• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB controller adapter help

bdeink

Smash Rookie
NNID
bdeink
3DS FC
3179-6082-2990
I'm looking to get into competitive smash 64. I play the other games with the gc controller, but I really want to learn and play this game with the original N64 controller.

Are there any good adapters, and what should I avoid? Adaptoid is far too expensive for me, but I'd still like to go for one of the better options in terms of both lag and functionability when used with an emulator.
Also, any tips on which software to use?

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Raphnet or Mayflash are generally the most common options. Adaptoids are pretty rare, to be honest. I personally use the Raphnet, and think it works well.

What do you mean by which software to use? To play on an emulator?

bdeink

Smash Rookie
NNID
bdeink
3DS FC
3179-6082-2990
Thanks for your answer!

So far, I've been playing on the wii virtual console and with a keyboard and PJ64. Are there better options to go for, and are there any plugins I should get?

I actually thought about getting a raphnet N64-->GC adapter, for use on the wii. I have a bit more trouble deciding which usb adapter to go for. Thanks for the tip!

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your answer!

So far, I've been playing on the wii virtual console and with a keyboard and PJ64. Are there better options to go for, and are there any plugins I should get?

I actually thought about getting a raphnet N64-->GC adapter, for use on the wii. I have a bit more trouble deciding which usb adapter to go for. Thanks for the tip!
Competitively, Wii VC is highly discouraged. Wii VC skips frames which isn't very viable for competitive play if even top players are missing inputs due to the VC. I personally advise you to either get used to emulator/online or buy an N64 console along with Super Smash Bros. Or do both, which is definitely the best way to approach it in my experience.

For now, I would get the n64 > usb adapter and use that to play online. Invest the money you would spend on a n64 > gc adapter into an actual console.

bdeink

Smash Rookie
NNID
bdeink
3DS FC
3179-6082-2990
I didn't know that about VC. I'll steer clear of that, then. I have the PJ64 emulator with updated plugins, and I might even buy a console later.

ganas

Smash Cadet
Is this better than Raphnet/Mayflash? But not quite adaptoid level? I know I've seen someone mention this once before but I didn't really pay much attention to it.
I have one of each of Raph's and RetroUSB's adapters, they both work very well. I don't notice a difference between the two.

Top Bottom