 GB Integral Noir flash drive, which worked perfectly as long as games were extracted (FST). Running them as ISOs, games tended to be slow to load, particularly music (for example, in Fire Emblem, a battle would be over before the music began playing).
For SD cards, I have two blue Sandisk 2 GB cards. also note that SD cards can be just as finicky as USB drives, and not all are guaranteed to work.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If an SD Card works with Homebrew, will it be guaranteed to work for DIOS MIOS?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I wouldn't say "guaranteed", more "highly likely". DIOS MIOS is not the same as other homebrew, it's an IOS, so it has to construct its own connections to the system's hardware, and its method of connecting to SD cards may introduce incompatibilities that the Wii itself doesn't have.

Doq

Smash Lord
I have a new wii, so DM will not work for me at all, but I had an old Maxtor HDD I pulled out of my really old computer (a P3 Dell). Worked beautifully outside of the size limitations. It was a 9gb disk.

Generic 16gb SanDisk SDHC works too.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have a new wii, so DM will not work for me at all, but I had an old Maxtor HDD I pulled out of my really old computer (a P3 Dell). Worked beautifully outside of the size limitations. It was a 9gb disk.

Generic 16gb SanDisk SDHC works too.
You're talking specifically about Nintendont, right?

DRGN

Technowizard
I use DIOS MIOS Lite, version 2.10, with 32 GB Patriot SD cards, as well as their 32 GB micro SD cards. Good size, fast speed, good brand, and a great price on newegg. Although, speaking of speed, I assume they're being bottlenecked by the Wii's transfer speed. That's something I've wanted to know for a long time, the Wii's SD card slot transfer speed, and especially in comparison to its USB transfer speed. Anyone know which is faster or where I could possibly find these specs?

I'll also probably be trying a 32 GB Samsung soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have FINALLY succeeded in running a Melee FST off of an SD Card, patched with SD Remix, too.

My SD Card is a SanDisk 8 GB Class 4, which was easy enough to find at Wal-Mart.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Everything in the picture works for Melee/PM. Don't really know the specific model of them though.

BTW, does anyone know why my Wii has like a 25% rate of not loading the GC ISO with DIOS MIOS? Most of the time it loads in the first try, but sometimes I need to reset the Wii to properly load the ISO, once it loads it runs perfectly fine without problems. The 25% increase if I use my 750gb external HDD, I think its because I have tons of ISOs (GC and Wii) and another partition with data in it. This doesn't happen with my friend's Wii, even if I use any of my USBs.

Top Bottom