• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlockable Alternate Costumes

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
As we know, There are going to be alternate costumes for certain characters such as the villager and wii fit trainer. I enjoy unlockable things so I'm saying what I hope ends up happening for alternate costumes and unlocking. I believe costumes should be unlocked by doing certain thinks with that character. Most costumes should be similar to unlock and easy minus a few special ones in my mind.
Also the costumes such as Dr. Mario should have their own ability or power such as shooting pills but does not effect damage at all so it is the same character with different abilities.

Link
Skyward clothes- Beat classic with link.
Zora armor- Complete target smash on highest level.

Mario
Dr. Mario- Complete classic with no continues above easy.

Fox
Assault Skin- Beat on classic with fox
Marcus- Play 10 matches with fox
James- Complete classic on Hard with no continues with fox.

Bowser
Dry Bowser- Complete classic with bowser
Dark bowser/inside story- Target smash on highest difficulty
Mario Kart Skin- Win an online match of for glory.

Those are some examples and if something like that does happen which I really can't see them being unlockable I hope theres a lot. I don't know If I would want to fight an alternate costume of yourself like fighting an unlockable character, it just makes it more fun.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
Warning Received
dark mario (from mario sunshine)
finish all star and kill at least 5 opponents with the fluud

fierce deity link
complete classic on intense, no continues within X minutes

shiny for all pokemon
complete classic 10 times with the pokemon

yoshi black/white from yoshi's story
black: complete classic, all star and all the mini games available with yoshi
white: complete classic on normal, 3 stocks, no continues

sonic on shadow's colors
beat classic on any difficulty within 5 minutes

This last one is inappropriate. Stahp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Would like a Rocky skin for Mac. After he beats the red menace (Mario) in a one on one vs match in the ring. Or something.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
If Lucina isn't in the SSB4, Lucina alt costume for Marth plox.

As for unlocking it... Mmmm, Hardest difficulty of Classic with no retry?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I seriously want an actual SS Zelda costume, now that she doesn't turn into Sheik, there's no reason to not let us play as the heart-warmingly cute schoolgirl Zelda.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Outset Link - beat classic mode on Hard.

Sonic - Classic Sonic (I know classic sonic is shorter, but I've seen some pretty good mods that make classic sonic the same dimensions as Brawl Sonic and it looks good and fights the same) - unlock somehow I dunno.

Mario - Sunshine Mario
- pure. swag.

Olimar needs a Alph, Brittany, and Charlie costume. Louie too.

Villager - I feel like there will be more than the four we've seen, maybe not though.

Megaman - Protoman costume.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Outset Link - beat classic mode on Hard.

Sonic - Classic Sonic (I know classic sonic is shorter, but I've seen some pretty good mods that make classic sonic the same dimensions as Brawl Sonic and it looks good and fights the same) - unlock somehow I dunno.

Mario - Sunshine Mario
- pure. swag.

Olimar needs a Alph, Brittany, and Charlie costume. Louie too.

Villager - I feel like there will be more than the four we've seen, maybe not though.

Megaman - Protoman costume.
As long as Outset Link doesn't have the goddamn hat :/

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Small Giga Bowser Alternate costume or Paper Bowser(outlined Bowser)

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
As long as Outset Link doesn't have the hat :/
Yeah I'm worried that since Skyward Link has that hat then Outset Link would as well. I wouldn't be too devastated if he had the belt and stuff that Toon Link has, but I'd prefer as close to Outset Link as possible. I'm wondering if Outset Link is underneath Toon Link already, and an Outset Link would make the tunic and hat invisible just like in Wind Waker.

Just give me Outset Link in some form, hat, belt, Master Sword, whatever, I need my Outset.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah I'm worried that since Skyward Link has that hat then Outset Link would as well. I wouldn't be too devastated if he had the belt and stuff that Toon Link has, but I'd prefer as close to Outset Link as possible. I'm wondering if Outset Link is underneath Toon Link already, and an Outset Link would make the tunic and hat invisible just like in Wind Waker.

