• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Until I die"

Studstill

Smash Ace
"This game is my favorite competitive video game. I will play this game without shame until I die or my hands can no longer hold a controller. I want to help the community grow with people of all ages; I am completely dismayed when I hear people talking about retiring from something they love because they are "too old." I am going to be 30 years old at the next APEX and I have a career and life that require too much of my time to practice the game often, but I will always enjoy it now and then, and I will always strive to improve. I play this game because I love the way it challenges my mind, and I feel a connection to the other people that love this game. This isn't a contact sport where you risk injury to play, it is a game we can love and respect and play for whatever reasons we want to for the rest of our lives. I dream of a world like Tacna, where everyone plays this game because I feel it is a gaming work of art far beyond anything else I have ever played, including any FPSs, fighting games, or other smash games. Graphics mean nothing. The gameplay just feels right, and when two people are battling feels like a tight dance. It has a solidly high learning curve, which can distinguish the good from the bad, but not crazy enough that a new player can't put some work in and become amazing. It's as balanced as something with this much variety has ever been, and the options in a situation vary enough to allow for self expression, yet are limited enough to allow for lockdown given the opponent has figured out how to do so."

- Jimmy Joe

" I pledge to do whatever it takes to immortalize the life of Smash. I will take upon myself whatever it is that needs to be done to keep alive the game that I love."

- Jacob (my real name of course)

Commited: @ S Studstill , @ Shears Shears , @ M McGodd , @SuPeRbOoM , @ banze banze , @ BananaBolts BananaBolts , @KnitePhox , @stylisland, @YBOMBB

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
We need 10-20 people to make up the initial core of the upcoming Smash 64 Online:
We`re talking new, ideally placed, Smash dedicated servers. We`re talking 9 paid tournaments a month, and at least two full trips to Apex and Zenith among the prizes. One of the first things I did was read, read, read SB, in an attempt to catch up. Almost countless attempts at something like this have come and gone, and one could easily say those were failures. Yet I don`t think that Clubba or Nintendude or MATTS or anyone else failed: I think the community failed them.
I never wanted to do this alone and doubt they did, not out of laziness or fear, but simply because none of this is mine, it`s ours. Shears, myself, Steve, and the online community at large came together last summer to really make an incredible debut of the rankings system, 700 games in under a month!
The hunger is there. The time is now, or February 2015 to be more accurate.
This is not a request for money, or time, or even any actual work. This is not a request for you to lend your name and the weight it carries to 'our' project.
This is a request for 10-20 people to stand up and shout (or sit and type, but ya know, no one`s watching, get crazy)
I`m going to play "until I die."
I will do what it takes to make Smash 64 better!

Thanks for reading, and I assure you 10-15 is not an arbitrary number, it`s literally how few people it would take. Be well, and may the Great Kirby watch over you, blessed be his name.

Edit: The few followers of Blue Hat Pikachu would also offer their most humble blessing, as well.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I will never worship your pagan god great kirby. Instead bow before the eternal strength of blue hat pikachu. But yeah I'll play until I die, or at least do what I can to help make smash 64 better. (I may have crippling arthritis and be unable to hold a controller before I die)

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i don't think i understand the purpose of this thread at all but i will play for as long there's someone to play with. Even if there isn't i might still enjoy practice mode

Studstill

Smash Ace
While that sentiment is, of course, totally understood and appreciated, perhaps I could be more clear. Some details have been released on Skype, but this is merely a moment seized on or inspired by Jimmy Joe`s eloquence.
Any possible plans involve at least 10-20 people to form the initial core. We really want this to succeed this time and have about 6 people on board in one capacity or another. In lieu of posting specific things that need to get done, again, this isn`t a blunt request for help, this thread is to hopefully inspire and identify the true leaders of this community, the humble smashers willing to say:
I will do what it takes, now is the time. Not next semester, not maybe if it works I`ll join, or I`ll do whatever everyone else is doing:

