• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Tilt Vs Down Tilt

Ing.

Smash Cadet
as i have played with zss for awhile now i tend to think that her up tilt and down tilt are completely the same. As Up Lilt Launches then into the air as so as Down, I wonder to myself which one would be most efficient and if you wouldnt mind please give a reason

erera265

Smash Cadet
well, d-tilt is faster but is limited to hitting in front of you (although u could d-tilt once and then immediately change the direction of your next d-tilt by moving your control stick to the opposite side...sometimes that comes in handy), but a benefit with u-tilt is that it can be used to punish an opponent that lands behind you (so u technically don't have to be facing him/her).

So if your asking for an opponent thats strictly in front of you its your call. With u-tilt they have to be closer and it will send them flying directly up, whereas d-tilt has a slightly longer range and will usually send most characters upward at a slight angle which i usually try to follow with a SH fair.

Hoped that helped ;)

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
They both suck in comparison to F-smash...

Seriously though they both have their uses, just look at the hitboxes its not that hard to figure out when to use one or the other.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Utilt comes out slightly faster and Dtilt has slightly more range. Dtilt also keeps you at crouching height. I find Utilt is generally more useful for chaining moves, but dtilt is still pretty good.

As a general rule of thumb, I use dtilt whenever I can't use utilt but still want roughly the same effect. And sometimes I try jab jab dtilt rather than finishing the jab combo.

Ing.

Smash Cadet
As a general rule of thumb, I use dtilt whenever I can't use utilt but still want roughly the same effect. And sometimes I try jab jab dtilt rather than finishing the jab combo.
Your Combo (jab jab dtilt) is wat i usually do and is realy useful for chaining moves together. But If use in the order of jab>jab>Utilt then what else am i able to do inorder to chain more then 3 hits and if possible finish with a Dair smash :confused:

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Failing to land an U-tilt will have a larger consequence than failing to land a D-tilt. The ending lag time for U-tilt is much longer than D-tilt.

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
U-tilt has two hitboxes for starters. I prefer it over D-tilt after using an Up+B. D-tilt is my favorite move of ZSS's overall though because it's fast and it gets you lower than the crouch, allowing you to avoid some projectiles without having to crawl. It also has much less cooldown time.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Generally, I like dtilt a lot better than utilt, although utilt is worlds better out of shield.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
dtilt is good to use when your opponent is in front of you, facing you, and especially if you're expecting a shield grab. the grab will often times miss by going over the top of your low body, and you can IASA another dtilt pretty quickly. Along those same lines, I disagree with cake about dtilt being more punishable. you can use another dtilt VERY quickly after the first, and it's not so punishable (not saying that the utilt is anyway but whatever). Utilt is a good out of shield attack to use when your opponent is close to you or right behind you. I find when shielding a mk's tornado, they often like to try stay right on top of you until the very end at which point they juke you out by going behind you. utilt covers you on both sides pretty well, and i would recommend using it from shield as a punishing attack. It also is great for after a dash attack if they are at low ish percents and can be hit by it right after the dash attack.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
I have started to use down tilt more. I started to notice that i was able to follow up down tilts better and i got punished more often while using up tilts. So as of now I'm using it mostly at low percents when i can land it out of a dash attack.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Regarding d-tilt: One thing I've noticed is that if you d-smash your opponent, and then promptly roll to the opposite side and d-tilt, they will smash into the ground as opposed to flying up into the air. This has no real uses as far as I know though.

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you can use it to jab-lock them? That would be sick, downsmash into jablock for a ridiculous combo across FD.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Regarding d-tilt: One thing I've noticed is that if you d-smash your opponent, and then promptly roll to the opposite side and d-tilt, they will smash into the ground as opposed to flying up into the air. This has no real uses as far as I know though.
Duh, tech chasing o.O.

Btw can't Dtilt shield stab?

And maybe that the D tilt into the floor thing has nothing to do with a roll and more so with a certain timing made easy by rolling. Thus, is that's true then it would make a great spike when you catch someone with a Dsmash off the edge. Would certainly be funny as **** to see.

Hagar

Smash Cadet
u tilt is better when they're in your face and you're shielding but a grab is too slow or they're behind you.

D tilt is probably best after the first or second hit of the jab combo, but an ftilt can replace in in most occasions

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Ftilt oriented down, to trip the opponent and Dsmash him after is even better

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
did you guys know that regular f-tilt actually trips better than fd-tilt?

fd-tilt has higher knockback, which knocks them off the ground sooner.

EDIT: F-tilt trip->d-smash is fail. f-tilt trip->d-tilt->f-air is raaape

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Utilt Deals more damage (11% i think) and sends them straight up, perfect for an USmash or UpB.

Dtilt is faster and deals 6-7% damage (I think) Dtilt sends them a little foward so your more likly to use an aerial.

Overall i think Utilt is better since its creats more opputunity to combo.

Eg: Dash Attack > Utilt > UpB > DSmash > Dsmash > UpB. Lol *Shrugs*

But whatever either one is fine

Ing.

Smash Cadet
well i see now.... ill use utilt more since it seeems better argued them dtilt

althou it realy depends on the situation and status or the current time

Adapt

Smash Lord
Utilt Deals more damage (11% i think) and sends them straight up, perfect for an USmash or UpB.

Dtilt is faster and deals 6-7% damage (I think) Dtilt sends them a little foward so your more likly to use an aerial.

Overall i think Utilt is better since its creats more opputunity to combo.

Eg: Dash Attack > Utilt > UpB > DSmash > Dsmash > UpB. Lol *Shrugs*

But whatever either one is fine
utilt has too much lag to reliably combo. You are much better off trying for dtilt>uair/fair but even that is not a true combo.

utilt is better for after you shield or spot-dodge an attack. It also is better or following up a dash attack.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
for me utilt only has two uses.

1. counter move out of shield

2. used after dash if opponents DI slightly above you.

i usually use dtilt as an alternative to jab because jab can get shield grabbed. i mean i do jab cancel to dtilt because the first hit of the jab is only 1 frame so it disorients them and gets them ready for the ditilt . and if they sheild the dtilt i do it repeatedly because they will go out of shield and get hit by the 2nd or third or until they're out of distance of shield grab then i stop.

man i love zss but the third hit of her jab annoys me a lot. if it wasnt blockable im pretty sure she would bump up like 2 or 3 spots alone in the tier list.

Top Bottom