• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upcoming tourny...Advice?

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys my main is Mario (2nd is Samus) and my school is organizing a smash tourny for a club in a few days. I was hoping to get some advice against certain styles of gameplay wth my Mario.

One guy I know is playing in the tourny, and his mains are Peach and also Mario. I know that some things he likes to do a lot are crouch cancel with d-smashes and play a lot of WD mind games. Anything you think I could do to get around this? I know that Peach is a hard match-up for Mario...any thoughts?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Well, if you're up against a Peach, then the only thing that I can suggest is for you to just use Samus. Samus v Peach is a VASTLY better matchup than Mario v Peach. . .check the "Mario's Hardest Matchups" thread and you'll get an idea of why. Though you probably already know.

If you're using Mario, however, then I would suggest that you avoid the standard shffl-aerials-like-a-madman tactic. . .Peach's CCing soaks that up pretty hardcore. Your best bet is to try and take advantage of Peach while she's float-cancelling, because you can deal with that a lot better than a solid Peach ground game.

Basically, once Peach starts floating, shffl'd u-airs, u-tilts, and possibly f-tilts/up-angled f-smashes do moderately well in ranging against Peach. In short, it's all that Mario has against her, so proper spacing and usage of those moves will help in terms of shutting down float-cancelled approaches. If float-cancelled aerials start to **** you, fireballs also do a reasonably decent job at slowing her down.

For turnips, just cape them at long to mid range, and grab them anywhere else.

Again, the whole point here is to simply avoid Peach in point-blank combat, because her priority will **** yours every time. Try to play a decent keep-away game, avoid using shffl'd aerial rushdowns, range with u-tilt/shffl'd u-airs, and rely on very short 1-3 hit combos, as Peach will n-air out of any kind of extended combo you try to pull on her.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I suggest playing a strong projectile game, and when you see peach is open, double jump a fair and land it on her. Theoretically, Peach will be holding down on both sticks throughout the entire match, so you will be able to grab her out of it at at most percents. After this, grab her immediately and perform various dthrow combos.

Double jump fast fall fair
L cancel
grab
Dthrow
heres where it gets good
Full hopped dair
Second jumped uair
falling uair
continue from there.
Only a good peach will get out of that, I'm sure the ones at your school club arn't good.

Basically you want to stay away from peachs aerials and dsmash, which she will be doing 24/7. If she throws a turnip at you, and is anywhere near you, dont try to catch it, as it will be followed up by either a fair or a dash attack. Either cape it or jump away.

baby kitten said:
Again, the whole point here is to simply avoid Peach in point-blank combat, because her priority will **** yours every time. Try to play a decent keep-away game, avoid using shffl'd aerial rushdowns, range with u-tilt/shffl'd u-airs, and rely on very short 1-3 hit combos, as Peach will n-air out of any kind of extended combo you try to pull on her.
This is perfectly accurate.

EDIT: Dont use Samus unless you want me to never give you advice again LOL

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
Dont use Samus unless you want me to never give you advice again LOL
Haha got something against Samus? :laugh:

I was wondering whether I could come into her when she's crouch cancelling and setting up for d-smash, and like faking a u-air but instead coming down and f-smashing. Would I get caught in the CCC with an f-smash? I'm under the impression that the fireball on the end of Mario's palm is a disjointed hitbox, so could I try to range Peach like that?

I think I'll be ok...just need to adjust and sharpen up on combos to use against a floatie.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
In general, f-smash outranges Peach's d-smash, but I'm not sure how useful the particular tactic you described would be, since I've never really done it before. You could just short-hop forward into a wavelanded backwards f-smash, and it'd essentially be the same thing. I think.

Eggz, when the heck did I become a baby kitten? o_0

Top Bottom