Seize the day. We have the plan, we have the infrastructure, all that is needed is a small group of Smashers to form the initial core.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
so what you're saying is i have to commit to something before you will reveal what that something is? i don't understand the purpose of the "10-20 core players".

what

Studstill

Smash Ace
so what you're saying is i have to commit to something before you will reveal what that something is? i don't understand the purpose of the "10-20 core players".

what
Exactly. This is to avoid the cycle of failure. Essentially this is a notice that things are indeed happening, and you should get involved if that`s what you`re into. I need to identify who is on board and willing: This will involve buying servers and paying (already) people to do some other Kaillera stuff, so there is money (mine and Shears) set to go out, and we`d like to know who`s willing to play, to work, to run, to host, to just chillax, advise, create. Who is willing to make this happen. We are trying to provide the best possible opportunity for success of the long overdue process of pulling Smash 64 into the modern era, improving the experience for veterans and generating new players.

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
i think it starts on console
buy carts, CRTs, and 64s and go to your local melee tournies and set it up. challenge the melee greats to some 64 matches. hopefully you beat them and their competitive spirit will make them wanna master this beautiful game too. then the young melee punks will follow suit, too. because everyone loves nostalgia and a challenge. soon enough you're hosting local 64 tournies on the side every month and small communities grow. online presence is a waste of time tbh
my plan atleast. just have to get good first

tristan

Shears

Smash Master
i think it starts on console
buy carts, CRTs, and 64s and go to your local melee tournies and set it up. challenge the melee greats to some 64 matches. hopefully you beat them and their competitive spirit will make them wanna master this beautiful game too. then the young melee punks will follow suit, too. because everyone loves nostalgia and a challenge. soon enough you're hosting local 64 tournies on the side every month and small communities grow. online presence is a waste of time tbh
my plan atleast. just have to get good first

tristan
This is what I did and now we have:

http://smashboards.com/threads/s-x-64-weeklies-in-baltimore-md-10-8-14.371593/

I recommend anyone who wants to get local tournies going to do exactly what T Brett has said, or talk to a local bar about bringing in customers on a slow week night and suggest having a game night with ssb64 where venue fee is a drink or something so the bar makes money. https://www.facebook.com/warfarewednesday after our weekly tournaments at xanadu a few of us go here and do exactly that. Its fun, its easy to set up, and if you present it appropriately those in charge at the venue will happily go along with it. Also make sure you have at least 6 people (melee competitors, friends, etc.) that you can get as regulars before jumping into this because you want to be sustainable and any less than 6 and others could feel like its a waste of time.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
A MESSAGE FROM CORN ON THE COBR:

may he rest in peace<333333333333

i online presence is a waste of time tbh

if online presence is or has ever been a "waste of time," then you would not have nearly the amount of good players there are today. that's just a fact. if it weren't for online, there would be drastically fewer players than there are right now, and they wouldn't be nearly as skilled.

now, if you mean for future growth of 64 - i'm gonna disagree with that, as well. online presence is essential to growth, because, like i've said myriad times, it opens up the doors to play with people you otherwise never would, or would only play once a year for a little while.

i don't have to drive 3 hours to play Fireblaster, 24 hours to play Sheer, 14 hours to play Combito, 17 to play Sedda, 4 to play Star King, and 11 to play Boomfan. I can sit home at play with the nuisance of a few frames - which i will gladly take if it means i can get incredibly tough and diverse competition.

fact of the matter is, console scenes and events RARELY offer that kind of diversity. the upcoming COA is an example - this sort of thing is very rare to have. even for thriving scenes right now - toronto has players, but mostly the same ones. SoCal is in the same boat - kabal took the trip out there for the first time, and I was there back in october; otherwise, there really isn't a large pool of players to pick from.

online opens up the doors for many people - if it didn't exist, people might not know about scenes near them, or major events that are a few hours away, they wouldn't find carpools, they wouldn't have any of that.

converting goofy melee players is not reliable at all, considering we've tried it at many events. instead, it's much more prudent to have readily accessible avenues online that would bring more players to real events. think about how hype it was to have so many online warriors come to apex - and how we're still patiently waiting for such players like Frog and Bane to make appearances.

