• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Universal Model Converter - Side Development Thread

left or right? (a 20x20 toggle at the top of the window)

• Left (under the window icon)

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Right (under the X button)

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
oh comon >3<
lol jk

nah, redstone is basically minecraft's version of electronics ;)

as for KAR, I want to see Pikachu riding the Slick Star >3<
I really don't have any sort of set time, I still need to figure out the proper structuring for the format...

but I still need to actualy write an export script for something supportive >_>

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
What I would really love to do in Kirby Air Ride is create multiple city trial maps and include a bunch of new events and stadiums. That's what I really want, but I figure that might be very hard to do.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
wait for UGE, you'll be able to import the game, edit it with aid from all my simplifications to game editing, and export it as a Wii ISO

hopefully we can hack WiiU to accept ISO files :)
I'd love to HQ-LP everything ^_^

EDIT: screw that... PS4 PW3R!

EDIT2: btw, did I mention I'm already looking into programming neural networks :)
imagine a prototype of AII built into UGE :)

heck not just that, but neural networks can be used to find complex logical paths, such as code analysys to tell me how to improve my runtime loop.

Last edited:

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
I hate to tell you this, but any time you say something about "complex logical paths" or "nueral networks" or "All" or "UGE" or "runtime loop" or any other acronym, I literally have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The only acronym I understood in the above statement was ISO.

But that sounds great if you can export a modified game as an ISO. Then you could play it on the Dolphin Emulator, right?

Also, is there a difference between a GameCube and a Wii ISO? Would a modified KAR game have to be exported as a Wii ISO instead of a GameCube ISO?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
lol, don't worry about telling me that, most people here would say the same thing XD
all it takes is a little get-up and go, and don't forget, I'm a resource ;D

anyways, yea, they're similar in all except a small ID and a few names in the file if I'm not mistaken
so yea, just export the virtual game (imported to UGE) as a Wii ISO :)

NOTE: that's how everything works, it's all bottle-necked into a virtual memory space (in RAM)
^ that's why earlier I was talking about using HDDs as virtual space, for something like a 7GB game on 4GB RAM

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
I happen to have a great machine with a lot of RAM, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Also, have you been communicating with StarLand on any of this recently? Has he helped contribute to this so far?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
unfortunately no :(

havn't talked to him since I lost net
but he said he's not into hacking anymore, thanks to StapleButter and other douches putting him down for it.

so what if he was a "little kid" about his works, so was I when I got into hacking...
and yea, he says I know more than him...
but truthfully I want him to learn from me.

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
Ah, I see. Well, he seemed to be figuring out some stuff even if you do know more than he does. Regardless, I hope that a Kirby Air Ride hack can become a reality soon; I'd love to have more city trial maps on that game so much!

D3WD

Smash Rookie
wait for UGE, you'll be able to import the game, edit it with aid from all my simplifications to game editing, and export it as a Wii ISO

hopefully we can hack WiiU to accept ISO files :)
I'd love to HQ-LP everything ^_^

EDIT: screw that... PS4 PW3R!

EDIT2: btw, did I mention I'm already looking into programming neural networks :)
imagine a prototype of AII built into UGE :)

heck not just that, but neural networks can be used to find complex logical paths, such as code analysys to tell me how to improve my runtime loop.
Hey so I have been reading through your thread and playing around with UMC 3.0A. I am able to successfully export models using the HAL script (the first instance of the HAL Script) but I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

#1 Which release version should I be using? In the thread here you refer to a version 4.5 and a version 5.0. I just need to know which version is the most complete for exporting character models to .obj format (I assume this is the best format for bringing things into Autodesk, please let me know if there is a better way).

#2 I notice when I view the model in the UMC 3.0A, I am able to see the skeleton of the model within the UMC GUI, but when I open the .obj file in Autodesk Maya, the skeleton does not carry over. It could be that I am not doing something right but I wanted to see if this is a known issue or if I am just not seeing something.

Thanks in advance for the help, tool works great for trophy models and character models, now I am just hoping to be able to bring it all into autodesk and get working. If it doesn't support bringing over the skeleton noes then maybe I will just start from scratch and work in autodesk since the model shells are working.

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Hey so I have been reading through your thread and playing around with UMC 3.0A. I am able to successfully export models using the HAL script (the first instance of the HAL Script) but I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

#1 Which release version should I be using? In the thread here you refer to a version 4.5 and a version 5.0. I just need to know which version is the most complete for exporting character models to .obj format (I assume this is the best format for bringing things into Autodesk, please let me know if there is a better way).

