• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-Smash sending opponent sideways?

mazhaoshen

Smash Cadet
I can have a video up by Saturday night (left my wii at my dorm)

Anyway, I was playing against my friend's fox and when he was slightly above me I up-smashed, which sent him to the left at a nearly 90 degree angle. Was this known, was this a sweet-spot we never discovered or was this just extraordinary DI?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Considering theres a perdy topic about moves such as up smash in current discussion right now...

Up smash at low percentages sends people off in weird directions. It's kind of like TOON LINK's downsmash.

It's known, it only happens at low percentages, yes DI would affect it.

Also 90 degrees is directly up...

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
There are different hit boxes I think, and one of them is at the side. This hitbox sends them into the tip, which then sends them upwards. This is also what makes the up-smash stage spike work. However, it is possible for them to DI and not get hit into the tip, which results in them going flying at a nice sideways angle. It can also send them at a sidewise angle if there at extremely low percentages, because the knockback of the tip isn't "strong" enough to over come the power of the tip. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's an easy concept.

Top Bottom