i'm not saying you shouldn't do what you can to start a console scene and stuff. i'm saying, don't say stupid **** like "online presence is a waste of time" when you clearly haven't considered anything regarding it.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
But yeah I'll play until I die, or at least do what I can to help make smash 64 better. (I may have crippling arthritis and be unable to hold a controller before I die)
Assuming that you also have arthritis in your feet and you can't play with those either, surely you'll be able to play using a device that reads your brain waves to control your character, however, you'll inevitably evolve into the great blue-hat pikachu and the brain thing will be irrelevant.

The Star King

Smash Hero
This feels like a cult lol

online presence is a waste of time tbh
This is a crazy thing to say. I, and many others, would've never played this game competitively if it weren't for online.

In fact I honestly believe most of this community has mostly got into the competitive scene without online and this game would be way smaller without it. It's how most of the good NA players got good.

I'm glad Kero is bright enough to understand the importance of online even though he doesn't really play there himself.

Last edited:

McGodd

Smash Apprentice
A MESSAGE FROM CORN ON THE COBR:

may he rest in peace<333333333333

if online presence is or has ever been a "waste of time," then you would not have nearly the amount of good players there are today. that's just a fact. if it weren't for online, there would be drastically fewer players than there are right now, and they wouldn't be nearly as skilled.

now, if you mean for future growth of 64 - i'm gonna disagree with that, as well. online presence is essential to growth, because, like i've said myriad times, it opens up the doors to play with people you otherwise never would, or would only play once a year for a little while.

i don't have to drive 3 hours to play Fireblaster, 24 hours to play Sheer, 14 hours to play Combito, 17 to play Sedda, 4 to play Star King, and 11 to play Boomfan. I can sit home at play with the nuisance of a few frames - which i will gladly take if it means i can get incredibly tough and diverse competition.

fact of the matter is, console scenes and events RARELY offer that kind of diversity. the upcoming COA is an example - this sort of thing is very rare to have. even for thriving scenes right now - toronto has players, but mostly the same ones. SoCal is in the same boat - kabal took the trip out there for the first time, and I was there back in october; otherwise, there really isn't a large pool of players to pick from.

online opens up the doors for many people - if it didn't exist, people might not know about scenes near them, or major events that are a few hours away, they wouldn't find carpools, they wouldn't have any of that.

converting goofy melee players is not reliable at all, considering we've tried it at many events. instead, it's much more prudent to have readily accessible avenues online that would bring more players to real events. think about how hype it was to have so many online warriors come to apex - and how we're still patiently waiting for such players like Frog and Bane to make appearances.

i'm not saying you shouldn't do what you can to start a console scene and stuff. i'm saying, don't say stupid **** like "online presence is a waste of time" when you clearly haven't considered anything regarding it.
I'd like to note that the melee scene grew and thrived without an online presence, and they only recently had access to consistent net play. Growth can happen without online play it just takes passion from a community. There are a lot of groups of players that have formed and gotten very good without online play. I wouldn't say its a waste of time but I would say it isn't absolutely required for a community to grow.

We need 10-20 people to make up the initial core of the upcoming Smash 64 Online:
We`re talking new, ideally placed, Smash dedicated servers. We`re talking 9 paid tournaments a month, and at least two full trips to Apex and Zenith among the prizes. One of the first things I did was read, read, read SB, in an attempt to catch up. Almost countless attempts at something like this have come and gone, and one could easily say those were failures. Yet I don`t think that Clubba or Nintendude or MATTS or anyone else failed: I think the community failed them.
I never wanted to do this alone and doubt they did, not out of laziness or fear, but simply because none of this is mine, it`s ours. Shears, myself, Steve, and the online community at large came together last summer to really make an incredible debut of the rankings system, 700 games in under a month!
The hunger is there. The time is now, or February 2015 to be more accurate.
This is not a request for money, or time, or even any actual work. This is not a request for you to lend your name and the weight it carries to 'our' project.
This is a request for 10-20 people to stand up and shout (or sit and type, but ya know, no one`s watching, get crazy)
I`m going to play "until I die."
I will do what it takes to make Smash 64 better!

