• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unreliable Double Jump

Mike Carr

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I have encountered an issue with double jumping, and I would like to hear others opinion on it. Maybe some of you have had a similar experience, or can recreate the problem.

Last night I was practicing going off stage with Sheik on battle field. I was sprinting at the ledge, jumping, falling down to the bottom left, side air, jump back, return with special. I found that I would randomly not have my second jump, and I would fall to my death. I made sure to eliminate any possibilities of jump canceling, and the issue remained the same. I could not consistently perform the above routine without dying every once in a while.

So here is what I believe is the issue. If you run at a ledge, and jump "too late" it will treat your jump as if you ran off the ledge, and then jumped (this eats both jumps). Here's the thing, you cannot tell that you have done this. It looks like a normal jump off of the stage, and you do not find out that you have lost your jump until you're in an unrecoverable position.

It is also worth mentioning that if you jump a bit early, this will never happen.

Thoughts?

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Well I have noticed quite a few times I've also "forgotten" I had already used my second jump when trying to get back on the stage and I end up using my up special too late and losing a stock as a result. So yeah I think this is probably why.

mashedsmash

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-4446-5550
This doesn't happen to me very frequently, but when it does, it's super frustrating. Especially on 1v1

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I've had a few double jumps seem to just vanish without me using them, but they were all when I still had tap jump on. I'm guessing I just accidentally tapped up while doing an attack or getting hit and it counted as a jump that I didn't see. It hasn't happened yet with just the buttons. I could definitely see the issue with the ledge being legitimate, though. Hopefully they would patch it to play a different animation, but I doubt it.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
This happens to me especially with Sheik. It's basically what happens when you jump too late. Sucks really bad though, since you totally incorrectly perceive how things will be going off-stage. Think you got that edgeguard in the bag when you suddenly realize you're drifting away mashing X and nothing's happening. GG no re stage.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I am saying you spiking, more importantly, whiffing a spike. maybe I just double jump with out realizing, thus causing me to sd after wiffing a crucial spike lol.
Yeah, that is what's happening. A down-air is just a down-air, spike or not. Same goes for any aeriel. Only special attacks can sometimes consume your double jump, but this is almost always just your UpB

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Every time I've done this, it's been intentional. Yes, I have found times to use this intentionally. Get on my level. I don't mean to be condescending, but I think you guys should just work on your timing. No other smash games do this?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Some video proof of this happening is needed. Try to get a screen of your controls as well as the actual game. Otherwise, this is almost hearsay than error. I hate to be pessimistic on this, but being optimistic on it would not bode well, as I don't want it to be true haha

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's most likely you you using your second jump off the stage early, characters like sheik who are fast and can cancel their animations quickly tend to be hard to read in terms of whether or not you used your second jump, I would say just find a spot that you know you wanna jump from that's guaranteed to secure you're second jump

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
Seems like you'd really have to tap the jump button again to loose the double jump if the frames go away quickly. I've been having similar problems when it comes to recovery when I know for sure I haven't double jumped.
Though the case of me quickly tapping the jump button when I didn't know might still be in the possibility.

PragmaticEnigma

Smash Cadet
For some reason this has happened to me plenty of times. I turned of tap jump to make sure I wasn't crazy. I think it has something to do with the new ledge mechanic where you tumble, and when you jump you aren't on the ground anymore but using your second jump instead. Just enough off the ledge for the physics, but just close enough to not notice.

meowth_

Smash Cadet
It's cuz you forget that you used double jump, the general rule of thumb that I created was to always use up B whenever I know I can make it to the ledge because the ledge is a neutral situation and I'd rather be on a neutral situation than trying to use my double jump to put myself in what I believe is an advantageous situation.

Does that make sense?

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you just use your special to recover whenever you can, it's a 100% guaranteed safe choice, contrary to risking the 1 out of 100 random chance that you messed up and got hit out of your double jump (and you just don't remember it yet).

Idk how viable the ledge is now but in Brawl it was everything (ledge gave invincibility)

Last edited:

RunningChief

Smash Rookie
For some reason this has happened to me plenty of times. I turned of tap jump to make sure I wasn't crazy. I think it has something to do with the new ledge mechanic where you tumble, and when you jump you aren't on the ground anymore but using your second jump instead. Just enough off the ledge for the physics, but just close enough to not notice.
This.

When you run/walk off the stage you lose your double jump ability. If you jump while walking/running right at the ledge you'll do your double jump animation from the ledge.

Go into practice and test it out. It's frustrating when trying to pursuit someone off the stage.

Top Bottom