• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up B Edgeguard

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Ok after reading Mattdotzeb's thread on using the Up B as an effect damage technique with DK it got me wondering why nobody uses it as an edge guard. I've found it to work great againt Ganon, Falcon, Link, Samus, Mario, Luigi, G&W, and others.

What you do is as ur holding the ledge to let go of the ledge with either down or back, (usually down when they're below you or back when the are mid range with you) Up B and then grab the ledge with a ledge cancel. I beleve he gets the first invisible frame in the air as he does on the ground. I've found it to work most effectively on Falcon, Ganon, and Link, but can work just as good on other characters but the timing is alittle harder.

I'll post a vid of me using it when I get the chance to upload them. If someone posted something like this before then i'm sorry, it's just that I ever see DK's use this as an effective edge guard technique.

Also if no one has came up with a name for it, I copyright it as "Shoguard" :chuckle:

Nedech

Smash Apprentice
I've seen alot of DK players do this, and i've been doing it myself for a good chunk of time. But i'd rather edgeguard normally with Bair or edgehogging vs C. Falcon, since his recovery is **** - Same goes for Ganon.

This works wonders for Fox/Falco, though. Especially if they decide to use B-up from below.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'm not sure I've tried it against Falcon or Granon--I prefer to edgehog or back air. But I use it all the time against Marth.
Be sure to tech if he hits you!

El HP

Smash Ace
Yeah up b edgeguard is very useful I have managed to kill falcos at very low percentages it works great on fox but not as good, I prefer the up b on ganon because if you b air him he just DI and takes a lot more effort to kill him.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Yea I usually BAir also but usually when they're below me if I try to let go of ledge and BAir I can't get back up (Due to DK's horrible vertical recovery) so I use it then. Usually a shoguard can set up for the BAir edgeguard.

Well since no one came up with a name for it, I'd like to call it Shoguarding. Even if it's been used it still would be sexy to have a title to it (kind of like wobbles did with wobbling with the IC's).

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Haha... no. If it worked like that, we would have tons of silly names like LinkNoobSlide and FalcoMaster88Lasering. Nice try though.
Anyway, people don't name things after themselves. Wobbles didn't name wobbling.

Actually (not that I play all that much DK anymore), when Ganon's below me and back air isn't appropriate I usually let him get up, then ledge-hop up air him and follow with a headbanger. I bet the up b would work better...

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Lol, yea well I tried

I bet if I became a legend like CJ or something I could name it Shoguarding. ;) But that means I would have to become a DK legend. :o Is it possible? Only time will tell I guess lol.

Also I'll try to put togather a video with a series of where it's useful.

Top Bottom