• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial "Marth is going to get NERFED!" Thread

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^You mean like in melee. He could only use his side B once there too, and it was even a little tricky to reset (you had to land in the defualt or special landing position, which means you can't be attacking while landing). And besides that, you're supposed to use the side B first and use the double jump later anyway. That way if you get hit you still have a double jump to work with (which is much more valuable than a floaty B). Really, his recovery didn't change at all, it's just that everyone else's got better.

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
The only reason every character is being nerfed right now is because we're not used to Brawl physics :b. As it seems right now (after two days.. I know, such a long time), everyone's just slower. Except for Sonic, I guess.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
He needed a nerf. Well, that's not exactly true. He needed his Tipper nerfed. If that wasn't so prominent, he'd be an extremely balanced and all-round level character.

I have faith that he is going to be that well-rounded character that we can all imagine.

Jx31

Smash Ace
No, Marth could use his side be many many many times. And then once you made it back to the stage with nothing but your jump and side bs you could up b to grab the ledge.
No, what Sonic Wave ment is that Marth's side-b in melee only gave you extra horizontal distance during the FIRST one. Every side-b you do in the air before landing after the first one doesn't give you extra distance aka pointless.

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
No, what Sonic Wave ment is that Marth's side-b in melee only gave you extra horizontal distance during the FIRST one. Every side-b you do in the air before landing after the first one doesn't give you extra distance aka pointless.
Eh? I hope you are referring to the fact that you cannot repeatedly hit side-b in succession for horizontal recovery. It sounded like you were saying that Marth can only do one side-b in the air, ever, until he lands and jumps again.

Jx31

Smash Ace
Eh? I hope you are referring to the fact that you cannot repeatedly hit side-b in succession for horizontal recovery. It sounded like you were saying that Marth can only do one side-b in the air, ever, until he lands and jumps again.
Yes, I was referring to the fact any side-bs after the first one in the air does not aid in horizontal recovery(in melee), I suck at wording things I guess.

Neemo

Smash Apprentice
SUPRISE SUPRISE.

The beastial wrath that is Marth and his quick and bloody-pain-at-the-tip sword (or phallus?) have returned perhaps not completely unharmed but still as voracious as ever.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No, Marth could use his side be many many many times. And then once you made it back to the stage with nothing but your jump and side bs you could up b to grab the ledge.
No. Let me explain exactly how Marth's side B worked in melee.

The first side B done in the air (and only the first) would completely stop your vertical (and actually make you go up very slightly) decent, without affecting your horizontal momentum. This is shown by how Marth can use his "floaty B" (the very first side B you use in the air) to stall in midair without moving side to side. For recovery purposes, it was usefull because you get the effect of a pound of sorts, allowing you to cover horizontal distance without losing any vertical distance and thus get closer to the stage. However you only get one "floaty B" per jump cycle, and all the other side Bs you do afterwards do not grant you the benifits. In fact, over using these side Bs will make you lose horizontal momentum (just try doing side Bs in as quickly as you can without entering the combo and you'll see what I mean.) So by that token, it's very important for you to reset the jump cycle when you get back on the stage. The jump cycle is only reset by the defualt and special landing animations, which are used when you land idle or after an up B or airdodge. Thus the only way to reset the jump cycle is to either use your up B, airdodge (or wavedash because it uses the special land fall animation), or fall from somewhere and land while your not preforming an attack. After doing one of those things you will have your "floaty B" back.

So far the only differences I noticed in brawl is that you don't get the boost if you've already used your second jump. For recovery purposes, this can easily be fixed by using your "floaty B" first, and the much more valuable second jump later. Generally this is how people recovered with Marth anyway, because having your second jump closer to the stage gives you a lot more options than having your floaty B, so this method of recovery was the better of the two to start with.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
For all you ignorant players, Marth is still a great character if not, the greatest character by Brawls standards.

He is basically the new sheik, on the verge of being broken. I'm not going to go into details but he is a very good character. Expect him to be one of the most overplayed characters in Brawl. So all you Marth fans, rejoice.

Top Bottom