• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up+B to throw someone downwards off stage?

PurpleJank

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm not a really competitive player but I have been maining ZSS for a couple months, and I was wondering about a particular move Ive only pulled off a few times by luck.

Basically I had someone above me and slightly further over the edge, and while standing on the very edge I was able to up+b to grab them with the whip and throw them downwards off stage without hope of recovery.

I have only succeeded with this once or twice, because often they just end up landing on stage because they weren't far enough out. Has anyone else had luck with this/know how to pull this off more consistently?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's a pretty cool thing, although there aren't many guaranteed set-ups for it. You have to be very aware of your opponent's DI and other options.

IIRC, there's actually a spike hitbox on the move, and a meteor hitbox, so there's also a bit of positioning skill you have to employ in order to get the hitbox you want.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
whoa, no way. I always thought it was just a meteor, where exactly is the spike?

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I use it a lot for opponents who try to reach the stage from above.
If they are too above, try to use UpB at the begining of your jump, If you time it correctly you will get a little boost on each jump reaching further.
I've killed lots of times with it, just not reliable cause its not that easy to land, but always try it, better than just waiting for the opponent to land.

If they go mid air range, just Bair/Fair them, going for UpB on that situation is risky and they will probably just attack you.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
whoa, no way. I always thought it was just a meteor, where exactly is the spike?
I don't perfectly recall. Keep in mind, I was told this back when ZSS was still in pre-demo form, so it may have been changed entirely.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I don't perfectly recall. Keep in mind, I was told this back when ZSS was still in pre-demo form, so it may have been changed entirely.
Shadic has only ever called it a meteor, so maybe they took it out.

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Mmmm the Balgrog is strong in these ones. Yeah Zss Up+b has got to be my favorite move of hers simply because it feels great getting a meteor kill with it.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
You can do some fancy stuff with b-reversal to make it a little less risky. Just SH up b off the ledge and b-reversal into the stage, and you'll discover that the move actually sweetspots from typical ledge grabbing range, cancelling the move early but still after the important hitboxes have come out. It's by no means amazing, but it turns a risky shenanigan into a viable surprise-kill option.

Top Bottom