• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Tilt: Do you ever use it? Should you?

Is Pits UTilt ever an optimal option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
Sup Guys and Gals,

I've been giving some thought to UTilt lately and what if any situations it might be optimal. I noticed that I rarely use it, but it does seem to have some uses out of shield. It comes out faster than UpSmash and can be used as a safer(?) anti-air against characters like Kirby and Jiggs that approach from awkward angles. I still rarely use it, but was curious if anyone had any input on the Pits only swordless normal.

UTilt comes out one frame before USmash at frame 6 and finishes two frame before at 16. So, only slightly faster and less punishable, but without the amazing disjoint.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Pit

Last edited:

beany

Smash Rookie
I dont ever like to think any move is useless on any character. I agree that USmash is generally the better option but I throw out UTilts every now and then. It has somewhat of a lingering hitbox, so I use it to catch rolls or spotdodges. It also actually hits in him, if not also slightly behind him, so it's decent with stuffing SH aerial approaches. On top of that, it actually hits people who are next to you. Nothing makes me more mad than not connecting the USmash because my opponent is standing in my armpit (pun definitely intended). With Utilt, you can actually hit them. Is it good/better than USmash? Probably not. Should you give it some thought? Depends on your playstyle. I dont like to stale my USmash, especially at kill percents, so I also use UTilt then. I would try it out, and if you find that you dont like it or you see yourself using USmash more, dont worry about trying to use it

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I use it on occasion. Like beany said, it catches them behind you, which up smash doesn't. I sometimes use it to poke under platforms on Battlefield. In 2v2, I use it to catch opponents when they're landing or just in the air, just because it's a little bit quicker than up smash. It just all depends on the situation of when you should use it or not.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've noticed that you can do a quick turn around UTilt by holding the control stick diagonally up in the opposite direction and pressing A. I personally find this to be easier than a turn around jab in a high stress situation and it can catch roll behinds because is lingers like beany beany already mentioned. It also pops them straight up which puts you in a juggle situation. It's niche, but I think I agree that it's good.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well main thing is that the hitboxes on this move are huge. Yeah, you see the pathetic wind effect on it? All hitboxes. I think both later hits connect on characters on platforms? Been out of it lately... If so it's a safer alternative to Usmash, and doesn't occasionally flub up on hit either.

It'd be interesting if it came out faster, though. Pit's lacking in really low startup moves being a swordsman and all, but if they shaved off two frames (6 to 4) then it'd be a good "get off me" option and have a unique role to fill like every other move of his. The real question is if Pit actually needs it...

If we keep complaining about it maybe it'll get buffed like Greninja's Ftilt did, heh.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
It's not too bad an anti-air move if you don't have the time to react with your own aerial, and of course as everyone says for pressuring/attacking from below a soft platform.

I personally use it as a "hey I'm not done air comboing you yet, get back in the air, I just needed to refresh my jumps" move though.

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
No I never use up tilt. I've never really put much thought into it, so I can't say anything on it's potential. However, reading the posts above have made me reconsider that. I'll use it more from now on and see if it merits using IMO.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I do use it sometimes. I've found it pretty useful for anti-airs and after shielding a badly spaced move.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
On lylat it works on all 3 platz but the 3rd hit only goes through the middle one. Miiverse works. I don't have dreamland so I wouldn't know.
I'd theorize that the platforms on Dreamland could work since they're similar to bf, but I'll have to test it at some point.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Yeah, I've noticed that you can do a quick turn around UTilt by holding the control stick diagonally up in the opposite direction and pressing A.
That's what I use Up-tilt for, whenever the opponent cross ups above my shield to get behind me.

Top Bottom