Thanks for reading, and I assure you 10-15 is not an arbitrary number, it`s literally how few people it would take. Be well, and may the Great Kirby watch over you, blessed be his name.

Edit: The few followers of Blue Hat Pikachu would also offer their most humble blessing, as well.

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for but I'm probably the only person in the PNW down to organize things up here for 64. Sooo... I'm down?

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
cobr
referring to studstill's comment on investing real time and money on better servers etc
... This will involve buying servers and paying (already) people to do some other Kaillera stuff, so there is money (mine and Shears) set to go out, and we`d like to know who`s willing to play, to work, to run, to host, to just chillax, advise, create...
I just don't think the current online presence requires such a bold growth like that. granted, I don't completely know what studstill is aiming to do from his computer chair, but I just feel like it won't match up to anything like shears has already achieved in baltimore.

I know netplay gives you access to opponents around the continent, that's awesome. and you're right, that is essential with such a small community that you have. and re: starking and bane and killer etc, of course you will have players that learn online. that's cool too.

So let me retract that previous statement of mine for you. a successful community warrants an online presence.

my only real point was that you'll make greater strides getting off the computer chair and getting on console next to real players that already have an interest in fighting games. For example, I didn't find you guys from kaillera or youtube or google or you name it. my neighbor told me like 6 years ago about competitive smash while ****ing me up in isai's tent. and just last year my old university buddies got on the melee train with everyone else and sure enough I blew the dust out of my ssb cartridge. that's how I came to be here trying to get better, and that's probably why I feel the way I do about community growth.

now
**** you play some smash
lets all get along

Studstill

Smash Ace
Ummm, T Brett, I think you misunderstand. I`ve played console smash exclusively up until May.
The online scene can be better. This is not a thread to discuss how it can be better, or how to meld console and online:
This is a thread to see who`s willing to help the game and who wants to just play.

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
maybe I do then
just wanted to give my input and ideas on growing the community, seems like thats what this thread was aimed for
didnt plan on arguments starting

good luck

Studstill

Smash Ace
Dude what is happening, lol. This is sunshine and rainbows on this thread. Who was even arguing? Lol. SB, man, just lol.

Man, input is always appreciated, it`s your game. I`m just getting the word out that stuff is happening, in February, and who wants to be involved.

Morin0

Smash Lord
i will probably play this game as long as i have fingers and eyes. maybe afterwards too.
In the future when we are able to control things with just our mind, that is when SSB will reach the new meta. No tech skill barrier – pure mental outplaying. :colorful:

I only skimmed the OP and the second post, but there is no point in having a bunch of servers if there are not enough players online to fill them all. What you need to start with is in console. Get new players to join the scene. Only then will we have actual people to populate these servers. See: Netherrealm server that is always empty despite being in the West Coast. There's not enough West Coast players who want to play online. Come to think of it, what we really need is more players.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Got it. So who wants to fix online with me, as the first step to organizing console and generating new players!

banze

Smash Journeyman
Man , I literally Love this dude - Jimmy Joe !

I fell exactly the same about everything. I will be playing this game and supporting this game forever!
I'm doing it right now for an entire country. Ask anybody here!

I dont block myself from working/studying/ living because of the game, But I love all my smash friends and the get together's!

If you guys need any help from a fellow Brazilian, count me in! You already now I do anything for Smash ! =]

Studstill

Smash Ace
That. That is exactly the type of response I was looking to get. Thanks banze, for feeling that way and THANKS for keeping Brazil alive!

