• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Unlikely' -_- (kind of a rant, but not really)

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
So I made a post about how I wanted 007 (James Bond) to make it into Smash.

This post was closed for talking about 'Unlikely Characters'. The person who closed it said that it was not limited to 007 himself, but also referenced Mickey Mouse, Goku, Wreck-It-Ralph, and others.

I don't see how this is considered 'Unlikely' considering Sakurai himself has stated that he himself wanted this to happen way back in smash 2 (For those of you who don't remember, thats Melee). Please explain...?

He got us Banjo-Kazooie. BANJO-KAZOOIE! Thats probably the 'Least Likely' character to make it in in my book. The duo hasn't had a game in years, and the only people that remember him know about him from people saying 'Banjo for Smash.'

This super strict 'No non-videogame characters' rule is garbage btw. Almost every character in Smash has been represented in non-nintendo tv shows, movies, anime, manga, comics, books, you name it.

I'm positive that by deleting or ignoring posts talking about Shrek, or Goku, or The Demogorgon (Stranger Things) is ignoring over 40% of all smash fans. Sure, we might never see Spongebob or Alex the Lion in the game, but at least listen to the points made in those posts before deleting them or reporting them.

If you think about it, these posts are made because in a lot of ways, these characters make sense. Shrek, Spongebob, Stranger Things, James Bond, and literally like everything ever have gotten NINTENDO games on multiple NINTENDO systems.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, don't trash ideas before reading them, just because you din't like the characters in mention possibly making sense to get in. This game is loved by everyone (all ages, races, sizes, etc.), so youe gonna have to get over yourselves and stop hating on kids for suggesting Mickey Mouse or Spongebob.

Personally, I think we won't be satified until everyone really is here, so I'm really open to anyone and everything to get in. I want Goose (Untitled Goose Game), Demogorgon (Stranger Things), James Bond (007), and multiple other characters that it would take me way to long to list)

Just please don't hate, block, or report posts just because what they have to say doesn't peek your intrests. (Sorry, Karen. )

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Unfortunately, 007 came from movies and books. That rule pretty much defeats the purpose of video games only characters. Sorry bro

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
-_- thats uh.... Exaclty what I said but whatever
The problem is this place is pretty much wanting to focus on those who came from video games only. Fourth party characters aren't exactly the type of characters that should be discussed for the time being. Had Sakurai opened up a can of worms and inserted someone like Goku, then yeah we got limited positibilities. I don't see it happening anytime soon since it will defeat the purpose of what Smash is about: the best of the best of games

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I am not familiar with all of the rules and regulations here yet, but if a moderator closes a topic for any reason it's prolly not the best idea to continue the discussion somewhere else. At least not without privately discussing it with the person who closed the thread down.

I did some searching and discovered that there's a reason for the no video game rule based on Masahiro Sakurai's own words. We can put anyone we want in the game with stage builder and Mii costumes. For a character like James Bond, you already know that at least there are workarounds like the idea I posted in your 007 thread.

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I am not familiar with all of the rules and regulations here yet, but if a moderator closes a topic for any reason it's prolly not the best idea to continue the discussion somewhere else. At least not without privately discussing it with the person who closed the thread down.

I did some searching and discovered that there's a reason for the no video game rule based on Masahiro Sakurai's own words. We can put anyone we want in the game with stage builder and Mii costumes. For a character like James Bond, you already know that at least there are workarounds like the idea I posted in your 007 thread.
Yeah sorry wasn't trying to target anyone or anything but I'm sick of looking online for 2 seconds without people closing stuff because of random things....

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I'm positive that by deleting or ignoring posts talking about Shrek, or Goku, or The Demogorgon (Stranger Things) is ignoring over 40% of all smash fans. Sure, we might never see Spongebob or Alex the Lion in the game, but at least listen to the points made in those posts before deleting them or reporting them.

If you think about it, these posts are made because in a lot of ways, these characters make sense. Shrek, Spongebob, Stranger Things, James Bond, and literally like everything ever have gotten NINTENDO games on multiple NINTENDO systems.
Ahhh..this post reminded me of the Smash Ballot situation a few years ago... the good ol' times...