#2 I notice when I view the model in the UMC 3.0A, I am able to see the skeleton of the model within the UMC GUI, but when I open the .obj file in Autodesk Maya, the skeleton does not carry over. It could be that I am not doing something right but I wanted to see if this is a known issue or if I am just not seeing something.

Thanks in advance for the help, tool works great for trophy models and character models, now I am just hoping to be able to bring it all into autodesk and get working. If it doesn't support bringing over the skeleton noes then maybe I will just start from scratch and work in autodesk since the model shells are working.
.obj doesn't support bones/weights.

legoj15

Smash Rookie
NNID
legoj15
3DS FC
4441-8940-6379
I just need to know which version is the most complete for exporting character models to .obj
Yeah, .obj is the format I use for meshes without any bone weight. Exporting a model with bones as an obj won't export the bones with it. I would say use a .dae, or .fxb, but UMC(the current public release of this program) doesn't support exporting in those formats. UGE(the future release) will have addons that support exporting to many formats. I'd say wait, unless you know Python good enough to rework all of Tcll's work :p

And Tcll Tcll i would love to help with development if I weren't in school & had more free time on my hands, but I have school work and personal projects that I'm working on. I might just end up being an addon creator, but as of now I'm inept at all computer languages and would be more of a burden than i would be helpful. All I can say for now is do what you want to do with UGE and never make development a "oh god I don't want to work on this today" kind of thing (talking from personal experiences)

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
Also, I have another question; what video game systems would this program not be able to interpret information from? For example, you mentioned that the Wii U games probably wouldn't work with this program. Would something like the Nintendo DS work with this?

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you're not the only one that wants Melee character models with the skeletons and weights. I have my own reasons for it, but getting them would be a good thing for me too.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I might just end up being an addon creator, but as of now I'm inept at all computer languages and would be more of a burden than i would be helpful.
don't ever call yourself a burden plox :)
I actually have fun teaching python to others who want to help ;)

never make development a "oh god I don't want to work on this today" kind of thing (talking from personal experiences)
lol when things get that bad, I just call a break on it and come back to it later.
I have too much fun doing what many people tell me I can't do to quit working on this ;)

not only that, but I have too much of a drive with too many projects I need this thing for,
so you can expect I'll be working on this for a long time. ;)

JohnTravolski JohnTravolski
about support...
this is actually one of the current problems I'm facing I'd like to overturn, which was the initial reason for developing the 3.0 formatting interface, which still has yet to be ported to this current version.

I don't recall saying WiiU wouldn't be supported, although I do recall saying something about playing ISOs on WiiU may not be possible...
nah if I can support something, I will...
UMC already has a more supportive interface than any C program out there.
(though it still has it's limits as the backend still holds raw python values which rely on C-standard value-types)
^ I'm looking into making this limitless to hold something as unreasonable as a 1024-byte IEEE754 float value

but again, all support will have to be extended to support UMC's soon to be extendable backend.
(it's extendable now, but changes need to be made to accomidate for previous versions)
^ the SES format is currently more hassle than it's worth, which is the reason for indirect SESv2 which relies on the API.

all of the support relies on modifications to both the API and the SES format.
(by SESv2 the support will be entirely on the API)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
just to note (this post is all note), I'm planning to scrap PyOpenGL and build my own, more-direct, wrapper.
(I've already done this with GLFW and FreeType, making them into single-module wrappers)
^ GL is another story though as it's many times more complex.

I've also been looking into more-performative coding practices, for example:
- the dot operator is slow, so to boost the overall performance, reference once and store locally:

ref = module.submodule.function
ref( val1 )
ref( val2 )

and then of course there's always the infamous:

from module.submodule import function

also, it's better to avoid:

from module import *

^what that does is merge the module.__dict__ with the globals() dict which oversizes it, creating major overhead (RAM use).
(dictionaries are like atoms, they become more unstable the larger they get)

Last edited:

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
Well, since I have such a limited vocabulary, I guess that means that I know what I'm saying. My dictionary is small, so it must be quite stable.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
welp, looks like I'll be disappearing for a while...
not sure when I'll have net again other than public wifi off mother's phone >_<

see you guys whenever

D3WD

Smash Rookie
welp, looks like I'll be disappearing for a while...
not sure when I'll have net again other than public wifi off mother's phone >_<

see you guys whenever
Any chance you will release a version of UGE beta before you go or pm the source code to a few ppl? It is written in Python right?

