• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up B or Side B for Recovery?

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
I said I would main PAC-MAN ever since his reveal and surprising, I'm so good with PAC-MAN he is going to be my main, I'm pretty decent with him and won more For Glory matches with him than I thought, but I have a question (hopefully no one's made a thread like this before)

Which is the better Recovery? Up B or Side B?

I found it sweet to use Side B instead of Up B for recovery, because it could hit your opponents easier but however if you have the worst aim ever (for example: me sometimes) you'll either fail and not touch the cliff, which will cause Pac-Man (if you hit the cliff instead) Turn helpless and fall to his death.

Let me tell you that's quite embarrassing... especially during Sudden Death. xD

And yeah, his normal Up B recovery is good, but sometimes it just doesn't aim perfectly for me and I'm usually above my Opponents where they can Up Smash me.

So to make this thread quicker, Which do you think is better?

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
I primarily use up-B as it's more reliable way to grab the edge of the stage, from which you have several options. My main issue with side B is if the pellet is knocked away. As such I only use side-B on omega stages with walls to recover up or if I get knocked back really far and I think the extra length pass the pellet line is enough to take the opponent by surprise (I.E. It appears I am only aiming far enough to grab the ledge but I use the surprise extra distance to launch an attack). Other wise the up-B feels safer. There is less chance of missing, dinking of the side of the stage, and crying of embarrassment.

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
Both ~!

If you're horizontally too far away, then it'll be the best best to side-B first, since it doesn't make you go into free fall; then, if you still aren't on the ledge, Trampoline should get you there.

I used to have this problem where I would aim for the edge, but I would keep hitting the side of the stage, then I'd really be screwed; to avoid this, try vaguely aiming for the stage until you're almost parallel, then make a sharp turn with the directional pad up. It'll look like Pac-Man is gliding along the side of the stage; it's kinda cute hehe u w u

However, there will be times where Power Pellet will be too slow, and you'd fall to your doom if you used it; if you need recovery now, then it would be appropriate to use Trampoline instead.

Meiwaku

Smash Rookie
I use Side-B mostly, because it doesn't leave me in helpless. The easiest way is to recover low, and aim in two vectors; do your side component first, then go directly vertical. This is easiest on stages with walls. Most opponents won't challenge it and you will sweetspot the ledge.

If they do challenge, you'll need to mix up. If you're using Side-B to recover high, I usually just use the move offensively. Try to mix it up- you can either aim directly at the opponent, or curve around so Pac ends the move spiking vertically into the stage. If they shield, oh well, you would have gotten punished anyway, but if not, it's a great KO move.

When you need to use trampoline to recover, there's still plenty of mix-ups- just because you can get there on the first jump doesn't mean you have to. Try to sweetspot if possible, but if the opponent is pretty aggressive, you can wait until the final bounce and recover deeper on to the stage.

Pac-Man's recovery is probably the most versatile in the game and can be potent offensively, so it's really important!

dirtytacos89

Smash Rookie
For me I usually use up b. I just get really low on the side of the stage because that up b on the third bounce can take you pretty damn high. With the side b you can sweet spot it so it can be an great recovery as well. I suppose it's situational, but personally I'm more of an up b guy B]

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Came here after side-B'ing into the wall to my death several times. Man, that's embarrassing. I'll try recovering low more

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
My only problem with a low up-b is the fact that I am dumb and miss my trampoline about 20% of the time.

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Use side b to get out of blast zone but only use Up B if u cant use side b again
if u get hit use side b again to avoid getting gimped

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
also on stages like FD try and use the trampoline closer to the part where u can use the curve on the stage in order to get a safer recovery from slightly underneath FD so its harder to gimp Pac

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Side-B is normally pretty good. But certain characters (Villager's forward smash) can punish the "side-b up the wall" approach. So learn to approach the edge from all sorts of angles.

Don't "wall climb" as a clutch. Actually learn to aim for the edge without bouncing to your doom.

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Side B is what I normally use first. I like to aim for the edge rather then up wall recovery if I can help it. It takes some practice to not kill yourself, but once you get the hang of it, it is really easy to gimp people off stage and not be afraid to double jump to do it.

Brent Bruthaa

Smash Cadet
depends on your position when you get knocked off. but forward B is generally better followed by an Up B

Top Bottom