• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Was the "revert NTSC nerfs" toggle decided to be too complex to reasonably develop? [that's a shame, since I think that it's easily the most interesting toggle option]

EDIT: NTSC-U nerfs, I mean.
1. I don't know anything about character balancing.
2. I won't divide a community with such toggles.
3. Far too complex to reasonably develop.

Sorry dude

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to know anything about character balancing, it's literally just returning the characters back to their NTSC-J values. [changing Luigi's air speed from 22.5 to 26.0, for example] There's no expectation of actually balancing the game, just giving back characters [that aren't that good anyway] back some of the things that were taken away from them going into NTSC-U. [and, therefore, if the "far too complex" calculation in your head is including the time it would take to try and actually balance things, that's not actually a part of what I'm suggesting]

Can you explain what division of the community you would expect? Nobody can argue with you regarding balancing, because the entire premise of what you're doing is "we're going to revert all the values to NTSC-J that I possibly can", with the assumption being that the result will be more balanced--even if only for low-tier tournaments or something.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
You don't have to know anything about character balancing, it's literally just returning the characters back to their NTSC-J values.
I'm incapable of making these changes. I don't know the structure.

Can you explain what division of the community you would expect?
I don't do game changing toggles. I won't do stage hazard toggles. I won't do character balance toggle. Ultimately, someone will think the game is played better one way and I just don't want to deal with that. Keep the game as vanilla as possible while still adding features. This way, no one can complain.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it's your mod and I can't stop you, but surely you realize that adding FD, BF, MC, SYI, etc. is way more game-changing [in reference to the meta] than any stage hazard toggles you could ever do. In the end, I don't think you're going to see people complain about you adding features, because they simply won't use them if they don't like them.

If you're limiting yourself from having to deal with idiots that will complain about you adding features that they don't even have to use, then that's a shame, but I'm just confused as to why you think that removing stages and replacing them with other stages is even vaguely less controversial/game-changing.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I mean, it's your mod and I can't stop you, but surely you realize that adding FD, BF, MC, SYI, etc. is way more game-changing [in reference to the meta] than any stage hazard toggles you could ever do. In the end, I don't think you're going to see people complain about you adding features, because they simply won't use them if they don't like them.

If you're limiting yourself from having to deal with idiots that will complain about you adding features that they don't even have to use, then that's a shame, but I'm just confused as to why you think that removing stages and replacing them with other stages is even vaguely less controversial/game-changing.
19XXTE . Nothing available for tournament use in the vanilla game will be changed or changable. End of story.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
So what's the explanation of adding 1P Mode stages? Or are they not in TE?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Playing with the debug menu to see if I can find out something about how character costumes are stored when I find that there's an unused group of bytes between Purin (puff) and Ness. It's likely that at one point in development there was another character who had 3 costumes. Fun

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
So what's the explanation of adding 1P Mode stages? Or are they not in TE?
Not sure that this is a good idea... It's probably fine if you keep the regular stock icons as well but if you remove them it's going to cause a conflict in UI familiarity for many players and that's not a good thing for having to switch back and forth between 19xx and original. The enhancements in this mod should be just that, enhancements and not changes.
This quote explains the ideology pretty well. I wanted to change the stock icons to always appear as numbers because I thought it would fix the polygon stock icon bug (it didn't).

And again, Dreamland, Peach's, and Hyrule all play the exact way that they would play in the vanilla version which fits the "TE"

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
This quote explains the ideology pretty well. I wanted to change the stock icons to always appear as numbers because I thought it would fix the polygon stock icon bug (it didn't).

And again, Dreamland, Peach's, and Hyrule all play the exact way that they would play in the vanilla version which fits the "TE"
Even with the recommended toggles [mostly referring to stage hazards here--while I think my idea isn't a bad one, I realize that it's not popular] it's still possible to play Dream Land, Peach's Castle, Congo Jungle, etc. in the exact same way that is possible in vanilla. As long as the toggles always default to the way the game is in vanilla, then you won't get people confused complaining about these toggles, because the only people who will even be using them are the people who (1) are aware of them and (2) voluntarily opt to turn those toggles on.

The point is consistent with what Fire said: these toggles are enhancements for the people who want them, but don't affect gameplay at all for the ones who don't. Definition of enhancement.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
...I can't change costumes? I don't use button activators either. You have no idea how difficult this would be.

If you have a "fire Mario" Gameshark code or something sitting around, I'd love to take a look at it but until then I'm working on other things
The mexicans put out bad documentation on link's color pallet and items. You can figure it out it's not hard.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
message that nokasoak whatever guy on here, or dannyssb they had the information. There is a new mexican site but i dont know the name of it you can use google to find it if you try hard enough

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Fine, then let's talk about a specific example. Let's say that I think that Metal Cavern ought not to be a tournament legal stage. Some people might disagree with me and either claim that (1) it is a neutral stage or (2) that its presence adds to the metagame.

How is this not a division in the sense that you are defining it? How has your adding Metal Cavern to the stage list not been the sole reason for this division? [this entire argument could replace "Metal Cavern" with "Story Yoshi's Island", since I feel like the stage has the potential to be just as controversial]

And, more importantly, why do you even concern yourself with a division that will ultimately be solved within the community anyway? Metal Cavern [just like Hyrule's Castle, Congo Jungle, Peach's Castle, etc.] will ultimately be decided to not be included by the majority of 19XXTE tournaments, and it will cease to be an issue. Same with stage hazards [which would be an interesting argument] and same with character balances [which wouldn't be an argument! Nobody is going to play with NTSC-J mode on, unless it's some silly side event. But it's still a cool feature to have nontheless for those side events, or even for friendlies]

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
And, more importantly, why do you even concern yourself with a division that will ultimately be solved within the community anyway?
Good point. Added because it's easy.

