• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UP-B underrated?

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
I've been told to only use the up special for recovery, since it sucks as a damage attack.

However, I've noticed that, if you pay attention to the angle to avoid bouncing against the floor or getting too high, it's a decent falcon kick, specially if you manage to land the last strike.

Many times I made it safely to the middle of the screen by dashing through all the people who were edgeguarding, and some times, when I feel like it, I use it to rack damage and works quite nicely (always parallel to the ground).

So, in conclusion, my opinion is that Final Kick is a bit underrated, it doesn't suck as much when used properly.

I'm pretty new to the game, and altough I've been maining wolf for a while, my concept on many of his techniques and attacks may probably be plain wrong, so please, correct me if you don't agree and please say why.

Thanks in advance.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The main issue I find with up B is that even though its a lot faster than fox and falco's up B, its still not fast enough for a usable attack on the ground, only for hitting someone while recovering. If you use it too close to the opponent, you'll definitely hit them but they usually end up getting out of the up B before the final kick, and you are left open which makes close range usage useless. Middle/far range allows you to connect with the final kick more frequently, but from there its fairly easy to see coming, and on the ground it'll often get shielded or sidestepped, and at that distance you might as well just blaster. It might have a few situations where it would be somewhat usable (but far from your best option), so attempting to hit someone with it outside of recovering is generally a bad idea.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Its startup lag is its problem. If it came out as fast as falcon kick, you could use it that way, but it's too easy to see it coming, spot dodge it, and punish. And if your opponent messed up badly enough that you have a guaranteed hit on them, in that same amount of time you could hit them with a more damaging attack with better setup possibilities.

At best it is sometimes useful to surprise an opponent who is way up in the air, in a position where if you whiff, they're not likely to be able to punish you because they're too busy recovering or trying to get away from you. In general though it's just not a good offensive move. Wolf has a lot of terrific offensive moves though so this isn't a big problem.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It's a very nice "surprise" move, when there's a fair distance between you and the opponent, and you suddenly Fire Wolf... they're going to be surprised, however, the element of surprise doesn't last very long. It IS rather predictable. Especially against the CPU Wolfs that use it, if you use it more than three times a match, people will start predicting and punishing. However, if you use it sparingly, people won't expect it.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
This thread in a nutshell: Up B is not underrated, its properly rated, but it does have its use. I use it offensively at most once a round, often less.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I rarely use upb ever. It's not really useful as a recovery unless you're directly under the stage. forwardb is better in almost every situation. Offensively its too easily punishable and wolf has better options.

Top Bottom