• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlockable costumes

yullow321

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else think that doing things like target smash and win a certain amout of matches with a certain character should unlock a different costume, rather than color just for more unlockables and variety. For example start with fox

start with him and if you complete your target smash you unlock......

Adventures fox who I dont know if adding moves would be good cause that should just be his own character but the more unlockables the better.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I so want this to happen it make the game so much more fun... Also why should Wario be the only one with costumes

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I think it'd be a great idea, because almost all of the characters in the game have a pretty deep history, but I doubt Nintendo will do it. The costume thing is also scary too, because Nintendo now uses DLC, and they might abuse it for this game.

iEatBabies

Smash Rookie
Forget Blood Falcon, give me this as an alt:

Phoenix

Running around looking like that majestic sonabitch punching people into the next dimension would be sooooo sweet.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Not including unlockable costumes would be a massive mistake given the rich potential afforded by Nintendo's vast game library. Alt costumes allow for representation for characters who couldn't make it in otherwise, as well as being just plain fun. I'm hoping that the Namco team's influence gives us alt costumes.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the ideas that I've discussed most frequently. But do you think it would it be a good idea if each costume came with a set of moves that could be available for customization? I've mentioned that quite a few times, but I didn't get a lot of feedback...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
This is one of the ideas that I've discussed most frequently. But do you think it would it be a good idea if each costume came with a set of moves that could be available for customization? I've mentioned that quite a few times, but I didn't get a lot of feedback...
That'd be pretty bad. Widespread customization is begging for imbalance, would be a headache for the team to develop, and will slow down jumping into matches as people will insist on tweaking every aspect of their characters. Dunno about you, but I don't want to sit at the Fighter Select screen for a minute every round because my friends/opponents can't decide on their moveset.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
That'd be pretty bad. Widespread customization is begging for imbalance, would be a headache for the team to develop, and will slow down jumping into matches as people will insist on tweaking every aspect of their characters. Dunno about you, but I don't want to sit at the Fighter Select screen for a minute every round because my friends/opponents can't decide on their moveset.
Oh lol well I didn't discuss how it would be handled, so I guess that's my mistake. I assumed that players would customize these moves before hand, so that you wouldn't have to sit there for how many minutes watching them customize...??? LOL
Second, call me a pessimist, but I don't think the new Smash will be a 100% perfectly balanced game on release. Customizable moves gives the player some options in "rebalancing" the roster if it turns out lopsided, or you could customize for fun. I imagine that tournament officials could even decide which movelists are tournament legal. Let's say Marth turns out to be bottom tier in the new game, but he has Roy's moves available for customization. You give him Roy's moves in some customization mode, and let's say Marth isn't bottom tier anymore...well that might not be a good example, but I think you get the point.
Anyway, it's just an idea I had. I'm all in favor of alternate costumes. Without them, I don't know how Nintendo is going to satisfy all the demands for characters.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
That didn't stop him from giving Wario two completely different costumes, both with their own set of palette swaps.
I almost never understand these excuses.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Check again sleeves are rolled up.
And no one cares about men's shoes. Men's shoes are boring. Call me when he gets some high heels.

yullow321

Smash Rookie
Check again sleeves are rolled up.
And no one cares about men's shoes. Men's shoes are boring. Call me when he gets some high heels.
Your right but just look at the designs too they look a whole lot different. I'm not trying to argue I'm just saying.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
For that matter, how is needing to play hundreds of matches to unlock characters NOT grindy? C'mon Sakurai.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

So, confirmed: no alternate costumes.

Now I'm starting to worry. Like, really.
No alt costumes and the possibility that they're going to allow the 3DS version to shackle the WiiU version worries me a bit. It suggests that they're a bit out of touch with what the fanbase will want.

The notion of customizable moves potentially being better than customizable costumes, as possibly implied by that interview, really worries me.

They say Miiverse actually matters, so let's put that to the test! Anyone with a WiiU, please get on that and let Sakurai know we want alts.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Well either costume identified Wario, for Sakurai it seemed.
Just like how a proper Blood Falcon/GX Captain Falcon costume would identify C. Falcon.
Just like how a proper gravity suit, dark suit, fusion suit, etc, would identify Samus.
Just like how a doctor's outfit..MIGHT identify Mario, not too sure on that one.

All I'm saying is, all of these characters have all of these different appearances and potential references that could work as alternate costumes.
Sakurai just needs to flat-out say "because I don't want to", because the excuses he gives out don't make that much sense.

Top Bottom