• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UpB Cancels landing Lag

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Sorry if this is known, but it was recently discovered that there are some aerials you can cancel into specials upon landing (Ganon Fair is one example). While testing to see if any other characters had them, I discovered that Lucario can actually cancel ALL landing lag with UpB, but only UpB. So you can Fair a few inches away from the ground, then press UpB as you land to go into extremespeed instantly, with no landing recovery animation.

I'm not sure if this has too much use. It seems best for UAir, which otherwise has a lot of landing lag. Perhaps this enables some Uair to UpB combos near the ground? I doubt it's that useful for making your moves safer as the move has quite a bit of startup.

It also works with the custom UpBs, but it's useless with UpB2 (funny though) and UpB3 has more startup so it probably won't ever combo.

If this is known, just ignore me. I don't actually play this character, so I just did a brief search to see if anyone had mentioned it.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll mess around with it later. It'll probably be good for a laugh or two, especially if you kill with ExtremeSpeed.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Interesting. Thanks for the info @ Terotrous Terotrous . Force Palm really isn't apart of the "Specials cancel landing lag" club afterall?:c

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well the thing is that Extremespeed is a special case. The way the cancel normally works is that if you're past your IASA frame, you can do a special on your landing frame and it will come out as a grounded special (of course, if your IASA frame occurs multiple frames before touching the ground, an air special is possible, too). However, Lucario's Up B has a special property that instead allows it to cancel all landing recovery, IASA be damned. This does not work in the air, btw, you can't just do Fair and then immediately cancel to UpB. It only works when you touch the ground.

Lucario can still land with grounded force palm in any situation where his IASA occurs before he touches the ground.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Sounds interesting. So...er...how can we use this? I'm drawing a blank.

Maybe to let us pressure with SH aerials and then get away if something goes wrong?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm thinking cross-ups from using U-air or F-air, & ES to the opposite direction you come from.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So I mess around with all the specials using uair, because it the has most landing lag from aerials. ExtremeSpeed seems to be the only move that can cancel it, unless I did something wrong.

I can see it being possible to follow up bair, uair, or fair, but even then, it might not be worth risk missing and getting punished. Still, looks flashy as hell if you nail someone with it.

I guess you can call it an option, if anything.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Well the thing is that Extremespeed is a special case. The way the cancel normally works is that if you're past your IASA frame, you can do a special on your landing frame and it will come out as a grounded special (of course, if your IASA frame occurs multiple frames before touching the ground, an air special is possible, too). However, Lucario's Up B has a special property that instead allows it to cancel all landing recovery, IASA be damned. This does not work in the air, btw, you can't just do Fair and then immediately cancel to UpB. It only works when you touch the ground.

Lucario can still land with grounded force palm in any situation where his IASA occurs before he touches the ground.
Is this basically the same exploit as Greninja's Shadow Sneak on land (cancels all ending lag, even from Dair for example)? I wonder why these moves work like that...

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure grounded dair -> upB is a legit combo at percents where the upB happens to be just the right length and dair has already a bit of hitstun. It's nice too that you can land the upB on your feet most of the time and try to followup with something else after that. Haven't tested other aerials though but I'd imagine uair and bair works too.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Is this basically the same exploit as Greninja's Shadow Sneak on land (cancels all ending lag, even from Dair for example)? I wonder why these moves work like that...
Yeah it seems to be the same concept. It's clearly not a bug, these moves must have a property that lets them do that. I guess Sakurai just wanted these already good characters to have more mixups.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Had to play around with it once I heard about it
It's a true combo with fair/upair..lol you can test it yourself. But you have to read the di correctly of course
I dont think it combos with bair or dair, someone else can mess with that more though if they care enough

it could work with nair too,it hits them on the ground if they dont tech or use any di. so I can see that really putting someone off guard.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I never thought of trying it with other characters when I found it with Ganon, haha.
Nice work there.

Speaking of ES Kills.
I've killed a Bowser in For Glory at stupid low%.
I think he died at like 40 - 45% by: Landing Fair > Jump Fair > DJ Uair > ES Star KO.
I was like really!?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I tested and this still works in 1.04/WiiU version, just fyi.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Greninja's was far more abuse-able than this. If you miss with Lucario you go into freefall.

CE_TheLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
CE_TheLord
3DS FC
2707-1982-7716
I've been messing around a little with it and I must admit, it's interesting... It's kind of tricky to come up with some follow-ups at first but, I figured out some decent combos with this little technique... The thing is that is pretty situational but effective, it works better when your aura is at lower levels.

For example, using ES cancelling (That's how I like to call it xD) can work with something like: Fair+fast falling+Extreme speed, then Fair x2, and then use either Nair or Uair, this is a nice combo I discovered with it (I tested it with D3 and charizard so I must figure out other characters that could be punished by this)

You need some precise timing with hits but the reward is big. I'm looking forward to this new technique. @ Terotrous Terotrous You sir are awesome, because you made one of my mains even more useful :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This does not seem to work in the Wii U version. Can anyone please help confirm I'm not being dumb and doing something wrong?

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
This does not seem to work in the Wii U version. Can anyone please help confirm I'm not being dumb and doing something wrong?
You confirm it still works, another person follows up and confirms, and a few days later you forget how to do it? What?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
My mistake, I am totally being vague in context.

This works in the 3DS version, but I can't get it to work in the Wii U version. Testing with uair in both versions, I can cancel the aerial landing animation consistently on 3DS version but cannot get it to work on the Wii U Version.

My only assumption is that it was not properly removed in the 3DS version, since the Wii U version is the "definitive version" and had a day 1 patch.

Just be aware of the differences.

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
RIP

It didn't seem intended anyways honestly. I think it was just another version of something like item cancelling and greninjas weird cancel thing(shadow sneak?). None of them were intended and all were removed

Last edited:
Top Bottom