Sakurai: *opens Smash Ballot site for 3DS/WiiU*
Nintendo: Feel free to vote for any character, just remember, videogames only!
"Smash fans": I want Goku, Shrek and Spongebob. They make sense if you think about it!

Sometimes, I wonder if Bayonetta was really planned from the start, or Sakurai just used the Europe results because the America ballot was filled with... "logical" examples such as the ones mentioned above...

Anyway! Back to this post, if you like/want/support any of the characters mentioned, good for you! However, if I were you I'd avoid using the expression "makes sense".

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh..this post reminded me of the Smash Ballot situation a few years ago... the good ol' times...

Sakurai: *opens Smash Ballot site for 3DS/WiiU*
Nintendo: Feel free to vote for any character, just remember, videogames only!
"Smash fans": I want Goku, Shrek and Spongebob. They make sense if you think about it!

Sometimes, I wonder if Bayonetta was really planned from the start, or Sakurai just used the Europe results because the America ballot was filled with... "logical" examples such as the ones mentioned above...

Anyway! Back to this post, if you like/want/support any of the characters mentioned, good for you! However, if I were you I'd avoid using the expression "makes sense".
I agree with what your saying, but thw point that I was trying to prove was that he himself wants 007 and other non-videogame characters, yet Nintendo forces us to pick from a super limited slate...

Abefroman

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ABEF#110
Switch FC
SW-7672-2689-2784
So I made a post about how I wanted 007 (James Bond) to make it into Smash.

This post was closed for talking about 'Unlikely Characters'. The person who closed it said that it was not limited to 007 himself, but also referenced Mickey Mouse, Goku, Wreck-It-Ralph, and others.

I don't see how this is considered 'Unlikely' considering Sakurai himself has stated that he himself wanted this to happen way back in smash 2 (For those of you who don't remember, thats Melee). Please explain...?

He got us Banjo-Kazooie. BANJO-KAZOOIE! Thats probably the 'Least Likely' character to make it in in my book. The duo hasn't had a game in years, and the only people that remember him know about him from people saying 'Banjo for Smash.'

This super strict 'No non-videogame characters' rule is garbage btw. Almost every character in Smash has been represented in non-nintendo tv shows, movies, anime, manga, comics, books, you name it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, don't trash ideas before reading them, just because you din't like the characters in mention possibly making sense to get in. This game is loved by everyone (all ages, races, sizes, etc.), so youe gonna have to get over yourselves and stop hating on kids for suggesting Mickey Mouse or Spongebob.

Personally, I think we won't be satified until everyone really is here, so I'm really open to anyone and everything to get in. I want Goose (Untitled Goose Game), Demogorgon (Stranger Things), James Bond (007), and multiple other characters that it would take me way to long to list)

Just please don't hate, block, or report posts just because what they have to say doesn't peek your intrests. (Sorry, Karen. )
I mean, with all due respect dude, 007 is a movie character and they've been pretty damn clear that only video game characters stand a chance of getting in. Some ideas get trashed because they're actually just... incorrect. It's like if i said "oh, I want the pillsbury dough boy in smash and if you think that's impossible **** you". 007 isn't gonna happen.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what your saying, but thw point that I was trying to prove was that he himself wants 007 and other non-videogame characters, yet Nintendo forces us to pick from a super limited slate...
Sakurai wanted to add James Bond but changed his mind at the end. I don't think he really cares about him at this point. We had both Brawl and 3DS/WiiU and the only thing that changed was the design of the Motion Sensor Bomb, the only remnant of Goldeneye 007. Gone. That's that.

As for the other non-videogames characters, I don't know who you're talking about. Are there any interviews or anything about that? The only one I somewhat remember is when Sakurai deconfirmed Goku and Iron Man.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Because 4th party characters should simply never be in Smash. Its simple. It'd literally ruin Smash discussion because every topic would be literally, Spongebob, Micky Mouse, etc at worst.

No.

D

Deleted member

This super strict 'No non-videogame characters' rule is garbage btw.
You're free to think so if you wish, but it is still a rule that the people who make Smash Bros. abide by. And that's probably why Smashboards locks topics talking about non-video game characters.

Top Bottom