BananaBolts

Starting this week, every Monday will be a day to play Project M at school. A guy in my computer science class and I are introducing competitive smash to more people. Hopefully we will gather enough people to set up multiple rigs and have smash time more often. When I see the time to strike, I'm bringing my n64 to the joint. I'm going to start a Smash 64 revolution at school and recruit some more followers.
This feels like a cult lol
In a way, yes. lol

BananaBolts

"Any man worth his salt will stick up for what he believes right, but it takes a slightly better man to acknowledge instantly and without reservation that he is in error." -Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson might have had a hot temper but he's a quotable guy at times. I've taken this to heart in my own life and it feels good when I admit that I'm wrong. I'm a bit contentious in person and I tend to question a lot of things that should be left alone. On forums, however, I try to keep my mouth shut and I think long and hard before I type. I suppose that it's the engineer inside of me that wants to know if everything I hear is 100% accurate and my own knowledge isn't flawed.

I'll try to spare you the lengthy details so here's the meat of it: I'm 19 years old and I'm a sophomore in college. I've been in and out of depression for about 6 months now. I've suffered some pretty tough mental breakdowns and sickness-inducing stress. I have a long-distant relationship, monetary issues, loads of schoolwork, and a shaky home life. Stripped away from her sociopath father (by court order), my girlfriend lives a tough life and she's only a senior in high school. She lives 3 and a half hours away from me and we occasionally lose contact for a few days at a time. Tonight was the first time we had gotten to talk on the phone in about 2 and a half weeks. I hate it when people look at us and think we're too young to get married and that we need to get to know each other better. We've been dating for 2 and a half years and experienced so much stuff together and survived all of the crap that's been thrown at us. My parents don't support us living together without being married (I was raised in a Christian home) and we can't get married without enough financial stability. I can't let my girlfriend stay in my hometown while I'm away at college because her father still lives around here. And yes, he's crazy enough to come kidnap her or physically harm my family(they would be housing her if she stays in my hometown). So after this school year, we plan on getting married during the summer even though we don't have the money for a ceremony. We'll probably have to get married at a court house. We don't care if people disprove of our decision.

All of that being said, Smash Bros has been my home away from home for about a year now. Although my future may look bleak at times, I know I'll always be playing Smash Bros no matter the situation. My passion for my girlfriend coupled with my passion for the game keeps my spirit fueled each day. Without the two, I would be lost in my ever wandering mind, alone and hopeless. Anyways, I just thought I'd share a bit of my personal life and history. It may not be necessary or even appropriate but some of you may appreciate my honesty.

I, Jacob (my real name of course), pledge to do whatever it takes to immortalize the life of Smash. I will take upon myself whatever it is that needs to be done to keep alive the game that I love. "Until I die" is concisely beautiful, Studstill.

If you didn't read what I wrote or merely skimmed through it, then I understand. I don't always feel like reading walls of text either. Thanks for at least reading the last line of text. May the twelve divine ones watch over your stocks.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
For what it's worth, we're trying to generate a 64 scene here in Austin. I know squat about TOing but everyone has been very supportive.

Most of my closest friendships started via Smash--from adolescence through college. I dropped it after graduating but the documentary plus the excitement of moving to a new city spurred me to revisit the game. Honestly I was surprised there wasn't already at least a small regularly organized tourney/weekly/anything. I found an amazing facebook group but saw only spontaneous meetups. A few CRTs, controllers, and video capture cards later, there's something resembling a weekly. A seed, if you will. Here's the Winners Final from our latest effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2HqDN9u3k

Shears

Smash Master
For what it's worth, we're trying to generate a 64 scene here in Austin. I know squat about TOing but everyone has been very supportive.

Most of my closest friendships started via Smash--from adolescence through college. I dropped it after graduating but the documentary plus the excitement of moving to a new city spurred me to revisit the game. Honestly I was surprised there wasn't already at least a small regularly organized tourney/weekly/anything. I found an amazing facebook group but saw only spontaneous meetups. A few CRTs, controllers, and video capture cards later, there's something resembling a weekly. A seed, if you will. Here's the Winners Final from our latest effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2HqDN9u3k
Try to stream it, that would really help out. If you need to manage your seeds check out http://elorankings.com. Its what I use to manage the seeds for my weeklies in Baltimore.

Top Bottom