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
nah...
like I said, it doesn't work atm, and I like to release or share things that work ;)

also, it's UMC for now, UGE is when you're able to actually import ISOs or EXEs and edit/export them to whatever ;)
(that will be quite a while)

but yea, it's currently Python27 for PyOpenGL performance purposes,
however, I do plan on updating the interpreter to Python34 (last interpreter to work on WinXP) after building my own more-performative OpenGL ctypes wrapper ;)
(it won't function like PyOpenGL with the versioning restrictions and all, but it'll be many times faster with a load less overhead)

EDIT:
btw, don't expect me to never return after this.
I WILL find a way to update ;)

UMC/UGE gives me the perfect opportunity to rub my works in the faces of everyone who told me this stuff was impossible >:3
(the more you tell me I can't do it, the more I will do it) ;D

EDIT2:
if you'd like to lend a hand in development, PM me and I'll send you an invite link to my UGE dev chat :)

EDIT3:
screw it...
just try to avoid struct() and array() as I need to work on the custom iterators for their return values
https://www.dropbox.com/s/02emscvcuwwceyj/UMC_v3.0a.zip?dl=0
but that's everything up to date :)
beware though there's alot of borked stuff

EDIT4:
btw, the Copy links will be disappearing
apparently the copy service is being discontinued -.-
so that's why I've uploaded to filthy DB

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
so hey, anyone here wondering about the Melee animation format, it's being looked into :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-animation-model-workshop.433432/

a few guys from my dev chat have been looking into it as well.
I have not because I need to redo the formatting interface and the viewer first
I need to have a solid method to display something before I can know it works properly

but hey, that's what's coming up after the data system :)
(I'm not releasing until I've fully ported everything ;))

btw, if I'm swinging like a sea-saw on the ideas here, it's because of the whole ordeal to port the interface,
so don't be surprized at how many time I may contradict myself

half of the issue is my autism here

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
well, for some news, I'm starting a wiki for UMC/UGE on GH :)
currently I'm just planning to list all supported model formats and how they work.

I'll link to it whenever it's ready :p

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
when I'm ready to release, I'll update the OP...
in fact, I'm thinking I'mma localize the download to either my forum or my GH Wiki until I build my sever...

I'm about done relying on 3rd-party services which can't hold themselves up and/or put silly limitations on me,
and I don't have the time to update the links in over 16 locations.

yea, I think my wiki would be the better place, cause my forum will change when I get my server up.

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
Sorry for not doing very much searching, but is there a user guide to the current version that you have released? My brother wants to try and convert some models to .bcres (I don't even know if that's possible) and he can't figure out how to use the program.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
How bout IQM :)

Anyways, so I got sick of the old horrid 3.0a format interface and have been working on a newer port of the 3.0 interface.

Had some issues with the old interface after getting the new data interface working...
Didn't feel like fixing 50 functions again, so I just ported instead.

So I'm almost finished building the existing support, but now I need a new viewer and gui.

On a good note though, this now means many less development issues, meaning things can get done faster. :)

I've already built a few new support features into the new interface, one of which planned since the development of 3.0 called roots.
Basically, you know how you can only work on 1 model at a time...
Well roots allow you multiple workspaces created on a new import. :)

Roots can currently be merged, copied, arranged, or of course deleated, with plans for more integration features in the future.

More to see when I release :)

Sorry for the time that's taking though :(

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I looked into IQM, and it supports joints/weights, and has Noesis support. Go for it!

Hell, if you can get a simple Melee .dat to IQM converter released to tide people over until you actually get UMC back off the scrap pile for what feels like the 16th time, you'll be WAY ahead of the game and probably a hero to a ton of people over in the Melee Workshop, over on kc-mm, AND to places like TMR.

I honestly think you're aiming way, way too high at the moment, and need something to get people to sit up and notice first.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Yea tbh, I'mttryin, bbu . I'msstuckbbetween a rockaanda hhardpplacewwithddevelopmen. ..

But ye, tthat'sssomethingiI'mwworkingon.
Sorry bout tthettex. ..
TThis forum kills tthispphone

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
I must be looking over it, but can somebody please post the link to download the most recent version of this program? The ones that I click at the beginning of the forum don't work for me for some reason.

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
As soon as I double click on the "UMC.exe" file, it appears in my taskbar for a moment and then it crashes seconds afterward. The command prompt briefly shows up before it disappears as well. No window opens anywhere on the desktop other than the command prompt.
http://prntscr.com/beiths

Last edited:
Top Bottom