Just give me Outset Link in some form, hat, belt, Master Sword, whatever, I need my Outset.
The thing: If a bunch of non-professional (Not trying to undermine the PMBR's efforts here!) developers can make the costume for a fangame, I really don't see why Sakurai couldn't put the 100%-faithful Outset Island costume on the game

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
The thing: If a bunch of non-professional (Not trying to undermine the PMBR's efforts here!) developers can make the costume for a fangame, I really don't see why Sakurai couldn't put the 100%-faithful Outset Island costume on the game
Yeeeah that's what I was gonna say, but the Skyward Link costume made me kinda scared that he may want to take his own approach with Outset Link. That is if we get Outset Link, there is the theory out there that we may actually get Conductor Link in the game since Spirit Tracks is a stage and features Conductor Link. We'll see.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Would like a Rocky skin for Mac. After he beats the red menace (Mario) in a one on one vs match in the ring. Or something.
Like rocky rocky, the movie? If that was the case I don't care if it's dlc I would get it.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Mario - Referee Mario

Rosalina - Mario Kart Suit

Yoshi - Boshi

Mega Man - Proto Man

Pac-Man - Mrs. Pac-Man

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Mario - Referee Mario

Yoshi - Boshi

Mega Man - Proto Man

Pac-Man - Mrs. Pac-Man
These are all genius, especially Ref Mario with Little Mac in the game, Ms. Pac-Man seems obvious with Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, I already said Protoman, Racer Rosalina would be great with Zero Suit Samus, Peach could get that treatment too, all sorts of skin-tight outfits... and Boshi is just pure swag.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Ooh. Maybe you can unlock a Dark Pit skin for Pit.
I think if the recent Palutena poster and trailer are any indication, then yes we'll get a Dark Pit skin. Some are even going all out and saying he will be a whole new character, but thats a tad extreme.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Mario - Referee Mario

Yoshi - Boshi

Mega Man - Proto Man

Pac-Man - Mrs. Pac-Man
Where is boshi from It sounds so familiar.

I actually really want young link back as an alter for at least toon link.
Sorry if the pic doesn't work I'm not for sure how to do spoiler tags so if someone could tell me that would be nice

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Unlockable costumes would be a really cool way to provide additional rewards and incentives for players. I hope they include them rather than just sticking with the standard alternatives. :)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Like rocky rocky, the movie? If that was the case I don't care if it's dlc I would get it.
Yeah man. Mario starring as Dolph Lundgren

Edit: Also I think we can all agree that the Project M Costumes are awesome and should be included too. Here are some of the newest ones:

Best for last, that one.. I love these ideas a lot

Last edited:

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
I don't think character skins will completely change the character. A male Wii Fit Trainer is still a Wii Fit Trainer. Link in his Skyward Sword outfit is still Link.
I was joking

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Where is boshi from It sounds so familiar.

I actually really want young link back as an alter for at least toon link.
Sorry if the pic doesn't work I'm not for sure how to do spoiler tags so if someone could tell me that would be nice
Boshi is from Super Mario RPG.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man. Mario starring as Dolph Lundgren

Edit: Also I think we can all agree that the Project M Costumes are awesome and should be included too. Here are some of the newest ones:

Best for last, that one.. I love these ideas a lot
They can just expand the amount of single player gameplay so much if they have alternate costumes that are unlockable, it would actually have people play target smash and classic. I really hope to see a couple samus costumes

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm seriously hype for Grandmaster Robin and Great Lord Lucina outfits for the two, those outfits are so sweet they NEED to be included.

Also Boshi is a cookie hoarding jerk.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I would like to see captain falcon get a legit blood hawk costume not just a recolor.

Unlocking costumes would be a good way to invest more time in the game as well.

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Why not be more creative when it comes to the requirements for unlocking the costumes?

Instead of "beat classic on hard", we could have something like:

(Single player mode only, and you have to use the character when doing the following to get their costume)

Dr. Mario - Use a heart container when you are above 200%.
Baby Yoshi - Finish off an enemy with an egg on Yoshi's Island.
Broshi (Yoshi with glasses, dunno the name) - Don't get hit a single time during all of the matches. One really hard unlockable would be awesome.
Skeleton/Dry Bowser - Die at least X times on the final stage.
Zora Armor for Link - Kill an enemy in the water twice during the same match.
NES Pit - Use 3 different old school items in one match.
Shiny Pokémon - "Battle" at least 3 different Pokémon from enemy Pokéballs in one match.

Etc..

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Some really nostalgic or cool costumes should be really difficult to unlock so you can show off your mastery with that character online or when you have friends over. Other costumes could be easier just to give players more things to unlock without having to grind or rage lol

Khao

Smash Lord
You know what really bothers me about Smash sometimes?

There's no love for the classic Zelda games whatsoever.

Everything's from the 3D games.

We need an ALttP costume for Link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom