• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlockable characters, how likely are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Alright so right off the bat someone's probably going "The hell is this stupid question doing here?" I'll explain.

So we've learned last year that Sakurai is against spoilers in Smash so he doesn't want o hae a story mode in the game because people are likely to watch the cutscenes on Youtube or something, now given that information, there are three very good reasons for why I think Sakurai will scrap the idea of unlockable chaacters.

1. The same reason as the story mode cutscenes, people are likely to find the roster on the internet before playing the game.

2. The Japanese 3DS version comes out before everywhere else which mean early videos and live streams spoiling everything.

3. Online mode. Now let's say you're someone who didn't follow the updates at all, the most you know is the stuff talked about in E3 and the various directs including the Smash Direct, maybe you know less then that but you still want to get the game, it comes out, you get your copy, yo decide you wanna go online first, it's probably likely that you're gonna run into guys with unlockable characters to spoil for you.

Now I personally don't care if characters are unlockable or not but thinking about the stuff above kinda had me thinking that it's probably likely that all characters will be there from the start, now that doesn't necessarily mean we'll see everyone on the site before the game comes out they could keep characters hush hush until you boot up your copy and then suddenly Mewtwo is in the roster or something. I could obviously be wrong though cause I feel like the possibilities of both having everyone unlocked and havng to unlock characters is equal because ya know, on one hand you got the three things I mentioned above, and then there's obviously the fact that characters have been unlockable for the past three games

I could be totally wrong though and unlockable characters are probably guaranteed but this stuff just had me thinking about the other possibility so I thought I'd share it here.

Speculator

Smash Ace
There will be unlockable characters for sure, but I'm getting the feeling we're going to know the whole roster before the Japanese release. We've seen presumably all the Mario series characters, all the Fire Emblem characters... some of those must be unlockable. Since we're going to know all the characters before we play the game anyway thanks to the early Japanese release, I think Sakurai might just be throwing it all in and revealing the full roster.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
They wouldn't remove a feature that's been a staple of the series since 64. Especially not when the SSE is missing and it would give something to do instead of going straight online and exhausting it way too quickly. Unlockable characters at least give some kind of progression that the game would otherwise severely lack.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Whether we get any hidden is debatable, but there will definitely be unlockables.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
How likely? 100%

It's already been shown that Custom Moves need to be unlocked, I don't see why it would be limited to those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom