• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unnecessary salt and the miiverse problem.

Do you think miiverse has a negative impact on the smash community?

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 82.1%

• Total voters

theflaminggamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflaminggamer2
Over the entire course of ssb4's lifetime, unnecessary salt has been a growing problem with online and with ssb4 players when mingling with players of other smash games, the most infamous case of this is the one unit argument, which is currently tearing our community apart. Personaly, I belive that most of this salt is from nintendo's social networking site, miiverse. While it does wonders for making the smash scene more public and attracts new players, some of the players it draws in are toxic and bratty and hence forth turns other players more like them. We need to end this and the one unit argument before it destroys us like brawl did.

busken

Smash Ace
For starters, in terms of social media Miiverse is nowhere near the problem of the division of the smash 4 community. Secondly, brawl didn't destroy anything, it just proved to be a disliked game amoung competitive players, resulting in it's death and giving light to mods such as balanced brawl, brawl -, and most notably Project M.

The term "salt" you're referring to isn't driving the community apart. What's driving the community apart are mainly rules of standard (3 stock vs 2 stock) (customs of customs on) (stage legalization) etc. This is happening due to the fact that the newcomer to veteran ratio is very much in the latter's favor, causing a bash of heads with the meta game. This doesn't spell the end for the future of Smash 4 as the game has proven to show competitive appeal, giving way to furthering the development of the meta.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I don't really see a lot of salt in Miiverse specifically, to be honest. From what I've seen, Miiverse is half uninspired effortless ****posting and half budding tweens who are just beginning to discover themselves sexually and expressing it without a filter (you'll notice that I still votes "yes").

@ busken busken Brawl had a large, healthy competitive scene for 5 years, which is a long time with no dev support or sponsorship. The main reason why Brawl died was because the community collectively decided to move on to the new game. The same thing happened with Melee back in 2008, the only difference is that Brawl players actually liked the new game.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Miiverse is actually the least of the community's problems. I find a lot more drama here on smashboards based on the ruleset debates busken mentioned. That being said I'm more inclined to have Miiverse as an alternative to Battlefield because a) they are so similar in the same way that FD and omegas are and b) while I don't mind most of the posts from 12 year olds like Goku joins the Brawl or Dark Pit sucks, I'd rather not see the perverted things.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I go on Miiverse a lot and spend a majority of my casually-oriented Smash play on there. I can agree that Miiverse is nowhere near a problem for the Smash community, and any of the salt on there is inconsequential to the grand scheme of things. It's what everyone thinks it is: a bunch of kids who like Smash. They mostly talk about how cool their new DLC is, show off their sixteen "mains", or post a funny screenshot for some quick Yeahs. You also have a decent mix of 8chan rejects, too, and very occasionally you have striving competitive players (or actual competitive players), but they don't often cause enough drama to actually make an impact. You do have the Wii Fit U community and all, though...

But, yes, Miiverse has little to no bearing on competitive Smash, which is fitting, seeing as it's not a central hub for competitive Smash.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
My only problem with Miiverse is that it gives me, what I call, the "Hippo Effect." Long story short, there's a stage in SFIV where hippos come out the water and I just can't focus on the fight, I just stare at the hippos. Miiverse has the same effect, and it doesn't help when every once in a while there's a really nice post and I just have to snapshot it.

That said, I'd be really sad to see it pulled from comp. play. Just turn off the internet and you're golden.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Miiverse is harmless and people need to stop looking at like they are so much better.

From what I've seen, it's mostly just people sharing their experiences with the game, making silly but harmless posts, or some character requests on occasion.

If we're talking about the actual stage and it's related communities though, then I'm even more confused. While some communities are a bit out there (ZSS is obviously full of pervy stuff), most of them are genuinely used for what they were created for. Some of them have patterns (Sonic's is full of Sanic/Gotta Go Fast memes, but there is nothing wrong with that), but overall I enjoy the posts I see a lot of the time.

I see far, far, FAR more genuine toxicity and stupidity on here, to be quite honest.

Last edited:

theflaminggamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflaminggamer2
Sorry guys, I was more focusing on the off topic "smashers" as they've deemed their community. Sorry I didn't specify.

IxaVerse

Smash Rookie
The only salty message I get is the generic "*Insert name here* sucks!" in an unreadable font.

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
The salt I see in miiverse is "they keep spamming -attack- everytime" and another one "-name- is a scrub" and also character support ahh fun to read those too. :laugh:

Top Bottom