• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underused options and n̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶e̶c̶h̶s̶ (not new techs)

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Roll cancel item throw

During initial roll frames you can press A with the control stick in the direction of the roll to smashthrow an item. There are a couple of applications for this.
  • It allows you to smash throw OoS which goes farther
  • It allows you to smashthrow turnips OoS behind you without jumping
  • Easy, consistent, and more useful alternative to Pivot smashthrow because it can be done out of running shieldstop or pivot shield out of a dashdance
Here is the frame data for turnip throws in case you wanna know.
-------------------------------------
Veggie throw ground

Total: 23
release: 10 (forward, back)
Release: 11 (up)
Release: 9 (down)

CC ftilt

In case anyone is wondering, I have the hitstun color overlay set to black so fox is hard to see after I hit him with ftilt.
Anyway take a look at the frame data for ftilt
F Tilt

Total: 41
Hit: 6-13
IASA: 37
Just like Samus dsmash it is a frame 6 ground option. As shown in the gyf Ftilt can be done out of a crouch by holding the control stick at the diagonal notches and hitting A. If your notches are too low you can always roll it a bit upwards along the gate and hit A after CCing an attack. Alternatively you can try to adjust your notches.
Anyway CC ftilt has a few advantages over CC dsmash.
  • Has more horizontal reach than dsmash
  • Can hit airborne opponents such as a marth thats spacing rising fair and can even hit Falcon out of his nair beore the second hit comes out
  • Can combo fastfallers at high % instead of sending them far behind.
  • Can combo shiek for a large % range
  • Can set up juggles on floaties

SH rising dair/upair -> buffer float

This is the new tech(as far as i know) that I menioned earlier. Having looked at Peach's frame data for her SH and her aerials I realized that her high SH actually has a lot of utility but is underused as most peaches opt to FC aerials instead.
Anyway, if you hold X/Y during SH rising upair/dair you'll buffer a float before you hit the ground and keep your DJ. Another advantage is that you can drift the whole time you're airborne whereas a float aerial requires a downward input which delays your spacing and hitboxes.

Upair: basically like a Float upair but it hits higher, covers more space, and comes out a little faster. It's better for juggling and is a great tool for sharking under platforms.

Dair: SH rising dair is an amazing move for stuffing characters who lack disjointed approaches like Fox, sheik, Luigi, pika etc. The SH height lets you avoid projectiles(fox lasers) and close distance without being susceptible to CC/ASDI. You can hit dair and drift away to avoid punishes and buffer float to keep moving backwards and have the option to stuff with a FC aerial. Alternatively you can SH rising dair-> nair to punish an ASDI down attempt as SH rising dair ->nair will trade with a frame 4 option and beat anything that is slower. If it hits shield a low nair is 0 on shield so you'll still be safe.
You can also waveland out of SH rising dairif you wanna pull away real fast.

SH rising bair -> DJ float

Really underused tool although it is a situational one. It is great at stuffing SH aerials because of the height and good against lasers(both). Before Peach hits the ground you can DJ but you have to keep rising for a bit or you'll float land. If you hold X/Y, tap jump, and then immediately hold down you'll float as shown in the gyf.

Edit: in case the gyfs here are too laggy you can view them here

Last edited:

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
How useful do you think these can be? Like could this advance Peach's metagame by a lot? Could it make her better and more used? I feel like if Armada doesn't see this or doesn't care and/or doesn't use them it could just be ignored because practically all Peach mains look up to Armada.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
How useful do you think these can be? Like could this advance Peach's metagame by a lot? Could it make her better and more used? I feel like if Armada doesn't see this or doesn't care and/or doesn't use them it could just be ignored because practically all Peach mains look up to Armada.
I have to go back to fix and add to this post because theres a bunch of **** I forgot to include. But to give you some sort of response, CC ftilt can hit marth out of his rising fair before the second one comes out. Roll cancel item throw can help you punish crossups and fading aerials. Theyre options that werent available to peach before so imo it does make a difference.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
The only interesting thing to me is crouch cancel f tilt. I mean everything is known but I've never really thought about crouch cancel f tilt before.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
The only interesting thing to me is crouch cancel f tilt. I mean everything is known but I've never really thought about crouch cancel f tilt before.
People use SH rising dair -> buffer float?

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
How useful do you think these can be? Like could this advance Peach's metagame by a lot? Could it make her better and more used?
nope, not anymore than anything else that exists currently

exactly my thoughts lol. the first one is just glide tossing, the other two are used and nothing too special, but cc side tilt is at least interesting on paper and underused

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
People use SH rising dair -> buffer float?
Yep. Wave landing out of it is pretty cool.

P.S: Or at least I use it : p And I mean anything like that is discovered, no offense. Like it is literally just doing a move and holding a button.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Armada just demonstrated "Roll canceled item throw" on his stream and he explained the benefits and he already knew about it.

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
Yeah, I think f tilt is underused even without CC. Probably because it's because it's too slow lol
I think with CC though, this is probably a pretty good option for all characters. It does reach far and is perfect for grabs/tech chases. It can ward off opponents and do some percent otherwise. It might not work if Marth hits tipper and spaces it really well; he doesn't need to do much to avoid it and punish with f smash I think, can't test at the moment.

Rococo

Smash Rookie
You can jump cancel turnip throws oos whats the diff?
You can't, actually, unless you are throwing the turnip upwards. If you want to do a normal throw you can just press A. If you want to do a smash throw sideways or down you will need to use glide toss.

Top Bottom