I will not be doing the NTSU-J stuff simply because it's unrealistic at the time being. Smile

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Understood. I suspect that certain values [air speed, attack knockback/damage, walk speed, jump height, etc.] are stored somewhere as simple values that could be changed with something as simple as a Gameshark code, but I don't have the tools to research this myself, unfortunately. I'm sure Madao would be able to do so, but I wouldn't ask him to do something like that unless there was some level of acceptance for the idea from the person making this mod.

If these values were something that could be changed via Gameshark codes, would you be able to add in NTSC-J buffs easily into a toggle?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Understood. I suspect that certain values [air speed, attack knockback/damage, walk speed, jump height, etc.] are stored somewhere as simple values that could be changed with something as simple as a Gameshark code, but I don't have the tools to research this myself, unfortunately. I'm sure Madao would be able to do so, but I wouldn't ask him to do something like that unless there was some level of acceptance for the idea from the person making this mod.

If these values were something that could be changed via Gameshark codes, would you be able to add in NTSC-J buffs easily into a toggle?
Likely not. I claimed total ignorance for sake of ease but you're fairly persistent so I'll let you know what I know.

1. A lot of that stuff is documented and possible to edit. I know hitbox data is for sure.
2. Hitbox data and attributes are stored in character files.
3. Files aren't always stored in the same place in RAM. The addresses are not static. Because of this, you'd have to find the data on every stage with every character combination etc. It's borderline undoable (it's been done in Melee by _glook) but there is not enough known on file loading to make it possible.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
site has been dead they had RAM offsets which only worked for training mode that let you change link's pallets rgb.
So now I can recolor the non textured parts of costumes (like marios arms, hat, shoes) but that still doesn't allow me to edit the textured spots (without texture hacking). I'd have to replace costumes instead of adding which I don't think you guys would want.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Ultimately, anything that turns black when you press up or down on the dpad (to indicate polygons) can be changed via gameshark code or in my case rom patch. Everything else needs to be texture hacked.

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
How do you patch it on Mac? I tried using MultiPatch, but it says the format is not supported.

Ataxia

Smash Rookie
Jorgasms the real MVP with this Rom Patch. Been enjoying it on netplay with my friends all week. Never knew how much I really wanted a timer on stock before this. So hype for further updates.

Is there anyway I could get a rundown on how custom stages or characters might end up being a reality? Not necessarily in this patch, but in general for 64.

Last edited:

Jayr

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if it is possible to add hitstun effect on hitbox mode. We have Red for hitboxes, Blue for invecibility, Green Intangibility.

On Melee we have light blue for Hitstun which I think it is very useful for combos and training (I train with CPUs on level 1 so I don't need the training mode so much).

Is that possibile Jorgasms?

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
about the division of the community u can always add tournament mode lock like wat salvato did in 20xxte so the game becomes vinilla despite the togles on

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
btw if u press c-right and left fast enough u toggle c- up for some reason

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I was wondering if it is possible to add hitstun effect on hitbox mode. We have Red for hitboxes, Blue for invecibility, Green Intangibility.

On Melee we have light blue for Hitstun which I think it is very useful for combos and training (I train with CPUs on level 1 so I don't need the training mode so much).

Is that possibile Jorgasms?
Are you really practicing in hit box mode?

Jorgasms the real MVP with this Rom Patch. Been enjoying it on netplay with my friends all week. Never knew how much I really wanted a timer on stock before this. So hype for further updates.

Is there anyway I could get a rundown on how custom stages or characters might end up being a reality? Not necessarily in this patch, but in general for 64.
In general for 64, not at all. There's no set way that all games store data otherwise this game would have been hacked for years.

I don't know where I'll be on custom stages and characters in 6 months. I really can't gauge progress because one small thing can literally change everything. For example, when I was working on texture hacking, I had read every documented method of doing it and decided which one was most efficient. However, when I'd try to pull textures, they'd be scrambled and send me back to the drawing board. When @tehz realized that they were swapped every other line, I was able to produce the custom SSS in just a few hours. same thing with injecting code and getting the microcode error. I spent soooo much time coming up with ways to get around it early to eventually find out it was a plugin issue which is what ultimately made the debug menu a reality.

I can't give a timeline not can I promise custom stages will ever be a thing because right now, all I can do is modify collisions, add/remove grab able ledges, and fiddle with vertex data through r and d.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
Since u can dive into the game like this is it possible to make an n64 or z64 archiver to look at individual files and the like?

Jayr

Smash Cadet
Are you really practicing in hit box mode?
Yes, and it is very useful, but it does not indicate when the cpu or human is on hitstun mode. Many people practice melee on hitbox mode and it is so helpful in terms of knowing your character and combos well. I don't know if the hitbox mode in smash 64 is limited to red, blue and green, but if it is possible, adding this feature would not hurt anybody. It is just a suggestion. :)

Last edited:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
someone has the new 19XXTE 0.9g wad? I have the old wad , but I want the update, please =)
i have it, but it will not load up in dolphin. i haven't tested on a wii.

i'm thinking this is probably because the boot to debug codes but i am not sure

Sam'sAwakening

Smash Cadet
What is the best plugin/emulator for this hack? I can't figure out how to play the game on PJ64 (Rice and Glide64 won't work for me), and it'd be really cool if someone could help

GFD

Smash Cadet
For Super Smash Bros., GLideN64 works pretty well for me. (No, that's not the same thing as Glide64.) You could also use angrylion's pixel-accurate RDP if you have a supercomputer.

Top Bottom