• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Tilt: how do YOU perform it?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I think this is important to cover because it is one of MK's most neglected yet very powerful moves. I myself use this far too little because of the rather trickiness of pulling it off without altering controls.

Personally, I like to have jump on the control stick because I use it for my arial attacks (jumping while simultaneously using c-stick for arial attacks). I find it tough to do things like multiple Dairs, for example, since I prefer to perform the move on the upward portion of the jump, and then jump/attack again etc. I also use the control stick for doing multiple Fairs in quick succession without dropping vertically in between (the timing to do this seems tough without using the control stick to jump). Other things that come to mind are shuttle loop out of shield and multiple Uairs.

I have considered changing the controls just for Utilt (also would make Ftilt easier as well), but I am afraid my arial game would suffer.

I am trying to get better at just tilting the control stick, but its tough to get down well. Upsmash comes out alot on accident, which while it isnt usually disaster, is not exactly optimal in some situations.

So... what do you guys do to get around this?

GriN

Smash Rookie
Yeah, tap jump is ****...

i usually don't use Utilt, seeing as i usually jump into an Uair. If i give my opponent time to come down, he usually airdodges it and/or attempts to fall farther away

:034:

Smash Hero
Tap Jump is *****in'. Up B out of shield, anyone?

Anyway, I tilt the control stick slightly upwards and press A hardly use it. Upsmash is just.. Better. I think uptilt is sort of useless seeing his array of other moves is better.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
up tilt is a killing move incase you guys didn't know, it's more effective than the upsmash

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Method 1: If you're leading into the up-tilt with another attack, rotate the joystick upward during the first attack's animation, then press A when the first attack ended. You can also prepare the "up" direction while landing an air dodge.

Method 2: If you hold up on the joystick and press Up on the C-stick, you get an up-tilt (I think...this works for down-tilts, not sure about up).

Method 3: Move the joystick one quarter of the way to the "up" position and press A.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the increased smash sensitivity in Brawl either. At least Nintendo left workarounds.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
I just got used to lightly pressing the control stick up. It takes some getting used to, but only going half way with it is pretty easy after a while.

U.tilt is great, the hit box is disjointed and goes a ways past his sword. It pretty much beats out ANYTHING they could do above you. It's an awesome move and can kill people at higher percents.

Kiryu

Smash Rookie
I just got used to lightly pressing the control stick up. It takes some getting used to, but only going half way with it is pretty easy after a while.

U.tilt is great, the hit box is disjointed and goes a ways past his sword. It pretty much beats out ANYTHING they could do above you. It's an awesome move and can kill people at higher percents.
Ditto that. I think Tap jump is tremendously useful this time around though. Especially on characters with great Dairs. With tap jump and the c stick and I throw out a Dair almost without leaving the ground, I use it as one of my approaches and to guard the edge with the chance to spike them off the stage cause my short hop is so low.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight is one of the only characters I play where I leave tap jump on. With multiple jumps and lightning quick aerials, I can do almost whatever I want without moving either of my thumbs (right thumb on C-stick, left on analog stick). I don't particularly like tap jump, which is why I leave it off with most characters, but it works so well for me with Meta that it's worth it.

By the way, someone mentioned Up B out of the shield. You can actually do that with tap jump off. The easiest way I've found is to change the L button to jump (or R, if you use L to shield) and when you're in a shield, hit L and Up B at about the same time. You'll jump out of the shield before the Up B, just like if you had tap jump on.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
For anyone who says those move isn't as good as USmash needs to give it another look. This is a killing move and more effective than the Usmash. The USmash is good for damage and combos, but has close to no killing power till 200%. UTilt out of a shield or other ways can be a good alternative to having to use DSmash.

sirkibble2

Smash Rookie
I personally can't stand the tap jump but it helps with my Uair when I want to increase my height easily and keep using the attack swiftly.

I personally don't like the Utilt mainly because of priority and the reach--neither are that great.

Shears

Smash Master
I personally can't stand the tap jump but it helps with my Uair when I want to increase my height easily and keep using the attack swiftly.

I personally don't like the Utilt mainly because of priority and the reach--neither are that great.
have you ever used the utilt. it has way better priority than the usmash and can KO alot better. it also has better reach than the usmash. the usmash cant beat lucarios, ROBs, or toon links dairs, but the utilt can. it also has the reach that usmash doesnt which is useful on levels with platforms. as mentioned earlier it can KO alot better. if it wasnt for the dsmash i would put my c-stick to tilts because the dtilt, ftilt and utilt (or i guess all the tilts) are good. since id rather use the utilt, usmash on c-stick is useless, i dont ever use the c-stick for fsmash because the start up lag is too long so theres really no increase in attack speed by using the c-stick and whenever i use the fsmash its when im camping on the edge or punishing fall special. however since the dsmash is so good and the c-stick guarantees it and theres no point to charge the dsmash (if you are to charge a dsmash just charge fsmash it KOs better); i use the c-stick for dsmashing. so tilts become a difficult attack to do and you must train yourself to lightly push a direction on the joystick because theres really no easy way to do it.

sirkibble2

Smash Rookie
have you ever used the utilt. it has way better priority than the usmash and can KO alot better. it also has better reach than the usmash. the usmash cant beat lucarios, ROBs, or toon links dairs, but the utilt can. it also has the reach that usmash doesnt which is useful on levels with platforms. as mentioned earlier it can KO alot better. if it wasnt for the dsmash i would put my c-stick to tilts because the dtilt, ftilt and utilt (or i guess all the tilts) are good. since id rather use the utilt, usmash on c-stick is useless, i dont ever use the c-stick for fsmash because the start up lag is too long so theres really no increase in attack speed by using the c-stick and whenever i use the fsmash its when im camping on the edge or punishing fall special. however since the dsmash is so good and the c-stick guarantees it and theres no point to charge the dsmash (if you are to charge a dsmash just charge fsmash it KOs better); i use the c-stick for dsmashing. so tilts become a difficult attack to do and you must train yourself to lightly push a direction on the joystick because theres really no easy way to do it.
I know it can KO better than the Usmash but it has that much priority? My timing must be wrong then because it has trouble against Lucario's Dair cause it has a long hit box range. I'll play with it some more.

Shears

Smash Master
I know it can KO better than the Usmash but it has that much priority? My timing must be wrong then because it has trouble against Lucario's Dair cause it has a long hit box range. I'll play with it some more.
yah you should try and throw out the utilt just a little bit before because it hangs out there for a while and it takes a few frames for the hitbox to reach its peak. so if you do it just a little early it will be high enough to hit through lucarios dair without him hitting you.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
If the utilt affects your air combat, forget all about it, its just as easy to jump then dair or upsmash

Top Bottom