• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up air combos

Exxalium

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I've been messing with doing up throw into up air or down throw into up air and they both seem effective. Up air seems easier to land but down throw seems to have better kill potential. Opinions?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Downthrow > Uair works on everyone around 45% and up.
Downthrow > Uair > Knee works around 55-60% and up.

Upthrow has a high knockback, so I never use it for combos, just when I'm trying to get a stylish kill when in Rage.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Downthrow > Uair works on everyone around 45% and up.
Downthrow > Uair > Knee works around 55-60% and up.

Upthrow has a high knockback, so I never use it for combos, just when I'm trying to get a stylish kill when in Rage.
I've actually started incorporating up throw into my game more and more as I'm playing. Falcon's actually quite good at keeping people in the air, and so at high percents, if you failed to kill earlier, it's usually better to force them way up high rather than do a down throw. Lots of people will air dodge into the ground, you don't even have to chase them in the air.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Personally, I see it being useful in the opposite sense. At higher percentages, Dthrow is almost always better. Falcon can buffer a dash and Uair someone regardless of how someone DIs at higher percentages.

However, at lower percentages - because Falcon's Uthrow has a really high knockback from 0%, you can use it to set up for low-percentage Uair juggling. After 50% though, Dthrow is more reliable for doing real combos.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Both of you are correct, honestly. They're just different uses to the same throw. It's undoubtedly the less used throw in the Captain's arsenal (for me) but it has its uses :)

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Both of you are correct, honestly. They're just different uses to the same throw. It's undoubtedly the less used throw in the Captain's arsenal (for me) but it has its uses :)
For sure. His fthrow and uthrow are just weird. They don't kill well enough like bthrow and they dont have the combo potential like dthrow does. I'm not really sure what was intended in theIr use to be honest.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
F-throw is great when inputted right after a dash, though. It mantains the cap's momentum, so you can use it for combos (at lower percents, obviously).

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
I've actually started incorporating up throw into my game more and more as I'm playing. Falcon's actually quite good at keeping people in the air, and so at high percents, if you failed to kill earlier, it's usually better to force them way up high rather than do a down throw. Lots of people will air dodge into the ground, you don't even have to chase them in the air.
That, and if you read their di you can sort of chain Upthrows at lower percents.

Exxalium

Smash Rookie
I've always found Captain Falcon to be really strong at juggling tbh, it seems to be what he does best.

Marcus Gray

Smash Rookie
Interesting :estatic:

Igneel

Smash Rookie
You can do a Combo (not a true combo) If you did a U-air to Fair, But sometimes I get the hit of the fair very easy than other times, in some % can we do a true combo with U-air to fair?

Last edited:
Top Bottom