• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

unlocking stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I really hope smash ultimate has thoughtful challenges to unlock characters and other stuff. Smash 4 was way too easy, and that took away from a lot of the fun of unlocking things. You shouldnt be able to unlock every character by simply playing 10, 20, 30 matches etc. That's really lame. Every character should have a unique way to unlock them wether it's beating the clasic mode, or other modes.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Agreed, I missed how interesting the process was from Melee. I worry somewhat that they said you'll feel like you're constantly recruiting, and one has to wonder how daunting of a task unlocking 60+ characters might be for some players with more difficult challenges in place where people have to dig to get to their mains, so if they can find a good balance, I'd be happy with that. More than anything, I want it to be interesting. You only really get to do it once, unless you want to clear your records and start over, so with a roster this big, it should be an exciting process while it lasts. It'll be fun to see what they have planned.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
the thing is, not everyone has the time to get really good and complete challenges... so having a very simple and easy way to unlock characters for younger players or players who just have very little spare time would still be preferable.

it doesn't have to be the ONLY way to unlock characters, of course, but i certainly don't wanna have to pour hours into a single frustrating challenge just to unlock a single character.

pretty much everything except the characters went untouched for me in smash 4, honestly.

i just refuse to play on high difficulties and torture myself with unfair events and stuff... i just wanna enjoy the game.

i am curious what you mean by "challenges"... do you mean doing stuff like "aura mastery", "kirby's crazy appetite" and other such impossible tasks?

cause if that's what you want characters to be locked behind, i imagine the majority of the fanbase won't ever gain access to the full roster.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Ya I see what you guys mean, especially with so many characters. I just don't want unlocking characters to be as easy as playing 10 matches, playing 20 matches, etc. Some characters can be unlocked that way, but make it mandatory for me to beat some break the targets challenges, or home run contest, or board the platforms etc. Beat 100 man melee, beat classic mode with x character in under x time. All the challenges can be reasonable difficulty as well. They don't all need to be grueling challenges. Just a nice vatiety and make it interesting. I don't Wana be rewarded just for turning the game on. That's lame.

But at the same time what's wrong with good challenging games? When u pick up a Mario or zeldagame you wana be able to breeze through it? Or u wana be challenged? Games need challenges. Smash is different cause there's multiplayer, but I like variety.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
While I agree that the unlocking process in Smash 4 was simply too easy, I really hope that one does not need to play any kind of story mode to unlock characters, Smash Run in 3DS and the brawl story mode were really boring for me. So, if a Story Mode is featured, I hope it's not the ONLY way to unlock characters.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
While I agree that the unlocking process in Smash 4 was simply too easy, I really hope that one does not need to play any kind of story mode to unlock characters, Smash Run in 3DS and the brawl story mode were really boring for me. So, if a Story Mode is featured, I hope it's not the ONLY way to unlock characters.
Story mode doesn't need to be the main way to unlock characters. Like I said, variety. I'm hoping for a variety of challenges that are fun. Not repetitive.

Though I'd also like to see a GOOD story mode. If the story mode was fun and interesting rather than generic, that would be good. There could be different stories for characters from diferent games, and the villans and hero's could have different stories as well.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I would be fine with multiple ways of unlocking.

Melee's method of having the player do various tasks is certainly the most interesting, as it encourages participating in the different elements of the game. I have to admit it was fun back in the day to mess around with different modes and options in hopes of finding something that may not have been known yet.

I do like having the fall back of playing X number of matches for those who only wish to play the multiplayer mode, even if it might take longer than other options, it doesn't force the player to have to use modes they do not want to. Plus, it was fun to just battle it out and then occasionally the winner gets the honor of freeing up the newest character.

A story mode unlock is fine, though a bit mundane in my opinion, I only unlocked one character in Brawl that way since I rarely touch the Single Player modes for anything other than getting the trophies. A story mode might be the easiest way to unlock characters without having to dedicate a long time before getting the one you want.

I've heard others make the case for having Amiibos unlock characters, which would probably be the fastest way to get specific characters and reward those who had already purchased the figures. Of course, some may see it as an unfair paywall, though as long as there's other, free ways of easily unlocking characters, I don't see the harm in it.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I would be fine with multiple ways of unlocking.

Melee's method of having the player do various tasks is certainly the most interesting, as it encourages participating in the different elements of the game. I have to admit it was fun back in the day to mess around with different modes and options in hopes of finding something that may not have been known yet.

I do like having the fall back of playing X number of matches for those who only wish to play the multiplayer mode, even if it might take longer than other options, it doesn't force the player to have to use modes they do not want to. Plus, it was fun to just battle it out and then occasionally the winner gets the honor of freeing up the newest character.

A story mode unlock is fine, though a bit mundane in my opinion, I only unlocked one character in Brawl that way since I rarely touch the Single Player modes for anything other than getting the trophies. A story mode might be the easiest way to unlock characters without having to dedicate a long time before getting the one you want.

I've heard others make the case for having Amiibos unlock characters, which would probably be the fastest way to get specific characters and reward those who had already purchased the figures. Of course, some may see it as an unfair paywall, though as long as there's other, free ways of easily unlocking characters, I don't see the harm in it.
Multiple ways for unlocking sucks. It's made for babies. It holds your hand. No - make games challenging again!

Last edited:

Xiammes

Smash Cadet
A good way to is to bring back brawls challenge board, with the hammers and knowledge you could unlock one or two characters you absolutely have to have right away. Since online matches count towards your total you could just unlock your favorite character, go online and play around. You can up the total number of matches needed, but not to a huge degree, maybe after the 100th match a character can unlock every 25 or so matches, since you have to unlock over 60 characters that can still take a while. All the characters should have specific unlocking conditions beyond that so people can enjoy the single player content.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
The interesting part about Melee's unlocking process, as MacDaddyNook pointed out, was that it made you explore the entire game and rewarded you for doing so. Smash Sandbag a certain distance, clear 100-man Melee, finish Target Smash with every character, defeat Luigi in under a minute in Adventure Mode, beat Classic mode with a certain character, finish the Event Matches... OR just play the multiplayer with your friends until you find everyone and root for them when they're fighting the character.

It was interesting because it made you run around and try everything the game had to offer you wouldn't normally feel interested in. It made you excited for the entire game. If that wasn't for you, just play around for a while. It worked for both types of people.

Challenges don't have to be difficult - just interesting. People like having options.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I really like to feel I'm discovering things in games and having a progress feeling, and unlock characters (and even stages) is a thing that I really want to do. I dont like when we just need to play some matches and winning or not we win the characters. I would be totally fine if the game had a list of challenges and what to do to unlock characters.
If a person doesnt have time to do it... look.. this game will be the main smash bros for at least 10 years, since they are not going to release another game for the same console and they are not going to release another console so soon. People will have time, and also, with the cloud save feature that is going to be released, there should be no worries about needing to do everything again if you lose your console or anything like that.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The interesting part about Melee's unlocking process, as MacDaddyNook pointed out, was that it made you explore the entire game and rewarded you for doing so. Smash Sandbag a certain distance, clear 100-man Melee, finish Target Smash with every character, defeat Luigi in under a minute in Adventure Mode, beat Classic mode with a certain character, finish the Event Matches... OR just play the multiplayer with your friends until you find everyone and root for them when they're fighting the character.

It was interesting because it made you run around and try everything the game had to offer you wouldn't normally feel interested in. It made you excited for the entire game. If that wasn't for you, just play around for a while. It worked for both types of people.

Challenges don't have to be difficult - just interesting. People like having options.
This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom