• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up tilt vs nair

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I feel kind of stupid asking this but what is the difference between a short hop into an nair and an up tilt with olimar?

GenG

Smash Lord
Uair has a better upward range I think. I use it a lot after a lag-cancelled nairs.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Uair has a better upward range I think. I use it a lot after a lag-cancelled nairs.
True.
With U-Tilt Olimar does three turns.
With N-Air Olimar does a 180 (deceiving animation, moderate damage 12%)

I would prefer to do a U-Smash rather than a U-Air anyways...:)

GenG

Smash Lord
In most situations a usmash is better (power, knockback and range, not only upward but sideways too) but against sidesteppers is better the uair because the multiple hits, plus if the enemy is heavy enough you can pull another one before resorting to usmash, nair or uair.

Redemption

Smash Cadet
I don't know where this Uair came from, so I'll assume you meant Utilt. I normally prefer Nair to Utilt because it is easier to approach spinning in the air than just in place. The priority is ridiculous, so I normally toss myself spinning right into an opponent charging up a move to throw him off guard. And in most situations, Usmash is better than Utilt.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm going as far to say that i think uptilt has more priority that nair, but not as much range. tilts usually have high priority, most more than smashes, but they don't have the range smashes have. take for instance lucario- his awesome tilts with high priority. his smashes have low priority, but high range.

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
i'm going as far to say that i think uptilt has more priority that nair, but not as much range. tilts usually have high priority, most more than smashes, but they don't have the range smashes have. take for instance lucario- his awesome tilts with high priority. his smashes have low priority, but high range.
Yes, I also believe that utilt has more priority than Nair. Also, I have been able to outprioritize moves that with Usmash I couln't, so I sometimes use utilt mostly to cancel short-hopped approaches.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, I also believe that utilt has more priority to utilt. Also, I have been able to outprioritize moves that with Usmash I couln't, so I sometimes use utilt mostly to cancel short-hopped approaches.
agreed. most nairs that i've come across outprioritize upsmash.(shiek's, GAH) It's also pretty easy to punish if you can anticipate it. That's why i don't like the move. I'd much rather SHfair or upair in almost every instance :/

Preciselymb

Smash Rookie
I personally always short hop Nair because of the ability to change directions slightly in midair (plus I stink at tilts, and usually end up doing a Usmash). I do use Utilt every so often, but all in all, I usually just use the Nair.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Utilt is faster and has more priority than n-air.

If your opponent is above you, chances are that your utilt will out prioritize whatever they are doing, and usmash and n-air won't do the trick.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
His smashes are disjointed... they don't need priority.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
His smashes are disjointed... they don't need priority.
Having a disjointed hitbox on a move won't matter in the future as nearly as much as it does now. All it means is that the hitbox isn't limited to the figure of the character.(or pikmen) It's just harder to recognize the hoxbox of a move when it's disjointed. People will become aware of the hitboxes of moves later on.

Every move needs priority. You know one of the only reasons why sonic will be a low tier character?, regardless of what the tier discussion thread thinks? His recovery is great, his edge guarding is average, his speed is the best, his quickness is average, but his priority and approach game is atrocious. (Priority directly affects your approach game whether you want to believe it or not)

Now to my point. Upsmash isn't as reliable as most people make it out to be, and I'll tell you why. It has great knockback, and average damage for a smash attack, but it's priority isn't so hot. fsmashes, jabs, ftilts, grab, fairs and nairs will often times out prioritize and/or out-hurry your upsmash. Through most Olimar users standards, an upsmash can be used as an approach. this is totally ridiculous and it shouldn't ever be used as an approach. It requires you to run in and hope your opponent has a stroke as you run in before you pull off your upsmash. they can easily grab you, tilt you, or hit you with any move they want. An ftilt, uptilt, or can easily be a better option than using an upsmash in many instances.

pockyD

Smash Legend
disjointed beats priority in most cases though, unless they are doing an attack that will not only swat your pikmin away, but also continue on to hit you (in which case you're ether playing vs marth or you really failed in your spacing haha)

i agree, olimar's smashes aren't all people make them out to be, but regardless, they are still **** good

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
(in which case you're ether playing vs marth or you really failed in your spacing haha)
true, marth does go through the pikmen, but so do zelda,(sweet spotted-not too hard to do)Shiek, MK, and Wolf-just to name a few. If spacing with an upsmash perfectly(I said it wasn't as good as people make it out to be) is easy to do against good players, then it should be just as easy for olimar to win EVERY match against ANY character who can't slice through the pikmen. Even though IC, ROB, and Falco can't slice through the pikmen, they have the great priority against olimar, which is their biggest advantage(besides IC-b/c of the difficulty of grabbing them) behind what makes them hard matchups.(this is the only reason behind ROB's success)

Edit: I think his smashes are great, don't get me wrong, I just don't like his upsmash as much as most people do.

Top Bottom